Career Officer
# 61
09-21-2012, 10:22 PM
I've already gotten to the max level on both my first Fed and KDF characters so I'd already completed all the story missions, but there were still a lot of great missions in the lists so, yeah, every once in a while, I'll do some over again.

But I mainly log on to make Foundry missions, check on progress with the Fleet Starbase, collect on [and add more] Duty Officer missions and do the Fleet Starbase Daily mission.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Career Officer
# 62
09-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Story missions are how I level characters? Why, you may ask? Just because.
Ensign
# 63
09-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcrayven View Post
First of all, let me just provide this disclaimer - this is not an attempt at social commentary, a bash against Cryptic, or a sneaky attempt at a backhanded statement about the perceived quality (or lack thereof) of the content of story missions. It's simply an attempt to investigate the veracity of a perception I've begun to have regarding the current makeup of the STO playerbase.

I have had the good fortune to find myself employed at a business that permits me to play STO while I am at work, which actually allows me a far more substantial amount of time ingame than I otherwise would have. Because my job is in the evenings (primarily) I am able to interact with people across the globe in multiple timezones, particularly a great number of U.S. players.

One common theme I've noticed, almost across the board, is a huge lack of knowledge among a great portion of the current playerbase concerning the Cryptic-made storyline missions, how they tie into the game, and why they're important. I've run into more Vice Admirals than I care to even think about who have made it to endgame without ever touching a story mission, propelled there by DOFF assignments and the various PvE / PvP events. Interestingly, when I have mentioned the existence of these missions, as well as the community authored content and the dailies, I've been met with general disinterest or an inquiry as to how to get through them as fast as possible.

So I'm putting the question out there to you guys - are we now in an era of STO where the majority of the playerbase does not care about story? Is our leading demographic now primarily composed of button-mashing pew-pew'ers who'd rather blow stuff up than seek immersion in the Star Trek universe? Is it possible that Dan Stahl's concerns that continued investment in story might not be worthwhile anymore actually have a foundation in reality?

And if so, has this been PWE's plan all along?

I welcome everyone's thoughts.

Actually I got my character to Vice Admiral because I played the story missions primarily. In addition to that I've done a fair bit of the DOFF missions and a few of the "borg dailies". I have yet to engage in any of the Foundary content (that's next on my list). I haven't yet considered any PVP.
Ensign
# 64 New and Loving It
09-22-2012, 04:10 PM
For the record this is my first post on the Forum. I am not sure on the protocol if any but i started in July as a new free-to-play player and i love it. I see all over the threads on this forum some jaded and disenfranchised veterans who are 'fed up' with some elements of the game. But so far i have been able to craft my own experience and couldn't stop playing or enjoying if i wanted to. I am posting this here because one of the things that has kept me logging in nearly every night for these past two months are the story episodes. As designed they are structured not unlike seasons of Star trek and span across the entire playable realm and and offer vast and variable experiences from actually seeing the Guardian of Forever to learning the truth about the Romulus supernova.

I admit that there are only loose ties to cannon. And it is fair to say that some of the playable options in game are limited (destroy or disable, thats it?). But i am amazed that after two months, a level 48 Rear Admiral, a few PvP, PvE and STF missions at a decent albeit biased success rate, i still enjoy the episodes and truly feel like i am going where no one has gone before.

I did notice that we are at war but there is little structure or explanation. But i imagine that if this has happened a while back 'in game' then there was little opportunity to explain it. But if you can slingshot around a hidden Section 31 sun and stop the Devidians from altering the past, or help Scotty make a drink for a frazzled shipmate then there must be a way to explore a 'how it all began' story line.
Captain
# 65
09-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonicus View Post
>SNIP<
Let me be the first to welcome you to the STO community. Hopefully you will be able to hold onto your enthusiasm for STO and that you do not let other people's opinion ruin your experience with the game.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are many problems with STO that only the Devs can fix. And they should...
At the same time, there are many problems that we are perfectly capable of fixing ourselves. And we should...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community Moderator
# 66
09-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
I did notice that we are at war but there is little structure or explanation. But i imagine that if this has happened a while back 'in game' then there was little opportunity to explain it. But if you can slingshot around a hidden Section 31 sun and stop the Devidians from altering the past, or help Scotty make a drink for a frazzled shipmate then there must be a way to explore a 'how it all began' story line.
There haven't really been any removals of storyline missions or major changes in the game universe that advance the story; if you'd been here since launch you would have gotten the same explanations (or lack thereof) for ingame events.

The stuff you mention regarding the Devidians and time travel was added well after launch, as were all the Featured Episode series, but nothing's really been removed. A couple of missions have been majorly changed, but those changes have been to improve their function, not remove their story.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 67
09-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
There haven't really been any removals of storyline missions or major changes in the game universe that advance the story; if you'd been here since launch you would have gotten the same explanations (or lack thereof) for ingame events.

The stuff you mention regarding the Devidians and time travel was added well after launch, as were all the Featured Episode series, but nothing's really been removed. A couple of missions have been majorly changed, but those changes have been to improve their function, not remove their story.
Yeah.

The only backstory given is via the website or the random datachips at the Academy, aside from some sporadically laced in missions, and Spock's voiceover in Sector Space, which I guess you'd miss with the audio off.

I think they need to seriously look at a new trailer that covers what the heck is going on and, well... What Star Trek IS and WAS.

They didn't have art on all the uniforms at launch but they do now.

I think the ideal would be to open with WWIII, show as much of First Contact as likeness will allow for, show Enterprise-era and the NX01, show TOS, show WoK era, show TNG, amd show the Dominion War. With captions like "40 Years Ago," "120 Years Ago," etc.

A lot of people may have only seen one or two of the shows. Having it all laid out in context is a must, IMHO. It's a win for people who know it, like covering their favorite song. It's a need for people who don't.
Community Moderator
# 68
09-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
A lot of people may have only seen one or two of the shows. Having it all laid out in context is a must, IMHO. It's a win for people who know it, like covering their favorite song. It's a need for people who don't.
This is what the Path to 2409 was supposed to be, but with only one writer, they have to prioritize. Kestrel's not sitting around at work surfing the web waiting for opportunities to write something; they've got her working.

Hopefully they'll get her some help in this new hiring surge, and let her concentrate on writing the "bible" and let the new folks take over some of the content writing. We've all been in that same position more than once in our careers; where you don't have time to stop and write documentation so that other people can take over part of your duties and give you time to write documentation.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 69
09-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
This is what the Path to 2409 was supposed to be, but with only one writer, they have to prioritize. Kestrel's not sitting around at work surfing the web waiting for opportunities to write something; they've got her working.

Hopefully they'll get her some help in this new hiring surge, and let her concentrate on writing the "bible" and let the new folks take over some of the content writing. We've all been in that same position more than once in our careers; where you don't have time to stop and write documentation so that other people can take over part of your duties and give you time to write documentation.
Well, one of my issues isn't the volume or quality of writing. It's that the writing is ghettoized, off in the corner.
Career Officer
# 70
09-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Quote:
I did notice that we are at war but there is little structure or explanation.
The basic gist of it is: The Klingons start invading worlds because they are aware of high level Undine shapeshifter infiltration at high levels of government in their neighbors. Of course they start invading their neighbors to purge the Undine threat. The Federation doesn't buy it and censures them, or something to that effect. The Klingons, true to their nature, say F you and your treaty, we don't want/need your approval, and war soon follows. The Feds seem aware of the Undine, but are either not as commited as the Klingons, or at least not willing to invade to get the Undine out.

At least I think that's what is going on, I'm almost sure that's it, I think.