Lieutenant
# 1 Update the GFX engine pls...
09-26-2012, 10:54 PM
I have heard it said many times that the graphics in STO are not high end like single player games as you have to tune for performance in an MMO. So why don't we have graphics like EVE Online which has tons of players per map?

For example their planets http://youtu.be/InimDSMVHiY

New DirectX 11 tech http://youtu.be/YXYeNiXHWmc

and ships.. http://youtu.be/IJIEu7hA5lE

Graphically I think STO could use a major overhaul. This would make it way more immersive and feel like you are truly exploring the stars. Currently while fun to play and I am by no means leaving for another game, it is however looking quite dated in many areas.

For the most part (like 99.99%) it is the users computer carrying the weight of graphical enhancements. (I have worked on MMOs) No reason away missions could not have Unreal tech looking graphics as it handles way more people per map at a time. Same with starbases and other instanced maps.

Lastly... What happened to ripples in water when you run through it? A few weeks back your uniform would get wet and you'd more or less splash around. Now nothing again. Graphics is actually taking a step backward... lol

Still fun game though, but for $25 a ship I want it to look as real as possible!
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
09-27-2012, 12:14 AM
i agree the game engine needs a huge update
Commander
# 3
09-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Go and frack yourself. Not everyone is playing with some super DX11 graphic cards that will be able to run such things. I play on integral GPU and as it is I can still run on middle details. If I had to switch to half resolution to play, I would kick STO in the balls and find myself another game. And I think I'm not the only one who thinks so.
Career Officer
# 4
09-27-2012, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos1978 View Post
Go and frack yourself. Not everyone is playing with some super DX11 graphic cards that will be able to run such things. I play on integral GPU and as it is I can still run on middle details. If I had to switch to half resolution to play, I would kick STO in the balls and find myself another game. And I think I'm not the only one who thinks so.
There is currently an option in STO to choose between DX9 and DX11 so if they added advanced DX11 stuff (that you would be able to turn on and off anyways) won't affect you if you can't use DX11 or don't enable the features.

Don't jump down someones throat without thinking first.
12th-Feet
Fleet Admiral Enterprise-D
Career Officer
# 5
09-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Also if you had bothered to watch the tessellation video near the end you would have seen how this effect can be reduced to nothing or ramped up to insane levels. As in all games the options for video can be reduced to suit your video card or lack of, are you honestly purporting that everyone should suffer the same mediocre level of graphics you enjoy until you yourself are able to purchase something with a bit more ooomph?

Nobody is saying you have to halve the resolution, that's not how it would work at all.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 6
09-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcanis View Post
I have heard it said many times that the graphics in STO are not high end like single player games as you have to tune for performance in an MMO. So why don't we have graphics like EVE Online which has tons of players per map?

For example their planets http://youtu.be/InimDSMVHiY

New DirectX 11 tech http://youtu.be/YXYeNiXHWmc

and ships.. http://youtu.be/IJIEu7hA5lE

Graphically I think STO could use a major overhaul. This would make it way more immersive and feel like you are truly exploring the stars. Currently while fun to play and I am by no means leaving for another game, it is however looking quite dated in many areas.

For the most part (like 99.99%) it is the users computer carrying the weight of graphical enhancements. (I have worked on MMOs) No reason away missions could not have Unreal tech looking graphics as it handles way more people per map at a time. Same with starbases and other instanced maps.

Lastly... What happened to ripples in water when you run through it? A few weeks back your uniform would get wet and you'd more or less splash around. Now nothing again. Graphics is actually taking a step backward... lol

Still fun game though, but for $25 a ship I want it to look as real as possible!
OMG Tessallation is beyond awesome, want it now!!!

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 7
09-27-2012, 02:47 AM
The following was made in-another post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Our graphics are never going to match those of a single player game with tons of money behind it.

Our graphics engine is actually pretty decent. The problem is that because we are an ongoing game, which needs to support very low end cards, there are some things that higher end cards are capable of, which we can't take advantage of without alienating our lower end users. I talked some about that in the Starbase Incursion Flashlight discussion a while back.

We have to make sure low end can run our game. Anything we can add on, which is purely eye candy, and isn't required for gameplay, we will add.

The graphic programmers have been working on DX11 for a while now. I haven't heard any specific updates from them recently, but I know that they're still on it.

As for specific features, I'm not aware of all of them. I do know that we have looked into tessellation before, and found that it is NOT something that can just be applied across the board. Assets have to be built with tessellation in mind, or they just break. It's not because they were built poorly before, it's just a different way of going about things. The good news here is that we can turn tessellation on at the material level. So we can, as we go forward, build with that in mind, and potentially use it in future productions.

I'd love to have access to DX11 shadows, but I haven't heard anything about it from the programmers.
whilst we are on the subject i would like to see mmos and all games with this:
Next Generation Graphics - Human Skin Simulation
Future of Game Graphics - VFX tech Demo

This on top of the DX11 tessellation and higher resolution textures is my dream for games, but till our realtime redering bandwith and speed improves for gaming it will be a while till we get that far.

in the meantime this is a good watch: The Future of Gaming
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.

Last edited by th3xr34p3r; 09-27-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
09-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Quote:
So because you have a low end PC everyone else has to lose out even though you could stay on the current settings while others choose the new higher settings?
Lieutenant
# 9
09-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:

Whoa dude.. What's with the hostility? You'd think I killed your puppy or something. Graphics settings are there for a reason. It wouldn't stop you from playing. On my laptop I play with integral GPU same as you, but my desktop can handle a lot more and it would be great to take advantage of that power when playing on it. No offence meant. I in no way mean to shut out those with lower video capabilities, just to improve for those who can handle the experience tech wise.

@th3xr34p3r

Cool vids! I want that now! lol Maybe in a couple more years at the rate graphics cards and tech evolves that stuff will be in every game.
Lieutenant
# 10
09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm no game developer, but wouldn't creating new higher-resolution textures, and more textures, and more textures, as well as particle effects take a lot of... time?

It would be cool and all, but it sounds like the game would have to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up.

I was wondering the same thing about the water ripples... I always loved that