Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Closed Thread

Lieutenant
# 21
09-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
I believe it as actualy always meant to be exactly a waste bin. Every forum needs an pit for all the other irrelevant, useledd, or off topic things to go. And part of making friends is keeping them. So in that regard continuing a thread after you have made friends is a perfectly good way to keep a friend. Some of those people may not be in the same time zone or on at the same time of day, some may even wish to not disclose their actual identity to their gaming friends so 10f is a perfect place to grafiti a wall and say "wasup?".
Oh, but I totally agree with you on that it is very useful to stay in touch with friends! So I see why this particulay thread is very good. But there are much much better media out there for that. Things like facebook, twitter and many others. They allow more flexibility, more privacy, more adjustments, better integration in your desktop, etc. So why not move it over to a better medium? Many fleets actually do this.

I do not agree with you on that 10f is a wastebin, and I do not think it was meant to be either. They did formulate rules on the topics after all. This seems to imply it has a certain purpose.
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
09-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by briitta View Post
Oh, but I totally agree with you on that it is very useful to stay in touch with friends! So I see why this particulay thread is very good. But there are much much better media out there for that. Things like facebook, twitter and many others. They allow more flexibility, more privacy, more adjustments, better integration in your desktop, etc. So why not move it over to a better medium? Many fleets actually do this.

I do not agree with you on that 10f is a wastebin, and I do not think it was meant to be either. They did formulate rules on the topics after all. This seems to imply it has a certain purpose.
Yes there are rules on topics. Most of which don't apply to 10f that is it's point. Where else on this site can I share a video of someone gluing an Iphone to the ground in a busy place and recording the results?
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Rihannsu
# 23
09-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Quote:
But that is a matter of taste.
Yes it is. You have your personal taste. I have mine. Everybody has their own.

Can you not let everybody have their personal taste, no matter how odd or strange it might seem to you? Infinite diversity and all that even if it sounds a bit bonkers.

Someone else could turn up and say judge dread has nothing to do with star trek at all and it should go, yet you dont mind it. I dont mind it. It falls within our range of acceptance. Our range might not be his range.

These threads, of which there are not that many, are a bunch of people chatting in their own way that they personally find acceptable. I accept that we cant talk about every topic and there are some grey areas that fall under a mods discretion. Talk of religion is specifically banned for I think fairly obvious reasons so we dont have carte blanche, but i would find ten forward to become a much duller place if your viewpoint was considered the way it should be.

You mention about attracting new fans. I was attracted to the wacky sense of humour, even more so that the talk of Trek. It just appealed to me. I made friends with these people. It did not stop me talking about start trek or finding hundreds of other more on topic threads. There is room for everyone here and threads that I dont like can be ignored, especially as they have such non-threatening or non controversial titles that they dont exactly invoke an argument like on the more serious boards.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 24
09-23-2012, 04:04 AM
I had no idea that thread existed until someone complained about it. I will read it now.
Lieutenant
# 25
09-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Yes it is. You have your personal taste. I have mine. Everybody has their own.

Can you not let everybody have their personal taste, no matter how odd or strange it might seem to you? Infinite diversity and all that even if it sounds a bit bonkers.

Someone else could turn up and say judge dread has nothing to do with star trek at all and it should go, yet you dont mind it. I dont mind it. It falls within our range of acceptance. Our range might not be his range.

These threads, of which there are not that many, are a bunch of people chatting in their own way that they personally find acceptable. I accept that we cant talk about every topic and there are some grey areas that fall under a mods discretion. Talk of religion is specifically banned for I think fairly obvious reasons so we dont have carte blanche, but i would find ten forward to become a much duller place if your viewpoint was considered the way it should be.

You mention about attracting new fans. I was attracted to the wacky sense of humour, even more so that the talk of Trek. It just appealed to me. I made friends with these people. It did not stop me talking about start trek or finding hundreds of other more on topic threads. There is room for everyone here and threads that I dont like can be ignored, especially as they have such non-threatening or non controversial titles that they dont exactly invoke an argument like on the more serious boards.
But you misunderstand my argument, I think.

I actually find some of the content of the thread in question funny, or witty. So I am not saying it is not to my taste.

The argument is that there is limited space on a forums first page, and this particular thread, that might have started off nicely, has outrun its relevancy. It is not attracting new people, it has no content that is slightly relevant for anyone but they themselves.

It still is very worthwhile for them to discuss what the best burger joint in their US town is, and that there is a bit of rain today, etc. And they should keep doing that! It's funy, nice and it bonds them. Great!!!

Just.....not here. Use Twitter, Facebook or many of the other applications that are set up for this much better than this forum.

As for the topics, as long as they are not stricktly for intimates and even slightly interesting to the sci-fi fans this forum attracts, I am completely fine with that. The only things I do not like to see here are basically twitter-like threads with nonesense stricktly meant for the limited band of friends joining in. It does not belong here (my opinion, eh?)
Lieutenant
# 26
09-23-2012, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoniavrel View Post
I had no idea that thread existed until someone complained about it. I will read it now.
Cool. I'm curious what you make of it.
Lieutenant
# 27
09-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Yes there are rules on topics. Most of which don't apply to 10f that is it's point. Where else on this site can I share a video of someone gluing an Iphone to the ground in a busy place and recording the results?
Maybe nowhere on this site. It's funny, I grant you that. But this is a STO forum, it is connected to the game.

Why not post that on Youtube, Facebook, link it to Twitter, or.....there are so many places where you can share funny stuff with friends!
Rihannsu
# 28
09-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Quote:

Just.....not here. Use Twitter, Facebook or many of the other applications that are set up for this much better than this forum.
Many of us do use them, although one of the problems with those social websites is that you almost force people to read your stuff, whether your friends and followers are from 10F or not so it does not stay contained to the people who only want to read it, where a specific thread does as you actively have to click on it.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lieutenant
# 29
09-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Many of us do use them, although one of the problems with those social websites is that you almost force people to read your stuff, whether your friends and followers are from 10F or not so it does not stay contained to the people who only want to read it, where a specific thread does as you actively have to click on it.
Fair enough. But if you like the forum as a place to post things, then there are an enormous amounts of them around to do so on.

Imagine I have a new pussycat. Do I then post that picture here on ten forward with the title: look at my sweet pussycat?

I would post it on the pussycat forum, or something like that.

But if I then photoshop my pussycat, give it a Startrek uniform, and then post it with the title: look at my Kirk pussycat?

That would at least be more relevant to the STO community (but still a slippery slope).
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Where else on this site can I share a video of someone gluing an Iphone to the ground in a busy place and recording the results?
That was an Apple commercial you are enthousiastically spreading around this forum. Do you work for them or didn't you realize what it was?

@ Briitta....I don't think you can ever get rid of the Awesomeness of Captain Zero, I sympathize with your plea, but some things are just what they are, we have to accept them in balance...time will take care of the rest.

Last edited by hydaspes; 09-23-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Closed Thread