Captain
# 11
09-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Speaking of Science abilities that may help, Photonic Shock Wave will detonate any incoming targetable projectiles (Heavy Plasma or Tricobalt Torpedoes, or any kind of Mines). Its useful radius is about 3-4 km. If you have this ability slotted, then wait until the closest torpedo gets to within 2 km of you and then hit it.
Captain
# 12
09-23-2012, 03:53 PM
What I do is about like the others say. Depends on if I'm on the Fed or KDF. Fire at will and torpedo spread is a good choice to use. I use them both to take out those heavy torpedoes that do massive damage.

Fed, I try to keep moving away from the front. Since that area is most devastating. Usually my run on both Fed and KDF is go at them at full throttle. I fire everything I have. Usually hit the Energy modulation to up the energy weapons power. Then pop the jam sensors which takes out his weapons. As I get right on the ship where I can spit on them. I hit a tractor and fill him full of warp plasma. By then he is really in a mess. So I fly around and keep pounding him. This usually works well for me for 80% of the time. However at times he will hit the repel move that sends me backwards and then your in a bad spot. Or hits the tractor beam and that isn't good either.

Now on my KDF I do the same. However my Battlecruiser has forward cannons which is my area to do most damage. Where my Fed is good as broad side hits. On my KDF I do the same as my Fed. After I pass by him with him stuck in the plasma cloud. I hit full reverse and swing around to get my front towards him. Then I open up with all my beams, cannons, and torpedoes. He usually don't look good by the time he comes out of that cloud. Specially with my front beam array, dual cannons and heavies gets done with him. Plus the torpedoes. I have destroyed large ships with this move with ease more than once.
Career Officer
# 13
09-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Just my 2 cents but
Are u running emergency power to shields once u get tractored it gives u a dmg resist to ur shield and u can run more than 1 copy to cycle it. Also tractor beam cause kinetic damage so. A monotanium alloy eng console will help there. And if all else fails return the favor to the warbird with tractor beam repulors to fling him away also works against the cloaking mines and heavy plasma torps destroying them. Happy hunting
Captain
# 14
09-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapla1755 View Post
Just my 2 cents but
Are u running emergency power to shields once u get tractored it gives u a dmg resist to ur shield and u can run more than 1 copy to cycle it. Also tractor beam cause kinetic damage so. A monotanium alloy eng console will help there. And if all else fails return the favor to the warbird with tractor beam repulors to fling him away also works against the cloaking mines and heavy plasma torps destroying them. Happy hunting
tractor beam repulsor is an excellent idea, even destroys incoming torpedos/mines
it is also an aability you can use in Stfs later to keet probes/naninte spheres away and in starbase blockade to get space between the freigthers and the attacking ships.
Go pro or go home
Ensign
# 15
09-26-2012, 10:59 AM
For now the easiest to implement and use solution i to keep him at least 5 km away and just put my broadsiders in him. So far this tactic seems to work reasonably well for me. I will try other solutions when I got the money to experiment with diferent consoles and Bofs. But for now, I can finally beat them

Thanks
Lieutenant
# 16
11-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwendoline1 View Post
Some good suggestions, I tried some like using fire at will (failing) and all sorts of defensive acitons (Problem is I get confused with all those icons and often press the wrong one instead)

But trying to get out of his 5km zone sounds like a splendid idea. WIthout his tractor beam, I might have a chance to not be vaporized in scant seconds.

Must look for polarize hull and jam sensors consoles.

Does using evasion help againt tractors? And inertial compensators?

It can get confusing, but the nice thing I found was that figuring out how to beat these really improved my game play by the time it was all over. I like all the suggestions here. Distancing is vital, like they were saying. One thing I like to do is come at her, hit "rapid fire", "energy drain", "gravity well" and "target shield subsystems". When I'm about 6km away I turn tail, shifting to aft weapons arrays as I go so I can keep hitting her on the way out. I keep an eye out for heavy torps and either shoot them, hit "evasive maneuvers", or brace for impact".

When I get about 12km out (2km out of firing range) I check and make sure my systems are off cooldown, then hit "attack pattern alpha" and come about. This gives me a nice tight, quick turn, plus temporarily increases my damage points when I resume firing. Being 12km out means that I have enough time to come about (and thus get my forward weapons in the right firing arc) by the time I'm in range again. Then I just repeat the process. It takes some time but it's what works for me. The only thing you will sometimes have to wath for is that when you get her down to about 1/4 integrity she will try to warp out and repair. Then she'll come back and you have to start all over again. So when you ger low, try to not to get too far out of range so that you can keep your fire up. She can't warp if still engaged.

All of this is using a long-range science vessel. But I think you could modify the general strategy to work with whatever weapons and consoles you have.
Captain
# 17
11-08-2012, 10:14 AM
The Romulan Battleship uses the Gorn Anchor tactic of holding you in a tractor beam and pounding away at you with Plasma Torpedos. Nasty, but even worse if you attack from front they sometimes use Viral Matrix.

In short stay at sides or rear at 6km away and you'll be able to grind them down. Hope this helps.
Captain
# 18
11-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Bear in mind that if you mouse over any icon you can get a text description. Now right click it holding down the right mouse button and you can drag it around, press p to get a full skills list. This makes the whole thing about 5 times easier to use as you can concentrate your main skills in one area, and if like me you arrange them into groups of skills, (Emergancy power to X skills here, tac team there, BFI and Evasive there, sheild heals in that spot, and hull heals all the way over there), you can make finding the right skill a LOT easier.