Lt. Commander
# 21
09-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darat View Post
And now you have given the reason for it staying the way it is from a pvp perspective.

Any one who pvp's does ~not~ want to be stuck in the frontal arc of any ship is the 90 degree arc in front of a ship is where not only torps fire from, but also most of the offensive boff skills work from.
Hell no. That would be awesome, and it would make that "Can Equip Cannons" ability on the Gal-X usable again, since they could tractor people and cannon them to death to make up for the fact that the thing turns like a bloated whale. Suddenly Polarize Hull would become much more important! It would be awesome!

It would remind me of the old Netrek days, driving a battleship, tractoring people in to mercilessly phaser them to death. Plus, the tractor beam was totally useful back then. You maneuvered a clunker like a battleship using your tractorbeam like a bat-grapple to help you corner, turn, accelerate, and brake, casually yanking on friendly and enemy ships alike, pulling friendlies out of incoming fire, shoving enemies into it...good times.

Last edited by jkname; 09-25-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 22
09-26-2012, 03:56 PM
This is a great idea! I've never seen it like that but indeed the tractor beam needs some improvements.

Hardcore PvP players can deal with it, they are anyway almost permanently immune to tractor beams so who cares? Whatever the change is they find a way to complain.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Honestly, the tractor beam should be less a "science power" that you need a magic spell to even USE, and more a piece of standard equipment on every ship, that everyone can use, anytime they wish, to grab, yank, and manhandle the rest of the universe. Maybe I want to hold you in place. Maybe I want to tow a friendly ship along with a course correction because he's out of formation. Maybe I just want to use it to make a really badass handbrake turn so I can powerslide my ship around while still facing you.