Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Empire Veteran
# 11
09-25-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm relieved that these ships aren't the 1000 day vet rewards. I won't have to sub for more than 3 years to get that stuff!

It's a bit weird to put 4 ships at the same time in the lockbox system. Now I'm a bit worried about the game's financial health. Is it that bad?

You know, these lockbox ships aren't that expensive if you play smart. I'm going to give you a way to get them without spending tons of money on it, and this advice is given by someone owning more than 600-700M ECs (currency and investments) and who didn't sell any c-store item. Buy 20-30 keys from the store today, there's a sale. The day the lockboxes will be released these keys should be worth 2M or so. Post them a few hours after the update (US prime time if possible, because you guys are far less reasonable than us europeans about gambling), you should be able to sell them at this price, but don't wait if you see that the price doesn't go above 1.8 or 1.9M, it's a single shot opportunity. Wait a few weeks. Since the lockbox ship is a science one, and since the previous ship was a science one too, the prices should be between 40-60M, depending on the stats. You should have the money to buy it, for the price of a regular c-store ship. The box is cross-faction, so you won't have a ridiculous KDF price.

Now if you do this please don't tell your friends, fleet, etc. I'm ok to share some exchange tricks with a handfull of forum-addicts but if you share it people will start doing this massively and you'll never be able to buy it for the price I mentionned. One of the rules of acquisition should be: never share your knowledge because it's the source of the biggest profits.

Last edited by diogene0; 09-25-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 12
09-25-2012, 05:45 AM
I would not be upset to see the KDF Timeships in the Cstore. I'm more apt to open my wallet for a direct purchase than I am to attempt to gamble my way into acquiring one.

I dropped $60 for the BortasQu set without a second thought, so doing the same for all the KDF timeships would not be a stretch.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Captain
# 13
09-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
I'm relieved that these ships aren't the 1000 day vet rewards. I won't have to sub for more than 3 years to get that stuff!

It's a bit weird to put 4 ships at the same time in the lockbox system. Now I'm a bit worried about the game's financial health. Is it that bad?

You know, these lockbox ships aren't that expensive if you play smart. I'm going to give you a way to get them without spending tons of money on it, and this advice is given by someone owning more than 600-700M ECs (currency and investments) and who didn't sell any c-store item. Buy 20-30 keys from the store today, there's a sale. The day the lockboxes will be released these keys should be worth 2M or so. Post them a few hours after the update (US prime time if possible, because you guys are far less reasonable than us europeans about gambling), you should be able to sell them at this price, but don't wait if you see that the price doesn't go above 1.8 or 1.9M, it's a single shot opportunity. Wait a few weeks. Since the lockbox ship is a science one, and since the previous ship was a science one too, the prices should be between 40-60M, depending on the stats. You should have the money to buy it, for the price of a regular c-store ship. The box is cross-faction, so you won't have a ridiculous KDF price.

Now if you do this please don't tell your friends, fleet, etc. I'm ok to share some exchange tricks with a handfull of forum-addicts but if you share it people will start doing this massively and you'll never be able to buy it for the price I mentionned. One of the rules of acquisition should be: never share your knowledge because it's the source of the biggest profits.
Thanks for these investment strategies, diogene0.=) I will consider this approach.

Like Roach, I would still prefer the C-Store approach however.

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
Dear Devs and Community,

I am pleased that the devs have decided to offer a truly Klingon science ship to us. The name, Korath, is charmingly canonical, even though Korath was an honorless Tod'Sah! I only hope that the ship's stats will live up to its very cool design and will truly give us a competitive science ship.

The only thing on my wishlist is that the ship could be offered both in the lockbox and in the C-store. I enjoy playing the lock boxes and anticipate that this particular box will be wildly successful, esp. given the other cool items being offered (great work devs!). But when it comes to ships, and especially one that I think the KDF really needs (a KDF science), I would also appreciate the option to just pay outright for it. Plus, from my perspective as a player, buying a KDF item directly seems to cast a stronger vote of support for the KDF than simply buy lockbox keys, which are faction neutral.

On a more personal note, Warrior's Way is also planning on doing some kind of ship review (exact format undetermined [radio interview on Priority 1, blog review, etc.?]). And I would very much like to fly the ship before I review it. If it were offered in C-Store, I could test it guaranteed; in lockbox, nothing is certain.

My Proposal: Offer the ship in both venues--C-Store and Lockbox for those of us who would rather not play the lottery.

What do my fellow KDF players think? Good idea? Bad idea?

I agree lockboxes are rip off.

And we arent feds that got the luxury of buying many ships from Z store.

We miss many many ships and this ship should be availiable in Z store along with lockboxes.
Career Officer
# 15
09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
I recently while gathering Lobi managed to get a Tholian Orb Weaver, after over 250+ lockboxes (including Cardassian and Ferengi ones mind you), just goes to show how against you the odds really are.
Sounds about right. After the lockbox update, I emptied out my Account bank (with an extra 10 slots) of full stacks of various lockboxes to Lobi farm and equip my freighter (purchased with EC) with a Ferengi set... and got 3 or 4 Mirror Battlecruisers, but no rare ships.

I have to add - I only got four boxes with large Lobi contents (I think they were each 30?), the rest were either 4 or 5, about 4.5 on average not including the 4 outliers.

So when looking at the Mirror Timeship on the Lobi store, divide any item in there by 4.5 to get an idea of just how many boxes you will have to open to get it... unless you are very lucky.

Here's hoping it isn't an 800 Lobi ship.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 4-4-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
Career Officer
# 16
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
I would not be upset to see the KDF Timeships in the Cstore. I'm more apt to open my wallet for a direct purchase than I am to attempt to gamble my way into acquiring one.

I dropped $60 for the BortasQu set without a second thought, so doing the same for all the KDF timeships would not be a stretch.
I find it highly unlikely they will go this route, but I'd much prefer getting the Mirror Timeship on a $60 C-Store buy than seeing it appear as a 400 Lobi ship I need to open 50-100 boxes to obtain... at $1 a box!
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
Captain
# 17
09-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
These are all good points. Still, I am not entirely sure we can reconstruct the decision-making process so cleanly on this end of the decision. We simply don't have enough data, and with the great success of the Tholian Lock Box it would come as no surprise to see the devs begin to put higher value items (i.e., ships with consoles, and even faction-specific ships) into the Lock Box. They may be riding a wave here.

So perhaps we are seeing a new trend in lock box sales, one which may have been present from the very beginning of the deisng of the Wells/Korath. Or perhaps, as you suggest, they were originally C-store ships. We don't have enough evidence to say either way.
It is not hard to deconstruct what happened given the evidence present.

What sold the Tholian boxes: Set combo. The rush to get the web console into the ship that best made use of it: recluse. Double set combo: Recluse combo with its fighters works best when the web is active.

The timeships were already planned and being worked on before the tholian stuff came out. Its a basic part of any development cycle.

Seeing the unique console and the faction-specific of the timeships puts them right on into them having been slotted as store ships from the start. Stahl in interviews mentioned new ships coming to the store when he was discussing the Wells class.

The mirror variants show all the elements of a lockbox ship. The previous mirror ships were rather popular albeit not highly valued since they weren't any better than existing ships however so for the timeships they were given uniqueness via being alternatives to the main store ships (wells/korath). A real reason to get them via lockbox.

It is clear that seeing the success of the tholian 'set' frenzy running up the sale of keys they decided to move all these ships into lockbox and ride the cash wave. They added the extra 'set' powers of combining the mirror and the real ships plus the lobi items combo set to drive up the sales.

Furthermore, there were only two other ships the devs have mentioned in the past as 'coming up' : the andorian warship and the Vesta.

The Andorian as mentioned long ago was to be a store ship. Now however it very likely will be another lockbox ship. Vesta we were not told yet what it would be but given the mythos and hype surrounding it being 'special' its likely slotted to be the 1000 day vet reward.

...unless of course that (and it is now HIGHLY likely) that seeing how they now turned cstore ships into lockboxes the devs may instead give another turd-flinging monkey pet as the 1000 day reward (will this one just be BIG and cover the entire hallway of DS9?) and put the Vesta as a super-low chance lockbox ship. After all, they make more money out of a single ship being lockbox than out of the few hundred people that still pay for this game 3 years straight..or had the misfortune of buying the lifetime offer right before F2P patch.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
# 18
09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
There was one other ship - the Ambassador, specifically mentioned by Rivera as being intended for a mission chain end reward in S7.

Unknown what the KDF version of that reward might be.

These plus the 1000-day variants, if it is not the Andorian broadside ship.
Empire Veteran
# 19
09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm really disappointed that there are no c-store ships anymore. I can't afford this Lockbox madness anymore.

Every Lockbox ship seems more insanely "must have" for PvP competitiveness, that I just shake my head.
Empire Veteran
# 20
09-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
I'm really disappointed that there are no c-store ships anymore. I can't afford this Lockbox madness anymore.

Every Lockbox ship seems more insanely "must have" for PvP competitiveness, that I just shake my head.
Hm not really. The Galor and the D'kora remain pretty good pvp ships. They might have no special console but a good photonic displacement (currently worth 2m on the exchange) is enough and will turn any KDF ship into a deadly stealth machine. That's simple, I've bought a pack for every single char I have.

The Orb and the Recluse are also decent pvp ships but their consoles are pretty disappointing. I've tested both and they aren't really pvp oriented.

Now i'm not sure how these timeships work. There are still many unknown factors: Cooldowns, durations, AoE, etc. They might not be a "must have" either. They'll be great pvp ships but I'm not sure any other lockbox ship can't be competitive if it's properly fitted.

Anyway, the most interesting ship is the lobi one, and cryptic said lobi ships should stay forever (forever = at least 3-4 months here), so you'll have plenty of time to earn some energy credits, even without farming them. Anyone can make 60-70M in 4-5 months selling STF loots, prosthetics from defera, reward boxes from nukara, etc. Just sell everything you find, I made my very first millions this way and got a galor while I was still a noob about EC grabbing a few months ago. Keep hope! You CAN get these ships without spending any real money in the game if you don't want to, it just takes time. But at least it'll give you a goal to play the game.

Last edited by diogene0; 09-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.