Lieutenant
# 561
09-24-2012, 09:25 PM
I just tried a tracert to patchserver.crypticstudios.com

it made it 14 hops to -
cryptic-3.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.61.78]

and after that it was all timeouts

I didn't see any of that cogent or whatever, it was all cox.net (my ISP) and then a bunch of savvis.net, and then pnap.net started at 13, and 14 I listed in full above.

But the point is, the tracert is actually reaching a cryptic server, and then it pukes. How's that for incriminating?
Ensign
# 562
09-26-2012, 04:52 PM
same here,tying to update the launcher,
but my champions online work just fine,they have the save launcher
Lieutenant
# 563
09-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by langitruntuh View Post
same here,tying to update the launcher,
but my champions online work just fine,they have the save launcher
Oh, my! Well, thanks for keeping the topic alive

Somewhere back in the 52 pages of this thread, there is a suggestion about using VPN. I'm going to dig back and try to find it again.

Load fresh bowl, make fresh pot of tea, embark upon quest singing, "I am I, Don Quixote, the lord of La Mancha, my destiny calls and I go..."
Lieutenant
# 564
09-27-2012, 10:04 AM
OK, I was actually able to patch, login, and play the game last night, literally for the first time in months. I did this using the VPN workaround described in the following post -

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ee#post5761811

However, let me add a few words of advice and clarification, since this workaround was originally developed for Blacklight Retribution, a different PW game.

1) Wherever the post talks about the "BLR launcher", substitute the phrase "STO launcher"

2) For me, the patching process was excruciatingly slow, taking a bit over 3 hours in all. In all fairness, however, I'd been away for months, and missed a couple of quite major updates. This was about 13G of patches to be processed.

3) Leave the VPN activated until you reach the character selection screen. At that point, you can finally turn off the VPN utility, and log in with the character of your choice. Do not actually log in your character with VPN activated or you will have terrible lag. No, I mean even worse than usual

4) Once you're in the game, you can change characters without needing to re-activate VPN, even though that process involves re-entering your password. Don't ask me why, I have no (expletive deleted) clue.

5) The whole thing isn't nearly as intimidating as it sounds. You just Google "hotspot shield", download the FREE version of their utility, install it, and fire up STO. No file manipulation is involved, and no advanced computer knowledge is needed. I did not avail myself of the 7-day free trial of their elite version, I just downloaded the free version and used that. Free trial versions of things tend to mess up your system when they expire, in my experience.

6) Be aware that the free version is ad-driven. Even if you de-select their wretched toolbar option during the install, it will still inflict some ads on you. Basically, every time you start up their free VPN utility, it will open your browser (if it's not already), and show you an ad for their company, trying to persuade you to upgrade to the paid "elite" version. You can close their ad immediately with no harm done, and the good news is that once VPN is turned off, the ads stop appearing.

Last edited by chastity1337; 09-27-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Ensign
# 565
09-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chastity1337 View Post
OK, I was actually able to patch, login, and play the game last night, literally for the first time in months. I did this using the VPN workaround described in the following post -

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...ee#post5761811

However, let me add a few words of advice and clarification, since this workaround was originally developed for Blacklight Retribution, a different PW game.

1) Wherever the post talks about the "BLR launcher", substitute the phrase "STO launcher"

2) For me, the patching process was excruciatingly slow, taking a bit over 3 hours in all. In all fairness, however, I'd been away for months, and missed a couple of quite major updates. This was about 13G of patches to be processed.

3) Leave the VPN activated until you reach the character selection screen. At that point, you can finally turn off the VPN utility, and log in with the character of your choice. Do not actually log in your character with VPN activated or you will have terrible lag. No, I mean even worse than usual

4) Once you're in the game, you can change characters without needing to re-activate VPN, even though that process involves re-entering your password. Don't ask me why, I have no (expletive deleted) clue.

5) The whole thing isn't nearly as intimidating as it sounds. You just Google "hotspot shield", download the FREE version of their utility, install it, and fire up STO. No file manipulation is involved, and no advanced computer knowledge is needed. I did not avail myself of the 7-day free trial of their elite version, I just downloaded the free version and used that. Free trial versions of things tend to mess up your system when they expire, in my experience.

6) Be aware that the free version is ad-driven. Even if you de-select their wretched toolbar option during the install, it will still inflict some ads on you. Basically, every time you start up their free VPN utility, it will open your browser (if it's not already), and show you an ad for their company, trying to persuade you to upgrade to the paid "elite" version. You can close their ad immediately with no harm done, and the good news is that once VPN is turned off, the ads stop appearing.
Well it worked three times then it was back to the same old error as before.
Ensign
# 566
09-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Hello, I know the topic seems to have been solved but. What if you do NOT have Team viewer at all such as myself, and no other remote control software? Also have tried to reinstall, and disabled anti virus but not working still crashes right on log in.
Lt. Commander
# 567
10-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Having same issue, tracing gets all the way to cryptic then bombs out.
Ensign
# 568
10-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felspar View Post
I was having this problem. I changed the option in the launcher from Proxy: None to Proxy: US and the game launched.
i get the launcher and everything is fine til i cilck engage and it gives me
"unable to start game client:%1is an invalid win32 application" WTF, and no one seems to give a crap!!
Lieutenant
# 569
10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstabber9 View Post
i get the launcher and everything is fine til i cilck engage and it gives me
"unable to start game client:%1is an invalid win32 application" WTF, and no one seems to give a crap!!
I feel your pain, brother. Cryptic's lack of concern is truly epic.

My only suggestion would be, are you running the game in Steam? If so, try running the STO executable directly. You'll have to use Win-R and browse to your game directory. Mine looks like this, but your location may vary.

"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online.exe"

That "%1 " in the error message you're getting is a variable that was supposed to be passed and wasn't, but I don't know what that means, sorry to say.
Lieutenant
# 570
10-05-2012, 03:47 PM
It is soo ridiculas that this has happened. STO was working fine for me pre-patch. Then all of a sudden this happens and I can't patch the game. Thanks very much Devs well made patch!