Lieutenant
# 21
09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post

I'd rather a discussion on a faction that is going to be practical (like the Romulans) instead of one that isn't (like the Borg).
Same can be said about the Romulans since there technology is basically very similar to the Klingons, it wouldn't do much for variety in ships which is why the Borg would be more interesting since it can mean including ships outside the aplha quadrant.
Career Officer
# 22
09-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoforce42 View Post
I was wondering if this will ever be possible. I know we have 'liberated' borg but there not really fun since would love to play ground combat where I can assimilate others. Plus I'd love to fly the Borg ships since I love the designs, maybe it could lead to explaining more about how 'vger' was assimilated or how the Borg have recovered from the civil war, maybe more about the 'queens' origins, etc....
I'd say playable borg faction isn't very likely, atleast within the next ten or twenty years (if sto lasts that long)

But i can guarantee you'll be seeing borg cubes in lockboxes soon.
Joined August 2008

Last edited by cormoran; 09-24-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Captain
# 23
09-24-2012, 08:34 PM
A few months ago I wrote up a basic plan for making a viable monster play Borg faction. I'll go dig up the thread and paste it here, because without much effort a playable Borg might be possible.
Empire Veteran
# 24
09-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Your probably right but they really need to start developing content instead of trying to add refit ships. It's like the fleet ships where they look like barely the same as the normal ships but if they focused less on stuff like that then they could focus more on improved factions. I honestly don't know what there really doing to improve sto at moment since I'd have prefered more content that saying random crew on duty officer missions.
Yeah I agree with the ship thing. It seems that's the only content they want to do, and it's primarily lock box ships that only a handful of players can get access too.

Content, as in playable missions is what will keep people in this game, ships are nice, but really we have so many options for the Federation in that regard (lacking for the KDF though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I'd rather a discussion on a faction that is going to be practical (like the Romulans) instead of one that isn't (like the Borg).
I agree, Romulans and True Way I feel are more practical than the Borg. But considering how un-Trek this game has become in the past 6-8 months I wouldn't be surprised with what Cryptic will do. They seem to find the least canon/Trek thing and then do it. Tholian ships, 29th Century ships, Borg faction. I fear if they keep going down this road, the game will be all but dead in another 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Career Officer
# 25
09-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Green screen Borg UI...

TNG Borg armor...

Plasma firing wrist weapon...

Sphere (30K hull with universal consoles) for a player ship...

I would be one happy camper !!
Captain
# 26
09-25-2012, 05:38 AM
I believe one of the devs said the only way a Borg faction would be implemented by Cryptic is to have Borg players unable to control their characters. The characters would run on automatic and all a player could do is sit back and watch their character assimilate stuff. Since that's how the Borg collective works.

And no, there should not be a Borg faction that has drones with individuality. That would make them cease to be the Borg. If you love the Borg, go play Armada again. They should only be played at the God/4x level because that's what it is to be Borg. The Borg is a single entity. Each cube, sphere, probe, and even drone is just an appendage of a giant superorganism.

Remember what Q said when the Borg were introduced?

"The Borg is the ultimate user."

They should have stuck with that verb for the Borg because it defines them perfectly. A playable Borg faction would ruin the Borg. And I'm sorry op, but what you want is less important than what is good for the Borg, less important than what is good for this game, and far less important than what is good for Star Trek in general.
Career Officer
# 27
09-25-2012, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
I believe one of the devs said the only way a Borg faction would be implemented by Cryptic is to have Borg players unable to control their characters. The characters would run on automatic and all a player could do is sit back and watch their character assimilate stuff. Since that's how the Borg collective works.

And no, there should not be a Borg faction that has drones with individuality. That would make them cease to be the Borg. If you love the Borg, go play Armada again. They should only be played at the God/4x level because that's what it is to be Borg. The Borg is a single entity. Each cube, sphere, probe, and even drone is just an appendage of a giant superorganism.

Remember what Q said when the Borg were introduced?

"The Borg is the ultimate user."

They should have stuck with that verb for the Borg because it defines them perfectly. A playable Borg faction would ruin the Borg. And I'm sorry op, but what you want is less important than what is good for the Borg, less important than what is good for this game, and far less important than what is good for Star Trek in general.
Thank you, could not have said it better...probably could not have said it this well to be honest.
Or in other words: there is no "I" in "Borg".
Lieutenant
# 28
09-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post

That's actually not completly true. The borg are a collective that are controlled by the 'Queen' or by single Borg's that aren't part of the 'drones' like 'seven of nine', her parents, loctus of borg. The idea is not play as a drone but as the the Borg designations that they use to order the drones.

Anyway like been trying to say earlier the Queen would send out reports from different Borg drones, maybe temp alliances hails involving the federation, then she could want to make choices like deciding if a race is worth assimilating, bringing into the ship collective. Depending on the invasions you want to do, depend on what type of crew you have, what sort of powers your ship can use.

Last edited by neoforce42; 09-25-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Captain
# 29
09-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Only if the cubes were the "tanks" and couldn't even destroy a miranda on their own
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Captain
# 30
09-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
That's actually not completly true. The borg are a collective that are controlled by the 'Queen' or by single Borg's that aren't part of the 'drones' like 'seven of nine', her parents, loctus of borg. The idea is not play as a drone but as the the Borg designations that they use to order the drones.
Nope, you're wrong. The Borg are a collective and the Queen is the personification of that collective. She does not control the Borg, she is the Borg using a single female voice. Remember what the queen said in "First Contact"?

"You imply a disparity where none exists. I am the collective."

The Borg "designations" you speak of like the Queen or Locutus or 7 of 9 are actually controlled by the will of the collective. All their actions are compelled by the will of the collective and they cannot do otherwise. They are also the voice of the collective.

So no, you can't play as one of them and still have free will. They are not separate from the other drones. They just seem separate because they speak with their own voices and you mistakenly assume that means they have free will.

Keep persisting if you like, but know that you will never have this your way. No Borg for you.

Last edited by fulleatherjacket; 09-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.