Ensign
I have 3 characters that I want to delete and start over. However I want to keep the names of my character, crew and ship when I recreate my character. If I delete the character do I lose my names or are they saved and I can use them again?
Career Officer
# 2
09-25-2012, 03:48 PM
If you delete them, you can use the names again.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
09-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Unlike other MMOs, you don't have to worry about name camping or another player using your desired character names in STO (or CO, for that matter). It's because your characters' names will always be appended by your global name; e.g.: CapnJack@Obsidius, where CapnJack is my character's name. If another player also decided he wanted a character named CapnJack, you could both still use that name for your characters. Character names need not be unique to every other character in the game due to this mechanism.

Because BOff and ship names are tied to a character, they can be reused by you or any other player too; IOW, they need not be unique to every other BOff or ship in the game either (just in a slightly different way than captain names).

I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
And remember to follow the rules.
Commander
# 4
09-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidiusrex View Post
Unlike other MMOs, you don't have to worry about name camping or another player using your desired character names in STO (or CO, for that matter). It's because your characters' names will always be appended by your global name; e.g.: CapnJack@Obsidius, where CapnJack is my character's name. If another player also decided he wanted a character named CapnJack, you could both still use that name for your characters. Character names need not be unique to every other character in the game due to this mechanism.

Because BOff and ship names are tied to a character, they can be reused by you or any other player too; IOW, they need not be unique to every other BOff or ship in the game either (just in a slightly different way than captain names).
True this... in fact almost all of my characters have/had a TOS Connie called Intrepid. However you can't have two characters with the same name at the same time. Nor can one character have two ships with the same name. So if you have a character names Spike you'd have to delete Spike to create a new Spike. Likewise if Spike has a ship called BeeBop you'd have to delete BeeBop before creating a new BeeBop.
ZOE: "Sir! You paid money for this?... on purpose??"

KIRK: "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?"
Captain
# 5
09-28-2012, 03:10 PM
The only things that have to remain unique are the names of all of the characters/captains on an STO account. The names of the commissioned Bridge Officers on a character. And the names of the ships that a character has. Otherwise you can use any names that is not forbidden by the word filter (and doesn't violate the EULA, of course).

So that means you can have Ensign Redshirt on your Captain A, and Ensign RedShirt on Captain B and Ensign Redshift on Captain C.