Ensign
# 11
09-24-2012, 10:24 AM
I think this problem is wide spread.

Ever since the last update / patch, mine too has started rebooting the computer. Never did before, I'll be ingame one minute and the next a blank screen, a quick beep and its doing the ram test and bio checks before it boots back into windows 7.

I'm glad that it isn't just me, but similarly share the frustration, especially when i was a couple of phaser shots away from completing the daily borg invasion!

Do you know if the devs are going to update again anytime soon? Or if theres a way to reverse updates?

Ad'
Ensign
Installed the game yesterday and doing the same, restarting after 5 to 10 min max. And i play a lot of heaviere games with i res no probleme there...
Career Officer
# 13
09-25-2012, 07:10 AM
It just sounds like to me, that your CPU's are overheating/not transferring heat properly. The fact that it was a resent patch only happens to be a coincidence.

Perhaps more information can be provided to the community/Dev's instead of making a general observation.

Not all graphics are created equal.
Lieutenant
# 14
09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrathama View Post
It just sounds like to me, that your CPU's are overheating/not transferring heat properly. The fact that it was a resent patch only happens to be a coincidence.

Perhaps more information can be provided to the community/Dev's instead of making a general observation.

Not all graphics are created equal.
If you take the time to read carefully what the man wrote, he said twice that he has monitored temperatures, and it's not a temp issue.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
09-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I used to have this issue too, and not just with STO, with everything.. I finally tracked it down to a failing power supply. I watched the temperature all the time. Motherboard never overheated, graphics card didn't overheat, the only signs I had was random restarts, or hardware failure. After replacing the power supply, everything works perfectly again.
Ensign
# 16 It shuts mine off too...
09-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I installed the game today and I'm having the same issue. It shut down twice, didn't restart. The problem isn't with the the cpu, nor with it over heating, nor the power supply. (All those things are fine and I'm sitting in a well conditioned environment.) I can run DC universe online just fine and have never had this issue. I didn't even have browsers open, just the game itself. My computer is more than able to handle it. If this is an issue with a lot of users, why hasn't this been properly brought to someone's attention? It kind of puts new users off if a problem like this persists.
Lieutenant
# 17
10-14-2012, 05:33 PM
I have also been having this problem, since Season 6 went live. It was only occasionally at first, at which point I began to monitor temperatures and check my power supply, the first two obvious causes of sudden computer shutdown. It was neither of these things, so I chalked it up to faulty software. Sometimes that happens with computer gaming. However, since the last patch, it's been happening much more frequently. Again, not a heat or a power supply issue.

So I think the devs should look into this. I've spent a lot of time on this game, and I'd prefer not to have to stop playing for fear of damage to my computer in any way.
Lieutenant
# 18
10-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Well honestly probably isnt there power supplies causing the issue or it would be on any graphic intense game not just STO. STO being the only game crashing leads me to believe it is a hardware issue with STO itself having a conflict with something in the system setup. Earlier all the people posted it only happens with STO, if the PS was failing it would be far more widespread than just STO. Try updating all your drivers. After the latest patch mine was doing the same thing. I updated my video drivers and havent had a issue again.
Lieutenant
# 19
11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I've started having this problem lately. The first few weeks I played I would play for a couple hours with no problems. Then I had one BSoD (which scared me thoroughly, until I read other threads with people having the same problem and so I realize now it is not necessarily equivalent to the apocolypse). But then after the maintaince Nov 2(?), 2012 it happens frequently. I thought it might be a heating issue, but it just happened only a few minutes into play. And I hadn't done anything except look through my duty roster. Machine was still cold.
Career Officer
# 20
11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Monitoring temperatures while the game is running or from within the BIOS? Within the BIOS is misleading unless you are performing hardware diagnostics and taxing the hardware resources.

Go into the troubleshooting section of the game and turn down your settings to see if you can reproduce the error. Turn everything down to the lowest settings.

If it still occurs and if, as you stated, it is not a temperature issue, then you have a software issue and I would recommend reinstalling the OS and replacing all your drivers with the up-to-date versions. You may wish to try driver updates first to see if that resolves the problem. Try turning the dump file on so you can collect the possible bluescreen error which may indicate a driver issue. Beyond that reinstall a clean OS with updated drivers

If it doesn't occur then it may be that your video card drivers do not know how to process the game commands. May take a driver update only and possibly, you may be using a card that cryptic doesn't support. You might also try using directx 9 instead of directx11 (BETA) in the game's controls if your video driver doesn't fully support directx 11

After all that and you have eliminated software as the culprit...

Go buy yourself a $5 can of compressed air (or use an air compressor that you blow up your car tires with) and remove all the dust and crap from inside your computer.. get the power supply, get the fans on your GPU and CPU and basically get all the layers of "insulation" (i.e. dust) off your components that is keeping them warmer than they should.

Make sure your computer has at least 1 inch of space behind it. It is also recommended that you keep your computer on the ground rather than a desk as hot air rises and it is warmer in the room on top of the desk. If your computer is stored in a cabinet portion of your desk with a closed door, open the door.

Make sure all of your fans are working. Check your computer BIOS and make sure that the RPMs are where they should be. If your fans are not spinning very fast or are making a weird sound like they need to be lubricated, replace them. Don't try to lubricate them yourself as it is just better to replace them.
Member since January 2010. I AM NOT A PWE FAN!!!!

Last edited by tfomega; 11-06-2012 at 03:01 PM.