Empire Veteran
# 11
09-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Starkaos, How is what you said any different to what I suggested?
Captain
# 12
09-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoid View Post
Starkaos, How is what you said any different to what I suggested?
1. Your idea is where the Collective still exists. Mine is where it doesn't.
2. Didn't see your post when I posted mine.

With my idea, you can have numerous Borg factions in the game where we still have the same Borg enemy that has existed since launch, Borg with a neutral stance that wants to make reparations for the harm they have caused no matter which race, and the playable Borg faction which wants to find their place in the galaxy. This would make the Borg a more complex race instead of the simple menace that has existed in the game.
Ensign
# 13
09-23-2012, 04:16 AM
We don't need any Borg ships, nor do we need a Borg faction. The only factions that I believe we'd ever need to see fully fledged in this game are the Federation (obviously) along with the Klingon Defence Force and Romulan Star Empire. Reason being? Those are the three initial factions that Roddenberry started with. The three major powers.

I suppose you could throw in the Cardassian Union (or whatever it is now called) as a fourth faction, but it isn't needed, and in its current state, with the exception of the True Way (which, if you're running the campaign) no longer exists in it's powerful state, the Cardassian Empire isn't much for military any more.

There is no logic for anyone to play as a Drone. It would be defeating the object and purpose of the way the game plays. The only reason someone might want to fly around in a Cube is because they feel that a Cube would be indestructible and they're bad losers or haven't got a clue how to actually build a ship and bridge crew to a standard that doesn't keep getting them killed.

I vote a solid no as far as the Borg Collective goes. I don't ever want to see them as a faction, nor do I wish to see their ships as playable. Then again, I didn't want to see Starfleet and Klingon crews flying around in Tholian, Ferengi or Cardassian vessels, but Cryptic did a fine (sarcasm here) job on that.
Lieutenant
# 14
09-23-2012, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoid View Post
Well since Into the Hive is being worked on/finished, one possible outcome from the death of the Queen could be a restructuring of the Collective.
Actually there's more than one. I believe she was cloned. Proof? Well she died in first contact, she also died at the end of voyager so I wouldn't count her out in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer525 View Post
We don't need any Borg ships, nor do we need a Borg faction. The only factions that I believe we'd ever need to see fully fledged in this game are the Federation (obviously) along with the Klingon Defence Force and Romulan Star Empire.
Not everyone wants to be nothing but the Kling/Fed. From day 1 I, many others wanted to play as the Borg. I respect the original factions from the original series but the Borg are one of the highest wanted factions that have been requested from the start.

Anyway a lot can be done with the Borg like creating like the bases from star trek armada that could later be upgraded, it could lead to stopping attacks from the federation/klingons.

Last edited by neoforce42; 09-23-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 15
09-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
I would have said that a Borg faction was impossible in this game, but dstahl has recently made remarks he would like to see the Borg faction. I am beginning to think the Into the Hive STF might give the storyline incentive to introduce a Borg faction. Players kill the Borg Queen or capture her and that causes severe disruptions to the Collective. Borg no longer have a Queen to control the will of the Collective and split into various factions. Some factions operate under the regular Borg modus operandi while others are a bit more enlightened and have some level of individuality. As the Borg are right now, it makes no sense for a playable Borg faction.
We all know Stahl is full of wind and is closer to a bureaucrat than a Game Developer. He has made promises in this game and then days or months later goes back on them. Claims there are more important things for the game, things are more important than what their actual customers are requesting.

I can't see a Borg faction doable in this game. To be honest I think once (if ever) they get the KDF faction close to what the Federation is at the time and give the Romulans the same treatment that is really all we would need. I'd personally love to see a True Way faction honestly, however realistic speaking 3 factions would be more than enough variety for players. Give us more species options and maybe specialized species missions over new factions. That way they have focus on just 3 faction uniforms, ships etc, with just it's missions being unique within the faction for each species which gives players the incentive to roll different species within the same faction, even it purely just to play these unique missions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Lieutenant
# 16
09-23-2012, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
We all know Stahl is full of wind and is closer to a bureaucrat than a Game Developer. He has made promises in this game and then days or months later goes back on them. Claims there are more important things for the game, things are more important than what their actual customers are requesting.
I sort of suspected it might be unlikely but the Borg are my favourite thing in modern trek.
I love the federation as much as the next guy but we're long overdue for a new faction.
Maybe he might pull something special eventually but as a game designer myself it just depends on if he has the time.

Quote:

I can't see a Borg faction doable in this game. To be honest I think once (if ever) they get the KDF faction close to what the Federation is at the time and give the Romulans the same treatment that is really all we would need. missions.
I'm not really sure if that's possible anymore since the destuction of their homeworld kind of ruined the structure of the Romulan empire unless they decide to somehow rebuild the planet then I'm not really sure what can be done about that faction.

Quote:
That way they have focus on just 3 faction uniforms, ships etc, with just it's missions being unique within the faction for each species which gives players the incentive to roll different species within the same faction, even it purely just to play these unique missions.
The problem with these factions and adding races is that soon as that happens it kind of makes it harder to make races like the cardassians or the Romulans there own factions because soon as they start joining the federation/klinks then it just ends up everyone coming from one planet. Personally I think if there going to do this then they should add multply planets as a homeworld but with the same missions. It might even spread open space a bit to feel less cluttered.
Empire Veteran
# 17
09-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoforce42 View Post
I'm not really sure if that's possible anymore since the destuction of their homeworld kind of ruined the structure of the Romulan empire unless they decide to somehow rebuild the planet then I'm not really sure what can be done about that faction.
With all due respect, your Logic is flawed. They already have a new homeworld, Raptor III. If anything the destruction of their homeworld and the fracture of their Empire makes them perfect for the MMO environment. Allows for plausible reasoning to have different species. I know a lot of blind idealistic Romulan fans won't agree, but that's the problem with fans, too stuck in canon to accept new ideas.

Quote:
The problem with these factions and adding races is that soon as that happens it kind of makes it harder to make races like the cardassians or the Romulans there own factions because soon as they start joining the federation/klinks then it just ends up everyone coming from one planet. Personally I think if there going to do this then they should add multply planets as a homeworld but with the same missions. It might even spread open space a bit to feel less cluttered.
I never said in my post they should add Romulans or Cardassians to existing factions. Thought they could work if you know the Path to 2409, at least on part of the Romulan Colony Talvath (Vol 11, Chapter 3) asking for Federation protection, which could eventually lead them to joining the Federation. But I am not here to argue that point, already been brought up in another thread.

The whole problem isn't so much what faction they should do next, or even if they should do (add species here) faction. Is that they can't seem to handle the existing factions. The Federation gets all the goodies (content written for them, costumes, ships etc and so on), the cross faction content is written for the Federation and then a bad cut and paste job is done for the KDF. If they can't prove to us they can do the two existing factions equally without bias or favouritism then speculating about them doing a 3rd or even 4th faction is just that speculation. Cryptic doesn't seem able or willing to look at the long term. Take a chance that will ultimately pay off. They sit in their comfort zone, peeving off loyal fans (KDF and Romulan, plus all the other non Federation fans) due to their favouritism of the Federation and refusing to even bring out a little bit of KDF content (like a 2:1) Federation to Klingon ratio and see how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Lieutenant
# 18
09-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
With all due respect, your Logic is flawed. They already have a new homeworld, Raptor III. If anything the destruction of their homeworld and the fracture of their Empire makes them perfect for the MMO environment. Allows for plausible reasoning to have different species. I know a lot of blind idealistic Romulan fans won't agree, but that's the problem with fans, too stuck in canon to accept new ideas.
Well the thing is the Romulan empire a mess, it's already been explained that there's no real agreement on who should be in charge and I have seen nowhere that says 'Raptor 3' was the new homeworld, it's my 'Logic' isn't flawed since the homeworld was destroyed, the current empire have people post 'nemesis' that wanted to ally with the federation, the one's that don't agree with the federation. Some episodes even try to go into detail about this.

Quote:
If they can't prove to us they can do the two existing factions equally without bias or favouritism then speculating about them doing a 3rd or even 4th faction is just that speculation. Cryptic doesn't seem able or willing to look at the long term.
Your probably right but they really need to start developing content instead of trying to add refit ships. It's like the fleet ships where they look like barely the same as the normal ships but if they focused less on stuff like that then they could focus more on improved factions. I honestly don't know what there really doing to improve sto at moment since I'd have prefered more content that saying random crew on duty officer missions.

Anyway think this is going a bit off topic so I'll start by saying the Borg faction are long overdue.
Career Officer
# 19
09-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Well the thing is the Romulan empire a mess, it's already been explained that there's no real agreement on who should be in charge and I have seen nowhere that says 'Raptor 3' was the new homeworld, it's my 'Logic' isn't flawed since the homeworld was destroyed, the current empire have people post 'nemesis' that wanted to ally with the federation, the one's that don't agree with the federation. Some episodes even try to go into detail about this.
Say what? http://www.stowiki.org/Rator_III Rator III is the new Romulan homeworld. It's even one of the Lore questions that are given to you on a daily basis.

The RSE is splintered, yeah, but then there are Klingons in the Federation. There is still going to be a Romulan Star Empire, it'll just be different to the way it was before. If Cryptic wanted to be really smart about it (they wont because they're Cryptic) but they'd have a split story arc in which you can choose to be a good or bad Romulan, making different choices in missions which result in a different endgame (of sorts).

Quote:
Anyway think this is going a bit off topic so I'll start by saying the Borg faction are long overdue.
I'd rather a discussion on a faction that is going to be practical (like the Romulans) instead of one that isn't (like the Borg).
Lieutenant
# 20
09-24-2012, 11:26 AM
The Borg should be left as bad guys and maybe even buffed into truely terrifying levels of difficulty. Right now they're merely annoying which is a shame.

Unless there are huge changes made to how the Borg operate I don't see how they could be made into a playable faction. And if they did make those changes well then they'd destroy what makes the Borg so terrifying in the first place.