Ensign
# 41
09-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seetherius View Post
Is this a clue that one or more of our BOFFs will play an active role? Do they finally play a bigger part of story progression than just simplying telling me what's going on? Can they maybe lead their own away team or other assignments?
This makes me really curious, since the role of our BOFFs storywise were rather limited.
It would be extremly nice to give your individual boffs each their own character than rather just an exchangeable NPC (compare CO's nemesis system where you have to choose a behaviour for them).
That would be great! Ever since STO launched, I was hoping for more Boff functionality and to develop them as "people" and not just a list o space and ground abilities with a costume (which they are now).

In general, in the 2.5 years that STO existed, Cryptic didn't develop the Boffs at all and actually took a step backward in Boff development. I remember that back in Beta, there was an option to select the Boffs voice, but was deleted when STO launched, showing Cryptic's attitude to devloping Boffs.

I'm hoping that this idea of more in depth Boffs will evolve into an oppurtunity to devop the Boffs' characters and make STO more "Trek-like".
Star Trek: Lockbox

Kirk: Scotty, Stuff that 2 million ton D'kora into the Lockbox or else STO fails.
Scotty: I canna change the laws of physics!!!!!!
Kirk: Of course you can you're a miracle worker.
Captain
# 42
09-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Dan, if all these State of the Game speeches are going to be fluff, just skip some months until you have concrete things to tell us. That was one big filler speech of the obvious. Its obvious you arent going to change your magical calendar regardless of what we all think. So how about you just release the calendar in your office? If it changes a little, fine. But at least we can all have something semi-SOLID to look forward to and know what you guys are working on when you arent telling us anything. We can at least say hey, "they are working on X in December. I'll never understand why your production calendar is so damn secretive. It wouldnt hurt to have more anticipation on your side.

Ugh........why do I even bother....................................
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Captain
"(The Klingon Empire

The KDF faction has a long history of trying to establish itself and has suffered greatly from the "what is it going to be?" thrash. While there is a passionate contingent of KDF players at max level who want more KDF specific content, there is also a large number of players who pass on playing in the KDF because you cannot build a KDF character as your first. In either case, the KDF wants to feel established and have their own agenda in the game instead of always playing the "foil" to the Feds. The best way we could tackle this issue is to take a ?build it and they will come? attitude and find a way to let players create Klingons as their first and primary character.)"

So this is the Argument - players have to start a Fed character first - therefore we have to market to the Fed base. Until we get levels 1-22 done on th KDF side we can't do very much with the KDF. Ok I get this. How about this then:

When a person reaches the level that they a can start a KDF character why don't you have a big "pop-up" window - like you get when being promoted, that says : "Congratulations you are now eligable to start a Klingon Character - would you like to go to the log in screen and create one? - (option to click OK or Cancel)

Then when they re-login if they clicked cancel you have a window come up - "you are eligable to create a KDF character would you like to now? _ok or cancel - and provide a little check box just like almost every other software that says "do not show this message again" if they don't want to.

If you implimented something like this then I would actually believe you have some intentions to do something with the KDF. If not since this seems to be such and easy implimentation in the meantime, i will believe that you want every player to continue down the path of the biggest money generator(Fed) and don't really want more players moving on to the KDF.

Also the exact same notice could be used if the RSE is brought into the game.

So what is it?

Last edited by levi3; 09-22-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Lieutenant
# 44
09-22-2012, 08:06 PM
What is so interesting to me is that they are gonna introduce a whole bunch of new stuff which is great but however all this great new stuff is going to include the old bugs that have been there forever. They say the devs have been overloaded ok fine, let them skip a week over the minor junk they are fixing which is useless for the most part and fix some of the major ones(like the exchange). But wait dont want to do that lets commit to much more major things instead of fixing the bad stuff we have already.

Overall its a good game. Please though get some GM's though that know the game and hopefully ones that are not so rude to the players.
Empire Veteran
# 45
09-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
"(The Klingon Empire

The KDF faction has a long history of trying to establish itself and has suffered greatly from the "what is it going to be?" thrash. While there is a passionate contingent of KDF players at max level who want more KDF specific content, there is also a large number of players who pass on playing in the KDF because you cannot build a KDF character as your first. In either case, the KDF wants to feel established and have their own agenda in the game instead of always playing the "foil" to the Feds. The best way we could tackle this issue is to take a ?build it and they will come? attitude and find a way to let players create Klingons as their first and primary character.)"

So this is the Argument - players have to start a Fed character first - therefore we have to market to the Fed base. Until we get levels 1-22 done on th KDF side we can't do very much with the KDF. Ok I get this. How about this then:

When a person reaches the level that they a can start a KDF character why don't you have a big "pop-up" window - like you get when being promoted, that says : "Congratulations you are now eligable to start a Klingon Character - would you like to go to the log in screen and create one? - (option to click OK or Cancel)

Then when they re-login if they clicked cancel you have a window come up - "you are eligable to create a KDF character would you like to now? _ok or cancel - and provide a little check box just like almost every other software that says "do not show this message again" if they don't want to.

If you implimented something like this then I would actually believe you have some intentions to do something with the KDF. If not since this seems to be such and easy implimentation in the meantime, i will believe that you want every player to continue down the path of the biggest money generator(Fed) and don't really want more players moving on to the KDF.

Also the exact same notice could be used if the RSE is brought into the game.

So what is it?
I like that idea, another alternative is to allow people to start a KDF player right off the bat. You still start at level 20 but you can create your first character as a KDF. It should be easy to do and allow more people to have their first character as a KDF. I see no sense in forcing one to play a Federation first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Lieutenant
# 46 relatively new to STO
09-22-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm relatively new to STO(under 90 days playing) but have already worked my way to Vice Admiral. I apologize , in advance, if this question or topic has already been addressed. I'm a lifelong Star Trek fan & I really love playing STO, but from the start, I have always had a query about the apparent lack of content. The Star Trek universe is vast and wide open(with 4 TV series, almost a dozen motion pictures, and a plethora of canonical books, comic books, etc...) with an immense amount of material from which to draw endless, high quality story arcs for playable content. STO is almost 3 years old and I would think, considering my previous sentence, there would be MUCH more content created in those 3 years.
Is it lack of developers, programmers, etc... that is responsible for this OR is it some type of contractual issue between PW/Cryptic and CBS/Paramount Studios? I would accept the argument that PW/Cryptic may have to get all developing canonical STO content OK'd by CBS/Paramount in order to avoid infringing on intellectual property or copyrights. If this is the case, PW/Cryptic should be doing all they can to "nudge" CBS/Paramount into loosening the reigns on the canonical story generation abilities a bit.
Captain
# 47
09-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
I like that idea, another alternative is to allow people to start a KDF player right off the bat. You still start at level 20 but you can create your first character as a KDF. It should be easy to do and allow more people to have their first character as a KDF. I see no sense in forcing one to play a Federation first.
I am afraid that would not work as the basic mechanics of starship fighting, ground fighting and skill point allocation are learned by the new player during the early levels. Still there is zero reason not to implement my idea if they really want to drive more people to the KDF. My idea would take only a couple days(at most) of coding and be an early reminder that they can choose the KDF. As it stands right now I would guess 90%+ go right to VA for some time before trying the KDF - if they do at all.
Commander
# 48
09-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Just to let you know that the KDF future does indeed not look as bright as promised by Stahl.
Here is what he says concerning the KDF in Q&A and it does not look good:

http://priorityonepodcast.com/wordpr...s-way-kdf-q-a/

KDF isn't up for anything before 2013, if even then.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-23-2012, 12:56 AM
so nothing has been noted for changes yet, but there is an idea about merging some of these foundry missions. interesting, but the question is when?

condensed the index of the PvP to sympathy, but nothing stated if there is going to be a fix.

a small bit of background on the KDF and how they should be, but nothing mentioned if there is anything going on.

there was mention of the Romulan faction, but it was never written down if there are preliminary ideas beginning on his, or even started.

i would hope to see some answers from DStahl about these issues mentioned. would love to know when the Romulans are coming.
Commander
# 50
09-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Fluff report again....

I still don't feel like playing STO now...nothing is exciting, nothing makes me want to play...hell my Fleet leader is on GW2 more often now and we missed the last starbase project b/c of that....

...we need to make STO less dull please..!
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.