Commander
# 1 Starting Science Path
09-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Heya chaps, I have started a science character and I was wondering if anyone had a good build for Science. I will end up with the Reconnaissance Science Vessel when I get to vice admiral but any advice as far as skills would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Edit
This will be for PVE, not PVP.
Empire Veteran
# 2
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Well, what are you wanting to do, both in space, and on ground? There's plenty of things you can do, it's just a matter of what you're wanting to do.

Survivor of Romulus
# 3
09-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the blue shirts !!!

Before I make any recommendations, I need to know which "space" role you would like to fill. One of the unique things about playing a sci character is that there are many roles you can play and stick with a science ship.

For example, Controller, Disabler, Healer, etc...
Personally I play as a Damage/Control Hybrid so let us know what you want to do...
Admiral Saren Helev

"Misdirection is the key to survival, never attack what your enemy defends, never behave as your enemy expects, and never reveal your true strength, if knowledge is power then to be unknown is to be unconquerable."
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly0 View Post
Heya chaps, I have started a science character and I was wondering if anyone had a good build for Science. I will end up with the Reconnaissance Science Vessel when I get to vice admiral but any advice as far as skills would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Edit
This will be for PVE, not PVP.
You show great wisdom. In all honesty if you're just going for PVE play it's hard to screw up a build. Don't worry about the more "exotic" defense skills and don't put more than 6 ranks in anything past tier 3. Telling us what style you want to play will change Boff power selection and energy settings but not have a lot of effect on your build as far as skill points in my opinion. You'll have more than enough points to max out the "big" skills and dable in the rest.

For a generic PVE build I'd recommend maxing out these skills.
Tactical
Starship weapons training, starship energy weapons, starship projectile weapons, starship maneuvers, starship targeting systems,
Engineering
structural integrity, starship hull repair,
Science
starship flow capacitors, starship shield emitters, sharship shield systems, starship graviton generators and starship particle generators
Ground
Medic, Personal shield generator and weapon proficiency

Then put 6 ranks in the following engineering skills.
starship electro plasma systems, starship impulse thrustors, starship warp core efficeincy, starship warp core potential, starship auxiliary performance and starship hull plating

That'll leave you with 94500 points to play with to your hearts content. Because the builds PVE only and you're wanting to fly a sci ship avoid Starship inertial dampeners, starship sensors, starship engine performance, starship threat control and starship stealth. While they might help a little they wouldn't make a big difference in your PVE life or would just get you killed by pulling too much agg. 3 ranks in Driver coil is a nice quality of life investment but not something I'd recommend for min-maxing.

Use this link to play with a build. http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

Once again all this advice is for a PVE only sci ship. If you decide to PVP putting three ranks in the "exotic" defenses will make life a lot easier.
Captain
# 5
09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't mean to hijack a thread, but I also want to start a Sci-PvE toon but I would *love* to cap my ship with an Excelsior refit.

Would razellis's suggestion still work as a decent template?
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene