Ensign
# 1 STO & NaNoWriMo
09-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Hey guys,

November is around the corner and, for those of you not familiar with it, November is also the month during which NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) takes place. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to encourage people to write a 50,000 word novel in one month.

Since writing fanfiction counts for NaNoWriMo as well, I was wondering if anyone is planning to write a fan novel set in STO (or if anyone has already done so)? I think I'd like to do one myself, though whether or not I'd be able to I'd have to see closer to the time.

I think it could be a fun way to explore the STO universe and perhaps, for those who finish their novels, we could share it here in a thread for others to read.

Any thoughts?

Bren
Captain
# 2
09-21-2012, 03:00 AM
Does fanfiction count? I thought they had some pretty stringent rules about it being an entirely original piece of writing.

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw View Post
Does fanfiction count? I thought they had some pretty stringent rules about it being an entirely original piece of writing.
I know of someone who wrote a piece of Gundam SEED Fanfiction for NaNoWriMo two years ago, so I'd assume that Fanfiction counts.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diotw View Post
I know a ton of fanficcers who use it as an excuse to finally pound out that big bang fic they've wanted to do, then come back in April or May and shave the serial numbers off. Is it kosher? :handwave: Is it done? Yes - if not on the official site, all over LJ/DW/IJ/Tumblr.
Captain
# 5
09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Well that's good to know! Maybe I'll have another crack at it this year then.

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!