Ensign
# 51
09-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Of all the F2P games I have tried, this game gives you the most options, you can play the entire game and farm the gear you want in time. I have spent some cash on the game, but it was for uniforms I wanted, plus I wanted to keep the game alive. Developers have to eat too.
Empire Veteran
# 52
09-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbison2 View Post
Of all the F2P games I have tried, this game gives you the most options, you can play the entire game and farm the gear you want in time. I have spent some cash on the game, but it was for uniforms I wanted, plus I wanted to keep the game alive. Developers have to eat too.
A lot of it seems greedy though with their movement of from account wide unlocks to per character. Which seems to only benefit the newer players who are not putting much into multiple characters. As for those of us here long before F2P hitting this game with many characters in a sense we have multiple issues with this. A big thing is that they want us to pay in one form or another to support the game/themselves saying it will be used to hire new employees/make new content but especially in the case of the KDF there are quite a few of us who have supported them but yet our money was not good enough for them because we are not the majority.

I remember one time they claimed they have to make stuff for everyone back when they were just making art changes in the game but obviously not it appears.

Last edited by zeuxidemus001; 09-28-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 53
09-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuxidemus001 View Post
A lot of it seems greedy though with their movement of from account wide unlocks to per character. Which seems to only benefit the newer players who are not putting much into multiple characters. As for those of us here long before F2P hitting this game with many characters in a sense we have multiple issues with this. A big thing is that they want us to pay in one form or another to support the game/themselves saying it will be used to hire new employees/make new content but especially in the case of the KDF there are quite a few of us who have supported them but yet our money was not good enough for them because we are not the majority.

I remember one time they claimed they have to make stuff for everyone back when they were just making art changes in the game but obviously not it appears.
I'm also disturbed with the less account wide unlocks. Luckily the only things I've wanted were account so far but some of them I agree are nothing but money grabs.

And for the person that mentioned that EA was fine as they had a few good quarters.... That's the problem with almost everything. Short term profits over long term which is also why I find it hard to see games lasting more than a couple years. The day's of EQ and WOW decades are probably over which is sad and I truly hope I'm wrong but as long as it's about quarterly profit instead of yearly or more then the models won't probably change.
Career Officer
# 54
09-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Time = Money, so you can substitute Time for Money, or Money for Time. That's really the beauty of the Dilithium Exchange, IMO. Players who are Time Rich can buy Zen. Players who are Time Poor can buy Zen to buy Dilithium. Either type of player can use Zen to go to the store to buy ships, costumes, services, etc.

Its flippin' genius, IMO. Think EVE was the first game with anything along these lines.

As a life-time account holder who has also spent more than a few dollars in the store, I'm quite happy with the arrangement. Having all these players who can play for free/cheap means more of my friends can play regardless of money being tight or they're already subbed in another game (or two). There's loads more people for folks to play with! And, there's (hopefully) more than enough folks paying money into the game to keep the bills paid.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Lt. Commander
# 55
09-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
this post feels like an outcry from someone who wants everything but doesn't want to play for it or drop the money to do so. I understand that you feel entitled to get stuff for free, because you dropped 400 dollar once...but guess what that doesn't mean you get everything handed to you. You already get something for it each month.

so either play the game and earn EC and dilithium to buy the new stuff, or drop some more money...you can surely hit the 1000 dollar watermark and even more.
Just be more selective in the things you want to get in the game and you'll be fine. The Lockbox stuff is just not meant for everybody to have, deal with it.
Oh so it's "just" $400? Do you realise how much money that is?!?! You could buy years of subscription time with that money, why do you think he is angry? Got every right to be!

No such thing as double dip in gaming these days, just quadruple times ten dip. Whole industry can go blow itself.
Commander
# 56
09-29-2012, 06:39 AM
It's marketting-speech.

Marketting creatures do not think like us humans. They are undoubtedly intelligent, but nonetheless unable to grasp the meaning of "honesty". It's like a physiological limitation.
As a result, "p2w" becomes "f2p".
Captain
# 57
09-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikev View Post
No such thing as double dip in gaming these days, just quadruple times ten dip. Whole industry can go blow itself.
You think it's just happening in this industry? You think Apple didn't have the iPhone 6 half-way through development even before they introduced the 5 this month?
Lt. Commander
# 58
09-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Some of you people are just silly(to put it nicely), and here is why:

1) You can play every single mission in the game for free.

2) There are some cool things in the c-store, but you dont actually need any of them

3) You can actually get the things in the c-store for FREE by trading dilithium.

You can get more FREE to play than that. And as far as "P2W" goes, what exactly are you "winning"? We all get the same reward for the missions we play, so having a ship with slightly better stats isnt going to get you anything better than what someone else gets.
Lieutenant
# 59
09-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikev View Post
This is one for the entire industry.

Surely the idea is you play for free but as you use the game, you pay money? Top-up with extras and so on.

On my old phone this is called Pay As You Go not Free to Call.

Well if you look many games are going F2P they make More money Doing it this way then with a Monthly sub.
Career Officer
# 60 F2P scam
09-29-2012, 11:24 AM
It is just that. You get nothing for Free and STO is one the wort about mico billing for every little thing.
"Of course you know, this means war!" Bugs Bunny