Career Officer
# 21
10-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Perfect solution!!!!!!

It couldn't get any better.

DEVS! PLEASE DO THIS!.. (like caps is going to make them listen lol)

Bravo OP!
Career Officer
# 22
10-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
The game already has a system to help small fleets grow their base faster:

The fleet recruitment forum.
Uh....... NO.

We do not all want random people ruining our fleets just for the hope that they will contribute.

The OP's idea is very valid, and IMO this is an insult to disregard it so easily.
Career Officer
# 23
10-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I think there's some merit to the suggestion of new projects with more flexible requirements.

It's hard for us to come up with 30 duty officers sometimes, let alone 30 of one type. Those assignments are really difficult for us to get done.

Fleet marks have gotten much easier since they introduced Bonus fleet marks and made them more available. But Dilithium seems to be getting harder to come by as time goes on.

I think 60 hours is too long, but 40 hours to complete seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me, maybe for a third less requirements to fill?

I also wouldn't mind seeing mini-projects that only give out 250 XP instead of 500 or 1000.
Bravo Sir! I salute your support
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I approve the original poster's message!
Career Officer
# 25
10-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinru821 View Post
We do not all want random people ruining our fleets just for the hope that they will contribute.
That's why you don't give people the keys to the city the day they join, and why you have application processes and vet them.
Captain
# 26
10-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
That's why you don't give people the keys to the city the day they join, and why you have application processes and vet them.
Let me get this strait,

You're telling us that the only way a small fleet can compete with a large fleet is to become a large fleet?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lieutenant
# 27
10-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Let me get this strait,

You're telling us that the only way a small fleet can compete with a large fleet is to become a large fleet?
No, that's not what he said it all. Did you read the reply he quoted?

People were hyperbolizing that in order to get a large fleet, and hence advance their starbase more quickly, they'll be forced to just spam invites to random people who will eventually destroy their fleet.

All the dude you replied to said was do your homework on someone before you spam them with fleet invites.
Captain
# 28
10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavadus View Post
No, that's not what he said it all. Did you read the reply he quoted?

People were hyperbolizing that in order to get a large fleet, and hence advance their starbase more quickly, they'll be forced to just spam invites to random people who will eventually destroy their fleet.

All the dude you replied to said was do your homework on someone before you spam them with fleet invites.
But that's not what I'm asking for. Not everyone wants a large fleet, they certainly shouldn't need one either. That solves nothing.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 29
10-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
But that's not what I'm asking for. Not everyone wants a large fleet, they certainly shouldn't need one either. That solves nothing.
Agreed. There's already two monetization elements intrinsic with fleets anyway (Dilithium and Fleet Modules), so making the system more accessible will be a win/win for Cryptic. The more achievable these projects seem (even if the time:reward is basically the same as the big ones), the more likely people are to not be intimidated by them and DO THEM.

Sort of like paying off debt.
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/...-approach.aspx

Look at it emotionally, not logically. If expansion is perceived as a requirement, that'll be a turnoff. And, honestly, it would work out better for Cryptic if there's a lot of small, but active fleets as there will be a duplication of work. If there's only large fleets, there will be far fewer but more utilized resources, thus less sales opportunities IMO.

I'll go out on a limb and say that small to medium size fleets are more the backbone of the game than the big ones. Same with guilds/clans in other games. And, really, if a fleet splits (due to need, drama, etc), starting over won't be as ugly.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 30
10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
As the head of a small fleet of 10 members (at present), I wholeheartedly support the OP's proposal.

Regards.