Lieutenant
# 21
09-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xapocalypseponyx View Post
Some truth here, I think. I just recently published my first foundry mission. Reviews:

5 Stars - "An astounding mission. You could have written an episode."

1 Star - "to(sic) long boring and stupid"

As another review stated, it's a "creative, fun Trekkish" story. So, yeah, I guess if you are not a fan of Star Trek...
What a lot of people don't get is that I am writing an entire story. With different characters with different personalities. It is based on my main character and what I would like to see in a Star Trek series. I spent an entire episode (Mission) on bringing in my Borg bridge officer into the series. No she is not like 7 of 9. She is a Starfleet officer that was assimilated and rescued by the Endeavour and crew and becomes one of the crew. The point I am trying to get at is that Star Trek is not about who the next alien of the week is, or about how much firepower a Starship. It is about compelling people and how they deal with extraordinary situations that they are put in.
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
09-26-2012, 09:57 AM
It's like any creative work, there are going to be some people who just won't "get" what you're trying to do. What I do is I look at those reviews and see if maybe there's something I can glean from them as a way to make the mission better. Sometimes there isn't cause what they want is completely antithetical to what I'm trying to design, but occasionally they pick up on a plot hole or a two-dimensional character or jokes that fall flat (if the reviewers make the effort to be that specific).

But if I get even one player who really gets it and really likes it, I call that a success.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 23
09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
It's like any creative work, there are going to be some people who just won't "get" what you're trying to do. What I do is I look at those reviews and see if maybe there's something I can glean from them as a way to make the mission better. Sometimes there isn't cause what they want is completely antithetical to what I'm trying to design, but occasionally they pick up on a plot hole or a two-dimensional character or jokes that fall flat (if the reviewers make the effort to be that specific).

But if I get even one player who really gets it and really likes it, I call that a success.
Yeah there's always people who hate the basic conceptof your work.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.