Starfleet Veteran
# 1 The double standards of science
09-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey there.

I'm a big fan of science in Star Trek. Science and, to a lesser extent, engineering, were the tools that the Federation used to peacefully solve tasks. If things got out of hand, yes, tactical got involved, but science and engineering were always there, giving the Feds an edge. Mind over muscle, if you will.

Because of that, my first toon was a science officer. I enjoyed playing him, but I found that science ships and abilities didn't really shine. Tactical ships pounded their foes to a pulp with great effect. Engineering ships weakened and outlasted their foes to almost annoying lengths. Science ships... annoyed their foes. I feel that I'm not the only one who feels this way as I've read many posts about how people feel that science has been nerfed to nerfdom.

Why, then, is PWE starting to push science based ships? The Tholian Orb Weaver, the Tholian Recluse Carrier and now the new temporal science ships alongside the mirror science ships. (Some may argue that the Recluse isn't really science as it has a universal Cmdr boff slot, but it has subsystem targeting and two of its assigned boff slots are science compared to the single tac and engineering boff slots. Smells like science to me.)

I am dearly looking forward to the Wells class. I have been for a long time, and I know I'm not the only one. PWE, can you please start to strengthen the overly weak science abilities so the Wells class can be as fearsome as ships like the Jem'Hadar attack ship? Make science something to be respected instead of merely tolerated. Make the Wells class really worth having.
Captain
# 2
09-24-2012, 06:50 PM
I assume all the science vessels are coming out now because there are less science ships in the game. I believe the klingon faction only has one science ship so the korath and the new mirror universe ship are probably very welcome to them.

Science ships will not make the science captain play experience better. The only way to fix that is for Cryptic to change how the science Boff abilities work. Until that happens one six-weapon ship is basically not too different from another.
Captain
# 3
09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
The answer is no.

Fixing abilities that are free does not bring in cash. On the other hand, tactical-captain goodies like guns, torpedoes, etc...which can be peddled in these moronic lockboxes do.

Cryptic ceased to make this game to follow 'trek' when PWE bought them off. Don't bother hoping science will ever be returned to its pre-F2P status.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
# 4
09-24-2012, 08:06 PM
while many may understand your plight (and yes i prefer to play Sci toons as well), what cmdrskyfaller is spot on for the most part.

pigs will fly before the Sci class ever gets to the point it once was.

trust me, ive been eager for new ships to explore sci toons with in hopes of finding a really nice combo, but alas, it has not happened.

i will admit, even thought it is not perfect, but i broke down and purchased the caitain carrier. ive had fun with it, and even had some learning curves, but it brings back the fun (to a degree) of relying on sci skills and some creative tools to win, verses pure dmg output.

we shall see what these new ones bring, but dont expect much.
was sir_james_of_cadiz on cryptics forums...did not get to keep the name

Starfleet Veteran
# 5
09-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Common sense tells me that you guys are right which is so very disappointing. Science, not tactical, should be the shaker and baker in this game. Science is what enabled the Enterprise escape the Borg, the Delta Flyer to hit warp 10 and Data to exist.
Empire Veteran
# 6
09-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Other than carriers, the Fleet Recon Science ship is the only current science ship that I find that doesn't embarrass me in elite SFTs or fleet actions.

I will throw some money at lock boxes again, but only if I decide obtainable items look good. I don't consider the time ships obtainable. I can throw hundreds of dollars at them, but I don't win at gambling... period. So I don't consider any new ships are being added into the game except for mirror universe or C (Z) Store ships when they are added.

Join Date: December 2009 - Alliance Central Command - boq botlhra'ghom
Empire Veteran
# 7
09-25-2012, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
The answer is no.

Fixing abilities that are free does not bring in cash. On the other hand, tactical-captain goodies like guns, torpedoes, etc...which can be peddled in these moronic lockboxes do.

Cryptic ceased to make this game to follow 'trek' when PWE bought them off. Don't bother hoping science will ever be returned to its pre-F2P status.
Spot on and this is why this game is lucky to have 2 years left in it. We are not the same as an Eastern market, the Western Market is vastly different and is something PWE doesn't understand. F2P was done in so many wrong ways that it's not that much of value to take out subscriptions hence why I think the Lock boxes are the only thing holding this game a float.

I do agree that science needs a decent buff. They are sorely lacking and my science main is rather useless unless she runs with a Engineer or Tactical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 8
09-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Spot on and this is why this game is lucky to have 2 years left in it.
Oh boy, another "STO is dying!" comment. Seriously, you need to actually know how well the game is doing financially before you can say that.
Captain
# 9
09-25-2012, 05:24 AM
There are several problems facing sci skills.

The huge variance is potential effects.
How do you balance out a skill when it can be used at 50 aux power and 0 skill, and when it can be used at 250 skill at 125 aux power? Good luck.

Tac Captain Abilities
Then add to that the skill needs to be balanced dealing its normal damage and dealing 2.5 times its normal damage with these abilities active. Good luck.

Nah, much easier to nerf them into the ground and not worry about it...
Captain
# 10
09-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Nah, much easier to nerf them into the ground and not worry about it...
Simple, clean, and completely and totally lazy. And guess what? No surprise whatsoever.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Closed Thread