Captain
# 1 TOS on Netflix
09-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Once I'm done watching Voyager, I'm going to go back and watch the original series that started it all. I was wondering though, for anyone who might have already watched the version of TOS that Netflix has for streaming in the US, is it the remastered version, with the updated effects, or is it as it was in the 60s?

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Career Officer
# 2
09-20-2012, 04:59 AM
It is the remastered version. The updated effects do wonders for the show, without changing anything serious.

Enjoy!
Lieutenant
# 3
09-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmarvelush View Post
It is the remastered version. The updated effects do wonders for the show, without changing anything serious.

Enjoy!
Yes! Very much so, i started last week casually watching the episodes through again . Too bad there isn't much more of the movies on stream.
Captain
# 4
09-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Oh, that's good to know. And yeah, it's weird that there aren't more of the movies available on their streaming service. They have all the TV series, and Star Trek: Insurrection. And that's it. XD

This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
Career Officer
# 5
09-21-2012, 04:40 AM
I know. When I first got Netflix, the first movie I searched for was The Wrath of Kahn. Nowhere to be found. I was seriously bummed out.
Commander
# 6
09-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmarvelush View Post

Enjoy!
I'll agree that the remastered effects are wonderful but at least the remastered versions I've seen managed to cut out many, many wonderful bits of dialogue (for no good reason that I could see). Just one example... in "The Doomsday Device" when Spock relieves Commodore Dekker of command there's a line that was cut in the remastered version where Dekker tells Spock he's bluffing... Spock responds, "Vulcans never bluff"... Dekker looks at him a moment then says, "No... I don't suppose that they do". Lot's of little bits of dialogue business like that were cut for no reason and many of them were some of the more quotable lines from the series as well as wonderful bits of character development.

I love the reworked graphics in the remastered series... but not at the expense of the dialogue that was lost. I can us my imagination with old effects... you can't "use your imagination" for lost dialogue with the same effectiveness... especially if you've never heard the dialogue to begin with.
ZOE: "Sir! You paid money for this?... on purpose??"

KIRK: "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?"
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
09-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Remastered, except for Obsession's space fight.
And I'm obsessed with that!