Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Ensign
# 1 Game is Broken
09-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Wow. Just wow.

I played long ago when the game came out, and got up to level 22 before losing interest. A friend posted some pics of space combat, and I thought, "Wow. I should check things out to see what the game's like now." And then I found out it was f2p. Cool!

So after trying unsuccessfully to link my old Cryptic ID with my new Perfect Worlds ID (that I got to sign up for the Neverwinter beta). I finally was able to get to the download link and downloaded and installed the game.

Then I had to suffer through a multiple hour patch download (during which large chunks of time the patcher download speed was nil or very, VERY slow). Finally, I got the game up and running, and logged in to my old character. Stuck in space somewhere, with no way I could find to start Warp. Argh.

I figured, well, it's been a long time since I've played, so maybe I should start off a new character to get back into things. After going through character creation, the new character is in a featureless room. With no doors. And I am now incapable of logging out. I have to exit the game to get out. Thinking there must be some small bug I came across, I exited the game and logged back in. Still in that same featureless room.

Alright. Maybe it's a problem with the Cryptic account. So I logged into my Perfect World account, made a character, and played through the intro tutorial. I got to Earth Spacedock, talked with the Admiral, and then went to the ship customization room to customize my ship.

At this point it was now 2am, and I exited and shut down the game.

This morning, when I logged in to my new character, there I was in the Ship Customization room. The door did not glow, and I couldn't exit the room. I could not beam out to my ship. I could not communicate in chat. I could not log out of my character. I tried to submit a GM request, and got the error that the request had timed out. I tried to enter a bug report but could not. I had to exit the game to leave the room.

I went back to my Cryptic account, deleted the character I made last night, and made a new one. Still, he's in that featureless room with no way out. Exit the game, log in to my level 22, and he's still stuck in space.

So I think. "Maybe I just got hit with a random bug while downloading." So I uninstalled the game, and re-downloaded it, through Steam this time.

Log in to my Perfect World account, and my character there is still stuck in the Ship Customization room. Crap.

Exit the game, log in to my Cryptic account: char 1 still stuck in a featureless room, level 22 still stuck in space.

So, back to Perfect World account, I deleted that new character and made a new one. This time I skipped the tutorial, and wound up at Starfleet. Tried to enter the office of the mission giver and could not enter the room. After a minute or so of running around, I rubber-banded back to the spot I zoned in on. Tried again and again rubber-banded back to the zone in spot.

ARGH!

I do so want to give the game a try, but it is not letting me.

Any thoughts, ideas, or commiseration with my difficulties?

Thanks.
Captain
# 2
09-28-2012, 02:17 PM
You sure your not lagging like crazy ?
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Ensign
# 3
09-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I can move around within the room(s) my characters are stuck in just fine, and they seem to fire off abilities and actions just fine. In other games I've played, when a lag spike hits I'm not able to move or use any abilities.

If it is just lag, then it's of the 3-5 minutes variety, and the game lets me move within my client but just doesn't translate it to the servers.
Captain
# 4
09-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Well, the first couple weeks I spent playing this game was similar to your experience. Once I got my system tweeked for this game it became very playable.
There's a utility in the framerate guide thread that works VERY well (for me) called 'gamebooster', video drivers MUST be current, alot of port opening in both my firewall and router, and keeping background tasks to a minimum. I even disabled my antvirus for added performance.

Surprisingly tho, the biggest improvement I saw in my system was the addition of MSdotnet 4 to my dotnet 1 ,2 ,3 ,3.5 install.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?

Last edited by lordmalak1; 09-28-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Ensign
# 5
09-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks, I will give those a try this evening and see what happens.