Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Career Officer
# 11
09-23-2012, 11:16 AM
the only complaint that i have about the lockbox ships is that they tend to break the pvp balance even more than it already is. I quit trying the lockbox/grabbag after the winter grab bag last year. and yes i agree if u dont like them just discard thats wat i do
Career Officer
# 12 A different perspective
09-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
I suppose it helps that I have no interest in commanding a non-Starfleet ship.
This. I'm honestly not sure what I'd do with a non-faction ship if I ever won one (which I haven't). I'd probably end up making a Ferengi or "Cardassian" captain, and handing the ship to them.

I recently bought several stacks of keys (on sale), with Zen I had bought when it was on sale. Even as a pre-F2P lifer, I have no issues with occasionally spending money on this game. The things that I want are in the Lobi Store, so my motivation for opening boxes is to get crystals. In the end, I got what I wanted and felt I had gotten a bit of a bargain (relatively speaking).
Saving the universe ... one game at a time.
Commander
# 13
09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
I don?t like lock box content because the very practice of offering lottery virtual items as a revenue stream is an un-ethical business practice. It does not matter that these lottery items offer you a loser prize; a prize for losing that is nowhere near the value of $1.25 USD. If anything, the fact that they offer loser prizes has delayed legal action in the EU and USA. Delayed? nothing more!

Personally, I strongly believe that they would do much better offering the lock box content through the Cryptic Store for a limited time offer purchase, with a limited quantity of the ultra-rare ships. It would be best if these ultra-rare ships were account wide un-locks.
If this lock box content was handled in this way it would be fair. It would also drive Zen Sales because the content would be limited time and limited offer. Just like in a real capitalism!!!

As it is now? it is an un-ethical practice. It favors the very wealthy players, wealth does not have to necessarily mean real life wealth and it causes real world anger with the company from its consumer and fan base.

In fact, I myself will never recommend a Cryptic Studio game again; at least, not as long as these lottery revenue systems are a main-stay for the best gear and loot in the game!
Empire Veteran
# 14
09-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elandarksky View Post
Im guessing its one of those 'people are stupid' kinda thing

Guess s/he was thinking 100 keys will guarantee something based of LUCK, and got butt hurt when they didn't get it.

I myself decided after hording 7000z points i'd just give it a go, on my second to last, got a tholian sci ship, then got another 40 keys or so, for the carrier . (All from my hard earned DILITHIUM)

The truly funny thing? if that person sold their keys for 1mil a piece, (100 keys...) they could have BOUGHT the silly ship they wanted and had 20-30mil to spare
Guess what I won a D'Kora and a Galor off 100 keys last night, and afterwards had enough Lobi to buy the Recluse and the Widow Fighter And I still have +-300 Lobi

Not suggesting that anyone does what I did, as in previous times I got nothing. Ranted a bit. Bought the damn Jemmy for 150 mil and now own all the Lockbox ships

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 09-25-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Career Officer
# 15
09-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleon22 View Post
I don?t like lock box content because the very practice of offering lottery virtual items as a revenue stream is an un-ethical business practice. It does not matter that these lottery items offer you a loser prize; a prize for losing that is nowhere near the value of $1.25 USD. If anything, the fact that they offer loser prizes has delayed legal action in the EU and USA. Delayed? nothing more!

As it is now? it is an un-ethical practice. It favors the very wealthy players, wealth does not have to necessarily mean real life wealth and it causes real world anger with the company from its consumer and fan base.

In fact, I myself will never recommend a Cryptic Studio game again; at least, not as long as these lottery revenue systems are a main-stay for the best gear and loot in the game!
In what way is this an un-ethical practice???

Show me proof that anyone is making any attempt to start legal action against Cryptic, I just don't believe the "i'm gonna sue" threat has any weight to it anymore.

Favors the very wealthy players? Would this be players buying the ships for easy to get EC off the exchange?

How about it causes real world anger from a subset of the companies consumer and fan base, because its obviously very popular over all or Cryptic wouldn't keep bringing it back?
Career Officer
# 16
09-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latiasracer View Post
Hello.

Now, let me get started with something positive. First of Cryptic, i love the latest promotion. Re-ordering the old lockboxes & upping their lobi count is a superb idea, not to mention having the Master Keys at a cut price - Is fantastic.

And now on to the complaining. Cryptic have actually listened to an extent (They can't do everything we ask, due to CBS's restrictions, And personally the idea of having Uber-rare ships is cool), the need/greed has been removed from lockboxes, and the chance of getting that sexy-ass D'kora (and the other ships, but they are not important!) has risen, which is brilliant for people like me.

Now, heres the bit that really gets me. "Ermagerd, i opened 100 lockboxes and got nothing!!! I hate this game!!!" - Random Facebook Commenter

What the f***? 1.) Im 17. I don't have that much money. Everytime a new lockbox comes out, i will get a 10 pack of keys, and open 10. If i don't get what i want, oh well. That works out as ?7 for me, every 2 or so months which is nothing on the ?60ish a month i earn. Why on earth (if you hate gambling and lockboxes so much) would you spend so much damn money on them? It's crazy! First off, they are not compulsory, if anything they are funding the game, keeping it alive, and getting new content added to it. (I Can't speak on behalf of KDF Players, as i prefer FED - But i'm aware you are slightly ignored in the content department) and 2.) Don't like them? DON'T BUY KEYS FOR THEM THEN. RIGHT CLICK AND "DISCARD ALL" Not that difficult.

Thank you Cryptic and Perfect world for a fantastic game, and it's bound to get better and better as time goes on. I'll continue to make microtransactions as and when something cool arises that i like, It's mine. Good job guys.

(also, VOYAGER BRIDGE PACK PLS.)
Good post, I suspect that most of the LOUD protests over lockboxes are, just poor losers sounding off.

Last edited by claransa; 09-25-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: over stated sentence.
Commander
# 17
09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
However, from what I observe, the LOUDEST complainers essentially blame Cryptic for what amounts to a gambling addiction they have no inclination of even TRYING to contain or curb. They usually swear off lockboxes for all eternity... and then buy 200+ keys every time one comes out, rinse, repeat. Every. Time.
you have nothing to say. nothing whatsoever. all you are doing here is lying and insulting people and acting as an apologist.

Quote:
In what way is this an un-ethical practice???
is that a serious question? this has been discussed dozens upon dozens of times

lets start with the fact that they do not disclose the odds. lets also add in the fact that according to california state law this amounts to gambling, and its being encouraged for minors to participate. lets also add in there the offensive comments a certain dev made about being investigated, lets also add in there the fact that they are being investigated in at least two countries for unlawful business practices

Quote:
Show me proof that anyone is making any attempt to start legal action against Cryptic
you mean like two countries investigating them for illegal activities? as it stands right now, anyone does have grounds to file such action, if they wanted to. however their gain would only be the money they paid into it back, which normally would be far less than they would pay in legal costs. thats why no individual person has filed such a suit

Quote:
Favors the very wealthy players? Would this be players buying the ships for easy to get EC off the exchange?
your statement makes no sense. everything there is limited in number and in the hundreds of millions of credits when it is available. not everyone has that kind of money lying around. and that still doesn't counter the fact that this setup does in fact favor those with money

Quote:
How about it causes real world anger from a subset of the companies consumer and fan base, because its obviously very popular over all or Cryptic wouldn't keep bringing it back?
that is circular logic

Quote:
Good post, I suspect that most of the LOUD protests over lockboxes are, just poor losers sounding off.
how about you stop insulting people
Starfleet Veteran
# 18 LoL but Serial??
09-26-2012, 01:20 AM
the Lockboxes just down right annoy me, you can proclaim I'm somesort of addict Mr. red01999, but I've in totaly opened 6 lock boxes with annoying results... back when the Cardie boxes where out I only opened the first purple I got sold the second one on exchange, got nothing. then opened the "ONLY" ferengi lockbox I ever got crappy results again. then just recently opened one of each lock box for giggles.

the lockboxes are for those who like a gamble... or have plenty of expendable cash, I have neither. I'm gonna try to get the Time Traveller Outfit, anything I get whether its the ship or anything of any value is being sold on the exchange.

I play a Fed Science main toon, you think I'd be jumping for joy with a new science ship looming... well no... not really. I have a lovely Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit the next ship on my list is the Fleet version, then after that? I'm jumping to The Elder Scrolls Online... no crappy lock boxes there. (prayers to Dibella)

I like Star Trek Online I'm currently still very passionate but these lockboxes are disheartening.

RachelJ88
Captain
# 19
09-26-2012, 07:03 AM
The only part of the Lockboxes which annoy me are the Lobi Store prices. I have no issue with the price of Keys, or even with the idea that you're simply buying 4 Lobi for the $1.25 - anything else you get from a Lockboxes is just a bonus. I just find the prices in the Lobi Store to be ridiculous. If you're going to pay 800 Lobi for a Ship it should be an account-wide unlock, not single character - and it should be 400 Lobi rather then 800, IMO.
Career Officer
# 20
09-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latiasracer View Post
And now on to the complaining. Cryptic have actually listened to an extent (They can't do everything we ask, due to CBS's restrictions, And personally the idea of having Uber-rare ships is cool), the need/greed has been removed from lockboxes, and the chance of getting that sexy-ass D'kora (and the other ships, but they are not important!) has risen, which is brilliant for people like me.
I'm not convinced of this.

We are told that CBS lays down the law in regard to what is and what isn't allowed. We were also told that the Galor and D'Kora were to remain rare (cause CBS didn't want everyone flying around in them; reasonable, it's logical. It's not like Starfleet would be issuing a Federation crew with a Galor Cruiser anyway) but here's the snag, at our request, the Galor, D'Kora and Tholian ships have suddenly become more available to everyone. The chance of attaining one has increased. I can't believe for a single moment that this was a choice by CBS. I don't think they had any say on the lock box content, and that it's all Cryptics doing.

They say they're rare and can't be given to everyone so more people pay the money to unlock 100+ boxes and receive nothing (people that spend this sort of money don't use the brains they were born with). After some fan feedback, Cryptic decides to make these vessels more open to the community so that more people can use them, again, now making even more money out of us.

It's all about the greedy little hobbitses.