Lt. Commander
# 61
06-14-2009, 02:14 PM
cool , while you guy's are finding new world's ..I will be finding you ....muhahahaa.....now why dosent my fire button work.....oh well cloak out ..and find someone else to shoot
Lt. Commander
# 62
06-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Hmmm...I shall look forward to the beta test results on the proto-matter part of the code. If I remember, the alpha test went a bit wonky :p
Lt. Commander
# 63
06-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Great concept. Still only as creative as what they build into it. I really hope it isn't like COH or COV where you attack the same wharehouse with only 2 floor plans..... Still they could alter some of the details if they apply date on the system the planet is in (binary, Red stat, Yellow star, etc.)
Lt. Commander
# 64
06-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I still don't understand how Black Hole = Time Travel To Alternate Time Line...But like how Janeway says, "When it comes to time travel, just don't think about it." But I can't wait till the game is out, it's going to be aweeesome!
Lt. Commander
# 65
06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
What I'm curious about is the "lifespan" of the worlds.

So if I set a heading and warp for an hour or so and am the first to discover a newly generated planet. Is it now permanent? Can I give co-ordinates to my fleet-mates with instructions to go to the planet, check out the waterfall, abandoned outpost etc etc etc.

Once I leave the world, can I go back and see the same things over and over? Or will my presence be erased once I leave the system.

Can't wait for Beta to find out.
Lt. Commander
# 66
06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
This is how I think it probably will work, being familiar with their instancing in City of Heroes and having an idea of what I think they may be trying to accomplish here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalsgt View Post
What I'm curious about is the "lifespan" of the worlds.

So if I set a heading and warp for an hour or so and am the first to discover a newly generated planet. Is it now permanent?
To you, yes, it's permanent, but as an instance. Once you warp or impulse away from the planet, the instance is closed and the data about the instance is stored to your character under some planet name. When you come back and re-enter the instance, the instance information is re-loaded and the planet re-appears as you last saw it.

Can I give co-ordinates to my fleet-mates with instructions to go to the planet, check out the waterfall, abandoned outpost etc etc etc.
I believe they said that you would be able to share the coordinates with your friends so they may visit, either with you or on their own.

Once I leave the world, can I go back and see the same things over and over? Or will my presence be erased once I leave the system.
The fact that you were there should be saved to the instance file. That is to say, if there's a quest there and you complete it, you shouldn't come back to discover the quest is available again as though it was never done. Whether or not we can witness or implement other changes (destructive, constructive, whatever) and whether those changes will save is anyone's guess. At a minimum, there may be resources there which may have a finite quantity that you can mine, or the inhabitants may mine the resource then trade it to you on your next visit for Cold Pressed Latinum or something.

Can't wait for Beta to find out.
Me either.
I hope they make the Genesis worlds extremely robust and realistic, complete with day/night cycles, weather, critters, the ability to add structures or place colonists on the world. Everything else about STO will be pretty standard MMO fare-- space combat, ground combat, quests to various permanent world and other galactic locations, episodic or chain quest content, character and ship advancement and customization features, and so forth. If there's one feature where STO can really shine, it's to make the Genesis feature so rich and innovative that it captures major awards and really shocks the MMO community for its cleverness. With some thoughtful work and smart randomization protocols, this could easily be the best new feature to hit an MMO in recent years. Or at least, of any that I've played.
Lt. Commander
# 67
06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Sounds like something like this system could evolve into the Holodeck system later on.
Lt. Commander
# 68
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
STO has so so so so so so much potential.

Personally, the ultimate additions to STO for me is ship interiors and planets.

I want to be able to go everywhere on my ship, ever deck, every room. That would be wonderful and it would be awesome for Role Players. I'd also love to be able to choose what the inside of my ship looks like, for example... I may want an Akira class ship, or an Olympic, but I want to have TNG's Enterprise D Observation Lounge, Voyager's Bridge and Ready Room as well as Engineering and Sickbay and the Enterprise D's Stellar Cartography lol. Also Voyager's corridors and the Enterprise E's doors. Hehe...

So much potential, STO should go far and exist forever (If it's done right and brilliantly)
Lt. Commander
# 69
06-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebort5050 View Post
STO has so so so so so so much potential.

Personally, the ultimate additions to STO for me is ship interiors and planets.

I want to be able to go everywhere on my ship, ever deck, every room. That would be wonderful and it would be awesome for Role Players. I'd also love to be able to choose what the inside of my ship looks like, for example... I may want an Akira class ship, or an Olympic, but I want to have TNG's Enterprise D Observation Lounge, Voyager's Bridge and Ready Room as well as Engineering and Sickbay and the Enterprise D's Stellar Cartography lol. Also Voyager's corridors and the Enterprise E's doors. Hehe...

So much potential, STO should go far and exist forever (If it's done right and brilliantly)
If you customize it to that extent, it wouldn't exactly be an akira anymore would it?
Lt. Commander
# 70
06-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metl View Post
If you customize it to that extent, it wouldn't exactly be an akira anymore would it?
All he would have to do Is put on a customizable bumper sticker that reads THIS R AN AKIRA N00BS!!!!11
And it shall be an akira! lol