Lt. Commander
# 91
06-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Next Tuesday, June 16, at 3:30 p.m. Pacific time (we’re GMT -7 right now), we’ll be holding a developer’s chat in the official Star Trek Online IRC chat!

This chat’s focus will be on in-game movement, so be ready to submit your questions to the team. The chat is scheduled to last 30 minutes. If you can’t make it due to time constraints, we’ll be posting a transcript of the chat on the forums.

If you’d like to join us, point your IRC program of choice toward #STO on gamesurge.net, or click right here for a Flash client. And if you can’t make it, just reply with your question in this post’s comment thread. We’ll be selecting questions from the thread to put to the developers.

Link to the news article.

E: Just a reminder, folks: We'll be giving priority to questions about in-game movement. Like, getting from point A to point B, maneuvering, and so on. Other questions likely won't be answered in this chat due to time constraints.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. eA
Lt. Commander
# 92
06-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Dear Cryptic Studios,

First, thank you very much for letting us ask you questions like this… I’m pretty sure I speak for all of us when I say that I appreciate the opportunity to go straight to the source and ask the developers questions about a game that I’m very much looking forward to.

Anyway, I do have some movement based questions for you:
1. The Prometheus-class starship is without a doubt a fan favorite… its almost guaranteed to be in STO, as there would surely be riots in the forums if it were not. This begs the question, how will maneuvers like the Multi-Vector Assault Mode be handled? After all, even the common Galaxy and Sovereign-class starships are capable of saucer separation, so I would assume that this would be something we’d be seeing on a somewhat regular basis. So, how would our broken down ships be handled? Would each section be under our control, or would it be somehow automatic?
2. Super-maneuverable starships like the Defiant or Nova-class… how will they be handled? In canon (books, games, TV shows), ships like the Defiant have been noted (and shown) to be as ‘nimble as fighters’. Will that still be the case in STO? Will ships of the Defiant-class still remain competitive against, say, Negh'Vars and the like, because they can pull a crazy series of barrel rolls, sharp dives, twists, and hull-sheering turns?
3. All Starfleet vessels carry auxiliary craft of some sort… generally shuttles. There are, however, ships that carry fighters. One thing that I am rather looking forward to is utilizing the Akira’s fly-through hanger deck and compliment of 40 fighters. Are there plans to allow players to utilize auxiliary craft in combat? If so, how will they be maneuvered? Will they be put into squadrons, like in the Homeworld RTS series perhaps? The player can simply click on a target and the selected squads will automatically attack the enemy properly, be it a capital ship or other small craft?
4. Some starships, most notably those of the Intrepid and Nova-classes, are able to land on the surface of a planet. Will you be able to move in-system with your ship and land on a planet? If so, will your ship actually be on the planet with you? Will you perhaps be able to offer yourself tactical support if you are within line of sight? It would be an effortless way to take out the few thousand Borg drones chasing your away team back to your ship, don’t you think?
5. What kind of movement options do you have in-system? Can you, say, try to hide yourself in the magnetic pole of a planet or moon? Can you try to reconfigure your shields, enter a star’s corona, punch it into warp, and wipe out your pursuers with a burst of superheated solar matter? Ok, so that’s a lot to ask… what about simply getting into a star, planet, or other system phenomena?
6. Now here is a good one… will it be possible to slingshot your ship ‘round a star for some back-in-time mission action? Can you travel through The Mirror, Darkly? Please?

I know these are complex questions, and that some may not stay within the realm of this questioning session. Still, I hope they are questions you are able to answer, or perhaps they might give you a new idea or angle. Either way, thanks for listening to us!

- Merritt ‘whistler’ Maya
Lt. Commander
# 93
06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Just a reminder, folks: We'll be giving priority to questions about in-game movement. Like, getting from point A to point B, maneuvering and so on. Other questions likely won't be answered in this chat due to time constraints.
QFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
This is why I hate the Informational Layout of the main page. This is answered in the ASKCRYPTIC 10-27-2008 - but you would never know if you did not read through them - and re-read through them to refresh our memories. :

Here are some other comments about 'Movement' that has been published:
SHIP HANDLING/FLIGHT:

JOYSTICKS/FLIGHT STICKS:

SPACE and MAP:

COLLISION DETECTION:

:: pant, pant pant ::
Please pay attention to Rekhan and Loekii's posts (click on the arrows to the quotes). A lot of the questions on here have been answered or aren't on topic. The chat will only be 30 mins long and is only on movement.

My questions:
1) Can you describe the degrees of freedom and independent movement posibilities?
The easiest way to do this may just give us a list of the possible movements that can be mapped to a key. We don't need the actual keys they are mapped to, just a list and description of what the movements do, and what different combinations can do if it isn't obvious...

2) If you only have one 'forward' button, how will you handle fractions of impulse (like 1/2). Is this involved with the power distribution system, or is there another mechanic?

3) How will you handle the lack of drag in a space environment? Including exploding ships, do they stop on exploding, or does the explosion continue to travel (relative to other points)?

4) Can you chose to where to warp to within a system/key point?

5) How will impulse speeds be handled? It would take hours to travel across our own solar system at impulse. That's lame for a game so will we be able to warp within systems or will impulse be sped up? If impulse is sped up, how will that work with objects that are relatively tiny compared to space such as planets and asteroids? If we are able to only take a few minutes to travel from planet to planet on impulse then combat speeds around planets would be rather odd. Will planets just be 'squished together' closer than they really are just like asteroid fields are done in fictional universe to make it easy to travel to them at impulse? Ok, i'm rambling

6) Will things like gravity wells and other environmental conditions affect movement speeds and such? I ask this about the ground too (I think someone asked this earlier), but will we have low gravity environments were we'll be able to jump higher and things of that nature?

May I also suggest that you just provide a general overview of movement before you respond to specific questions. Because we are submitting our questions before hand, it's hard to ask follow up questiosn (as you can see, i started to ramble). It would be nice if you started off by giving an in-depth summary of the different types of movement and maps (and pictures can be worth a thousands words )
Lt. Commander
# 94
06-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Dang I work 2-4 T.T
Lt. Commander
# 95
06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Next Tuesday, June 16, at 3:30 p.m. Pacific time (we’re GMT -7 right now), we’ll be holding a developer’s chat in the official Star Trek Online IRC chat!

This chat’s focus will be on in-game movement, so be ready to submit your questions to the team. The chat is scheduled to last 30 minutes. If you can’t make it due to time constraints, we’ll be posting a transcript of the chat on the forums.

If you’d like to join us, point your IRC program of choice toward #STO on gamesurge.net, or click right here for a Flash client. And if you can’t make it, just reply with your question in this post’s comment thread. We’ll be selecting questions from the thread to put to the developers.

Link to the news article.

E: Just a reminder, folks: We'll be giving priority to questions about in-game movement. Like, getting from point A to point B, maneuvering, and so on. Other questions likely won't be answered in this chat due to time constraints.
In hand-to-hand combat, will the Federation have the use of the Fed. KATANA (as used by Hikaru Sulu in the new Trek film) and the Fed. KaBar to counter the Klingon Bat'leth, and will there be other hand-to-hand weapons, such as the Vulcan Monk's Spade shaped polearm?

Also, any possible stealth movements, such as crouched walking, ala Splinter Cell, et al?

Thanks, much
Lt. Commander
# 96 Question about movement in STO
06-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Im very curious if I will be able to move my character on a planets surface by jumping up onto stairs, ladders, short platforms and porches?

The reason I ask is in Starwars Galaxies jumping is FUTILE! There are ramps and stairs in game but if you dont line your character up correctly to the ramp leading to the porch you cant even enter your own house.
You cant even jump up onto the porch, you must run up the ramp thats to the side of the porch.

I enjoyed climbing and jumping onto ledges, spires, walls, rooftops, buildings and even trees in EQ1, EQII and DDO.
Thanks kindly for your answer,
David Starr

Resistance may be futile but jumping should not be.
Lt. Commander
# 97
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't know if someone asked this question. I didn't read the whole thread. I wanted to know if we could warp between systems cloaked. If so does it slow our overall top speed.
Lt. Commander
# 98
06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgoodfel View Post
I don't know if someone asked this question. I didn't read the whole thread. I wanted to know if we could warp between systems cloaked. If so does it slow our overall top speed.
If this isn't answered in the dev chat, from the write up on the Raptor class in the Ship line article:
"An improved cloaking device allows it to travel at warp six or higher without radiating a subspace variance detectable by Federation sensors and particle dampeners limit the Raptor's emissions of tetryon particles"
- http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/raptor_class

This makes it pretty clear that we will be able to be cloaked at warp
Lt. Commander
# 99
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
will the gorund combat be like a shooter in the sence that it is fast paced and if so is there a cover system? and how much freedom can we have to move about when fighting, you know defined pathes invisable walls etc
Lt. Commander
# 100
06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
In Game Movement Topic

Number 1 Question: Well it seem more about tactic/manuever than movement but my question is this
Will the Picard Manuever be possible?
Explanation: It involved a micro warp jump and exploit the time lag between the warping ship and the target ship with non-Faster Than Light (non-FTL) sensors. Once this manuever is executed, two images of the ship that warped appear at once, the older image due to the time lag and the new one after the micro jump therefore confusing the target ship.

Number 2 Question: Will we see any combat action at warp flight? And if so, what can we expect out of a warp flight battle like a torpedo volley pass at warp speed on a nonwarping target or a torpedo exchange between two warping ships?
Closed Thread