Lt. Commander
# 31
06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
You may be curious to know how the new Star Trek movie affects Star Trek Online. Wonder no further, as we’ve put together a handy-dandy graphical timeline for your perusal. Also included is a written explanation that explains exactly how the movie and STO can coexist. Give it a look here.

Link to the news article.
Hmmm, looks strangely familiar
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for clearing this up for all those that weren't sure. (Inclduing me at one stage).
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-13-2009, 12:15 PM
In my opinion, this alternate reality thing is proof that JJ Abrams doesn't like Star Trek as much as he claims he does. This is the perfect way for him to completly hijack the mythos of Star Trek and twist it into what ever he feels it should have been. Read carfuly that last line too.
Not what he thinks it should be, what he thinks it SHOULD HAVE BEEN! It's one thing to take the series in a new direction by continuing the time line, but to take know characters and events and DILIBERATLY reconfigure them to fit your image or to sell better in some new age of shallow story telling and over the top CGI and sex is not what a true fan f the series would do.
It's not keep it alive, it's replacng it with a doppleganger, and a poor one at that.
Simply because of Mr Abram's self-importance, aragance and in ability to write stories for any one but himself he's caused the fan base to divide, forced the hand of a new game development team and sold Star Trek to an audiance that will now go back and by the older series on DVD and get all winy that they'll need to use thier brains to grasp the stories.

Was it a good movie, I don't know, after I saw it I nither liked it nor hated it, it wasn't fantastic but it wasn't horrable. But I still say it wasn't star trek.

End my 2 cents.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I still stand by my believe that this 'abram-verse' is a slap in the face for the heart and soul of what star trek is all about, let's face it, there is no longer the 'prime universe' because as far as paramount are concerned its erased from history, rebooted, restart, erased, etc etc

STO and books is all we got left of our beloved star trek, from here on end its gonna be this refreshed rubbish,i guess it gives meaning to what trekkie & trekker means now! lol
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith View Post
I still stand by my believe that this 'abram-verse' is a slap in the face for the heart and soul of what star trek is all about, let's face it, there is no longer the 'prime universe' because as far as paramount are concerned its erased from history, rebooted, restart, erased, etc etc

STO and books is all we got left of our beloved star trek, from here on end its gonna be this refreshed rubbish,i guess it gives meaning to what trekkie & trekker means now! lol
Trekkie for old and trekker for new lol

Well don't worry as long as we have STO we should be good

But don't give up hope on a new series or movie from the Prime universe
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the new movie, and I'm actually quite excited that we have two timelines to explore and enjoy in Star Trek! I really look forward to seeing the next Star Trek movie, and since the last movie takes place in a new timeline, there's no telling what could happen to Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew on the Enterprise.

But I'm also really excited that STO will be continuing with the Prime Timeline. The Star Trek universe I've known and love for all these years is going to be wide open for us to explore. We'll get to find out what happened to our favorite characters, and see how new events unfold. Vulcans are my favorite race, so I'm happy I'll get to explore Vulcan. I'm a tiny bit sad that I won't be seeing Romulus, but I'm sure the Romulans have settled on some new awesome planet which will be great to explore.

All and all I think it's an awesome, fun time to be a Star Trek fan.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Be that as it may, STO is in the accustomed Universe, with the only relevant changes are that Spock will not be in it, and the Eisn system is no more
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-13-2009, 04:59 PM
got to love the picture of the ship in the main page window of rthis link is one of the new ships
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-13-2009, 06:03 PM
This picture will be very handy on the IRC channel. I lost count how many people keep asking if vulcan is still in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
You may be curious to know how the new Star Trek movie affects Star Trek Online. Wonder no further, as we’ve put together a handy-dandy graphical timeline for your perusal. Also included is a written explanation that explains exactly how the movie and STO can coexist. Give it a look here.

Link to the news article.

Any chance of getting this posted under the Universe Menu Tab on the Front Page - http://www.startrekonline.com/ ?

For example:

• THE GAME:
    • About Star Trek Online
    • FAQ
    • STO and Star Trek XI
    • Ask Cryptic
  • UNIVERSE
    • Ship of the Line
    • Path to 2409
    • Time Line