Ensign
# 1 Luna Class in general...
09-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Hey all Sean here the designer of the Luna Class/Titan. I understand the pressures the devs here have on their plates with the ships. I just have never been happy with the way they represented the Luna in the game. I can handle the little details, but what really really ticks me off is the sensor pod and it's deflector that is installed on it.

The sensor pod does not have a deflector dish on never did never wanted.
As for other details they are minor, and I was going to get capt Logan all the detailed
images of the Luna for rework before he left. Since then I have tried contacting people at cryptic to get them the images but no one has.

As most of you know I also developed a Mirror Universe version of the Titan a while back, and when I saw what they were calling a Mirror Luna for the game I had really got ticked off. I designed a way better version that they could of used all they need to do is ask and I would of been more than happy to let them have it.

I have always been open to letting more of my design go into the game if they wanted.

Oh well off my soap box. Thanks for all of your support.

Here are some Links to my I.S.S. Titan and other Mirror Universe Creations Feel free to take a look.

http://stourangeau.deviantart.com/#/d3116pd
Mirror Universe Art - http://stourangeau.deviantart.com/gallery/445971
Commissions - http://stourangeau.deviantart.com/gallery/7624222
Titan Images - http://stourangeau.deviantart.com/gallery/445973

And the Titan Shipyards - http://hammerheadgraphics.iwarp.com/TitanShipyards/

Enjoy,

Sean
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-30-2012, 05:27 PM
I agree completely, i second that notion. Well, before the departure of Adam he was working on several ships that needed overhaul but now we are no longer see the need to fix these models.
Career Officer
# 3
09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
The Luna class starship is a beaty. Thank you for designing the Titan, Sean!

Also, the Imperial Starfleet ships in-game are, cosmetically, the same ships as their regular counterparts, just with an "I.S.S." and yellow markings. If Cryptic would adopt your Mirror Luna, it would stand out with its special pod and red markings. Not to say that's a bad thing, though. And it could provide additional options.
Leipzig University, 1409-2409
Ensign
# 4
09-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woerligen View Post
The Luna class starship is a beaty. Thank you for designing the Titan, Sean!

Also, the Imperial Starfleet ships in-game are, cosmetically, the same ships as their regular counterparts, just with an "I.S.S." and yellow markings. If Cryptic would adopt your Mirror Luna, it would stand out with its special pod and red markings. Not to say that's a bad thing, though. And it could provide additional options.
Thanks,

With my version of the ISS Titan you would also get a multi vector mode which the U.S.S. does not have and the Sensor Pod was replaced with two weapons pods. She has a lot more teeth so to speak than the USS version.

I know no budget or time for this but that is what you would of had with my design.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
09-30-2012, 06:49 PM
They aren't going to spend the money and development time in designing a WHOLE NEW model for a mirror Luna when they can just do what they've done w/ every other mirror ship in game and simply retexture the old one. The legal hassle between CBS & PWE to get the new model in game alone wouldn't be worth it. Then there's the ripple effect, because if the Luna gets a new model for it's mirror counterpart, people will want a new model of all the other mirror ships.
Captain
# 6
09-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilv View Post
They aren't going to spend the money and development time in designing a WHOLE NEW model for a mirror Luna when they can just do what they've done w/ every other mirror ship in game and simply retexture the old one. The legal hassle between CBS & PWE to get the new model in game alone wouldn't be worth it. Then there's the ripple effect, because if the Luna gets a new model for it's mirror counterpart, people will want a new model of all the other mirror ships.
So you're saying that, additional work for Cryptic is a BAD thing? As is, they take the "easy way out" more often than not.

Honestly, as the designer of the Luna Class, I hope Sean Tourangeau takes legal action against Cryptic/PW for bastardizing his designs.

Last edited by meurik; 09-30-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
09-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
So you're saying that, additional work for Cryptic is a BAD thing? As is, they take the "easy way out" more often than not.

Honestly, as the designer of the Luna Class, I hope Sean Tourangeau takes legal action against Cryptic/PW for bastardizing his designs.
Would I rather they spend their time & money developing content for the KDF as opposed to making a new Luna? Yes! Would I rather they spend time & money on FES instead of working on a new Luna? YES! Would I rather they spend time & money developing playable Romulans instead of making a new Luna? Yes!

As for "legal action" I doubt he can do anything about it. If his arrangement w/ cryptic is anything like Adam Ihle's was for the Enterprise E then cryptic holds the right to tweak the design for the game if they want. Of course that's just basing it on Adam's agreement, I have no clue what Sean's agreement w/ cryptic actually is.

Last edited by wilv; 09-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Captain
# 8
09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilv View Post
Would I rather they spend their time & money developing content for the KDF as opposed to making a new Luna? Yes! Would I rather they spend time & money on FES instead of working on a new Luna? YES! Would I rather they spend time & money developing playable Romulans instead of making a new Luna? Yes!
You're assuming that the SAME PEOPLE do all those things. If there is any rationale to how they operate, you have certain staff doing nothing but new Art Assets (such as Ships), Writers, Map Designers etc.

Thing is, Cryptic doesn't WANT to touch up the older ships, make them look better. They figure, it's better to gouge the players for more money via quick cash-grab lockboxes.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
09-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Quote:
You're assuming that the SAME PEOPLE do all those things. If there is any rationale to how they operate, you have certain staff doing nothing but new Art Assets (such as Ships), Writers, Map Designers etc.

Thing is, Cryptic doesn't WANT to touch up the older ships, make them look better. They figure, it's better to gouge the players for more money via quick cash-grab lockboxes.
There is a ship team that works on ships, yes. However, Klingons could stand to get more ships, FEs sometimes need new ships, and if Romulans ever become playable they too will need more ships. Add to that the long list of ships many people would rather have as opposed to spending time retouching the Luna or making a new model for it's mirror version. I for one think after almost 3 years we've waited long enough for an Ambassador class and would rather see that.
Captain
# 10
09-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Quote:

No. What he's saying is that it's not worth the man-hours to make perfect. The ship's not that important to the game.

I am going to assume that Sean sold his rights to the Luna to CBS/Paramount just as Adam did with the Odyssey. As such he has zero grounds to sue Cryptic. In fact, if CBS/Paramount wanted to be jerks they could sue Sean for having images of the Luna on his website - as it's their IP. Luckily CBS is quite lenient about ships on fan-sites.