Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 21
09-25-2012, 04:13 PM
What really pisses me off when it comes to these 'new ships' is the character-unlock only aspect. I mean, come on. Not only are we taking a gamble with the key route, but we're only given one copy of the ship, for one character. If you buy it off the exchange, it's still 100-150 million EC(my estimation for what the price will be on these new ships) for ONE character-bound ship. Not so bad if you can get into the routine of grinding up several tens of millions of EC per day/week, but not everyone does that.

WTF happened to just making something C-store accessible, with an ESTABLISHED price tag that everyone could work for and access on their own time (2k zen for a B'rel retro, etc)? This lockbox gimmick is just annoying, and a method of luring people into spending more and more money on digital property that really isn't worth the money.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 141
# 22
09-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
What really pisses me off when it comes to these 'new ships' is the character-unlock only aspect. I mean, come on. Not only are we taking a gamble with the key route, but we're only given one copy of the ship, for one character. If you buy it off the exchange, it's still 100-150 million EC(my estimation for what the price will be on these new ships) for ONE character-bound ship. Not so bad if you can get into the routine of grinding up several tens of millions of EC per day/week, but not everyone does that.

WTF happened to just making something C-store accessible, with an ESTABLISHED price tag that everyone could work for and access on their own time (2k zen for a B'rel retro, etc)? This lockbox gimmick is just annoying, and a method of luring people into spending more and more money on digital property that really isn't worth the money.
While I agree with you from a customer persepctive, it's hard to fault them from a business perspective as well. It is a business venture after all, and while people are still willing to pay these ridiculous premiums for a very moderate at best increase in performance there is no incentive for them to change their business procedures.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,397
# 23
09-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Really I feel the problems is the fact they aren't getting many subscriptions. In fact many are actually cancelling subscriptions as there is no point in paying $10 a month anymore.

If they were smart, these new ships should become available in the C-store for Gold and Lifetime members, to encourage more people to buy a subscription or lifetime. Perhaps have the lock box there still but gold and lifetimers can instead go and buy it as an account unlock. Or if they want, they can go the F2P way and play the lock box lottery.

That way both parties win. If a F2P player like my son wants it, then they need to at least take out a subscription. Now the only thing they need to figure out is how to stop people taking out the sub, getting the ship and then cancelling it. Perhaps an auto refund of Zen in the case a member cancels their sub. They still get their Zen back so aren't being ripped off, but can't take advantage of a gold only feature.
Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 598
# 24
09-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Really I feel the problems is the fact they aren't getting many subscriptions. In fact many are actually cancelling subscriptions as there is no point in paying $10 a month anymore.

If they were smart, these new ships should become available in the C-store for Gold and Lifetime members, to encourage more people to buy a subscription or lifetime. Perhaps have the lock box there still but gold and lifetimers can instead go and buy it as an account unlock. Or if they want, they can go the F2P way and play the lock box lottery.

That way both parties win. If a F2P player like my son wants it, then they need to at least take out a subscription. Now the only thing they need to figure out is how to stop people taking out the sub, getting the ship and then cancelling it. Perhaps an auto refund of Zen in the case a member cancels their sub. They still get their Zen back so aren't being ripped off, but can't take advantage of a gold only feature.
This is actually a really interesting idea, and one that gives a nice little nod to the subscription folks. Good suggestion.

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,397
# 25
09-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
This is actually a really interesting idea, and one that gives a nice little nod to the subscription folks. Good suggestion.
Thanks mate, undoubtedly Stahl and Cryptic will come up with some reason not to implement it, unfairness to F2P players or something. Like they did with the KDF Fleet ships not getting a discount, also like the Kar'fi, B'rel and Gorn ship not being included.

One day I'd love for Cryptic to prove me wrong and pleasantly surprise me.
Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,845
# 26
09-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Really I feel the problems is the fact they aren't getting many subscriptions. In fact many are actually cancelling subscriptions as there is no point in paying $10 a month anymore.

If they were smart, these new ships should become available in the C-store for Gold and Lifetime members, to encourage more people to buy a subscription or lifetime. Perhaps have the lock box there still but gold and lifetimers can instead go and buy it as an account unlock. Or if they want, they can go the F2P way and play the lock box lottery.

That way both parties win. If a F2P player like my son wants it, then they need to at least take out a subscription. Now the only thing they need to figure out is how to stop people taking out the sub, getting the ship and then cancelling it. Perhaps an auto refund of Zen in the case a member cancels their sub. They still get their Zen back so aren't being ripped off, but can't take advantage of a gold only feature.
I like it!!!! and would support such an aproach with my wallet wide open.
Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....

R.I.P
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 598
# 27
09-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Thanks mate, undoubtedly Stahl and Cryptic will come up with some reason not to implement it, unfairness to F2P players or something. Like they did with the KDF Fleet ships not getting a discount, also like the Kar'fi, B'rel and Gorn ship not being included.

One day I'd love for Cryptic to prove me wrong and pleasantly surprise me.
And on this matter, let's hope you are wrong!!!=)

But really, I think it is a fantastic idea. And I think it would be a nice policy overall: All lockbox ships should be purchasable by subscription people from the C-store. In fact, so that the idea gets exposure, I will start a new thread in the KDF General forum. Perhaps you can just put your vote of confidence there to give it legitimation. And perhaps you too, Roach, since you seem to like his idea.

here is the link: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...11#post5848011

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus

Last edited by gradstudent1; 09-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 131
# 28
09-26-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm not surprised but I am disappointed that Cryptic broke another promise that lockboxes would only have faction neutral ships. Well at least this saves me time with hoping for any promises being kept, lemme just toss all these out the window so it won't come as a shock to me when Cryptic goes back on yet another word.

Great trolling on the KDF btw, offer a KDF ship after a long drought but instead of a Cstore it'll be a lockbox one. Taking cues from EA?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,397
# 29
09-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent1 View Post
And on this matter, let's hope you are wrong!!!=)

But really, I think it is a fantastic idea. And I think it would be a nice policy overall: All lockbox ships should be purchasable by subscription people from the C-store. In fact, so that the idea gets exposure, I will start a new thread in the KDF General forum. Perhaps you can just put your vote of confidence there to give it legitimation. And perhaps you too, Roach, since you seem to like his idea.

here is the link: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...11#post5848011
Thanks, yeah I hope I am wrong, but I just have so my negativity towards Cryptic and PWE due to their actions, broken promised and the like that I doubt they will do anything for their Customers. It's all take, take and take. When was the last time a free ship or mission hit the game? April for the mission Alpha and god knows when for the ship. It's all about greed and exploiting their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveldra View Post
I'm not surprised but I am disappointed that Cryptic broke another promise that lockboxes would only have faction neutral ships. Well at least this saves me time with hoping for any promises being kept, lemme just toss all these out the window so it won't come as a shock to me when Cryptic goes back on yet another word.

Great trolling on the KDF btw, offer a KDF ship after a long drought but instead of a Cstore it'll be a lockbox one. Taking cues from EA?
Yeah it seems breaking promises is their new motto. And they wonder why the community has so much negativeness towards them. Cancel subscriptions and just simply leave and not come back. We are sick of being exploited by these money hungry greedy Ferengi. Damn greedy little big eared trolls!
Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,845
# 30
09-27-2012, 05:13 AM
I don't mind having to buy something for the KDF, if its worth buying and the price is right, but the gamble that is the lockbox to enjoy a new KDF ship is not worth it.
I'll spend less on it in the Exchange after grinding DL to convert to EC.

Majestics idea is a good one and would show some love to those who risk subscribing to STO.
Price the new Ships at $25 a piece, make them character restricted and if you drop one you must rebuy it. Seems fair to me and Cryptic still makes thier money.
Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....

R.I.P
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM.