Today, I rolled a KDF character. Add one more to the neglected side of STO!
1) First City rules. The shipyard is also something else, the Bortasque looks like something out of StarCraft.
2) That said, the tutorial is really tedious BUT not as tedious as the Federation's tutorial missions (like 'go to Mem Alpha and talk to whatshisname' or 'go to K7, then go to Mem-Alpha, then go back to K7 etc'). At least almost everything is located on the one map.
3) Birds-of-prey are really cool, but squishier than what I was expecting. I need to learn how to play them right. Or in addition, I need to fix up my boff layout and my own skills.
4) I got a kick out of the 'explore star cluster' variety of missions and the Pi Canis sorties. I haven't started the main quest line though. Incidentally, do you get dilithium for the Pi Canis sorties at a higher level? Because I didn't notice getting any dilithium rewards.
5) The lack of character customisation options is a bit disappointing. Very few hair style options, and the clothing/armour seems to be something to be desired - at least at entry-level. Do more costume options get unlocked later on or am I stuck with what I've got now?
I'll answer your last question first, if I may, not really. You do get a better way of displaying your promotion with sashes and such (better than pips any day) but we are sorely lacking in the greatcoats seen in the Great Hall and fingerless gloves (like almost every episode of TNG, DS9 and VOY with a Klingon in it) and almost every other aspect of Klingon clothing. Gorn, Nausicaans and Orions get special costume options but these are not interchangeable with the Sons of Kahless, sadly.
As for the Pi Canis sorties, I don't think you get dilithium for them at higher level (could be wrong, haven't played them in ages) but there are rare accolades up for grabs if you do the optionals. To be honest, we KDF do not need too many more ways of earning dilithium as you will discover... Marauding is excellent on its own for fulfilling my dilithium needs, as are the kill feds, cardies, romulans and borg in the omega leonis sector alone.
I found BoPs squishy too, but still love them now I've played them a bit more... love me a Raptor though.
See you in game and Q'apla!
YES, you do get Dil. at the higher levels-at rates competitive to STF payouts, at least ONCE.
Other ways to farm up your Dil. include some of the PvP and PvE mission types. "A good day to die" pays 480 if you get shot down 25 times in PvP, while "Ship Killer-Starfleet" pays the same out if you nail 10 Feddies. (running both while running the KDF Kerrat mission can easily pay out handsomely, it's worth a look) Whle "The Most Dangerous Game-Space" pays out for killing NPC ships (and ground, the easiest one to grind once you reach a level that can go to Nukara or Defera, pays out as well... kill 50 enemy NPC's and you've made payroll for the day!)
It's a little trickier to clear on the PvP missions that require queing unless you've joined a fleet with an emphasis on PvP, because it's hard to find opponents without issuing challenges to a rival fleet-the Ques are almost always just-this-side-of-dead.
but, as a Klingon, you can take pride in a few things FEddies can't touch-you had to work to get here, you're a member of the Faction of Glory and Honour, you're on the side that's been right 100% of the time regarding the threats to the Alpha Quadrant, you're a member of the faction that has the best looking women, weapons, and ships (okay, excet the Hoh'sus...), you are the David, when you achieve victories, it is truly heroic because it is NEVER easy.
Pi canis path of the warrior (all optionals on sortie A & B) = 2400 dil IIRC
Sortie Alpha 960 dil
Sortie Beta 960 dil
If you miss one of the optionals and need to repeat a sortie(to get path of the warrior), you can get the dil reward for either sortie multiple times AFAIK (certainly worked like this the last time I missed the optional on the transport attack or forgot to jam a transmission).
Not sure at which level the dil rewards unlock for the pi canis missions, but the empire defense missions pay well (1480 dil each I think) in the meantime, and if the most dangerous game mission acts as a wrapper (in the same way the explore strange new worlds wrapper functions for fed exploration) then you would probably hit the 50 ship quota if you make a point of killing the groups of freighters/fighters/birds of prey) - I'm going to try this tomorrow.
I haven't been playing long, but it is really easy to reach the dil refinement limit on the KDF side with space combat missions, and there is enough choice that you don't have to do the same missions every day, and as a bonus you lose very little travel time reaching the combat zones.
Welcome! If you're having trouble with you BoP, consider trying a Raptor - they're still escorts, but a bit tougher. The downside is, they don't have Battle Cloak.
You can grab either a Qorgh Raptor or a K't'inga Cruiser from the shipyard for free.
I wouldn't say the BoP is an escort. It's classified as a Raider for a reason. If you fly one like an escort you're likely to die very quickly. It is its own class of ship and you have to fly it knowing that. You wouldn't generally fly a cruiser like an escort would you? Same thing. Learn to use the battle cloak. Learn to love the battle cloak. It is your best defense in a BoP. Welcome to the KDF!