Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,053
# 11
09-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
But then if K-7 was sized correctly (should be about the same size as Connie) the non-trekkers would cry foul when they saw it since most people expect their starbases to be bigger than the ships they fly.
I think this statement bears repetition. As much as part of me would like to see everything sized properly, I'm also willing to admit that it would probably look strange or "wrong" if they did. The starbases in the game would be about the size of those little asteroid mining bases in-game. They wouldn't be visible from a distance, and in situations where 20 or so players are parked outside, would be lost completely in the crowd.

It bugs me most with DS9, as that's "my" Trek, but I think the recent resizing done for the Featured Episodes was a reasonable compromise.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 598
# 12
09-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Which is why the actual size of Spacedock is so contested. The scene where we see the Enterprise-D dock with spacedock is the same exact sequence as the as the Enterprise-A's dock with spacedock, just with the D pasted over the top.

Lot's of this stuff happens is Star Trek.
you are arguing about the wrong base. My former statement was about DS9. On the matter of Earth Spacedock, I just think of it as being upgraded in size to fit the current ships of the time.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 598
# 13
09-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
I think this statement bears repetition. As much as part of me would like to see everything sized properly, I'm also willing to admit that it would probably look strange or "wrong" if they did. The starbases in the game would be about the size of those little asteroid mining bases in-game. They wouldn't be visible from a distance, and in situations where 20 or so players are parked outside, would be lost completely in the crowd.

It bugs me most with DS9, as that's "my" Trek, but I think the recent resizing done for the Featured Episodes was a reasonable compromise.
It doesn't make since to have 50 ships parked within the docking pylons when on 3 ship can be dock on them at a time. It would me more realistic if DS9 were its actual size and the 50 ships parked around it. They do it with Earth Spacedock and K7, they can do it with DS9. The station wouldn't get lost in the group because of the distance you warp in from and the distance ships are parked from it. If ship are parked all over it like it is right now then, of course it would get lost.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,104
# 14
09-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
you are arguing about the wrong base. My former statement was about DS9. On the matter of Earth Spacedock, I just think of it as being upgraded in size to fit the current ships of the time.
I was arguing that the matter of scale in Star Trek is a very finicky question with no definite answer, I just gave spacedock as an example of that.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 598
# 15
09-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I was arguing that the matter of scale in Star Trek is a very finicky question with no definite answer, I just gave spacedock as an example of that.
I'm not talking about all of Star Trek. I'm talking about the Starbases in this game. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the size of the base just by looking at it in the show. I own most of the seasons of DS9 and all of the seasons of TNG and VOY, so I can look at the station over and over again and judge its size like that. All you have to do is look at the intro of the show and you will see the whole DS9 and it docked with a Nebula Class cruiser. The Nebula is about 3/4 ths size of a Galaxy, so you can easily figure out the overal size of the station. It looks crazy is big as it is in this game.. It don't look that size in other Star Trek games.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.