Captain
Mapolis tell us, regarding the NW Foundry rewards system:
Quote:
rewards are based off of the average completion time of the quest
He adds:

Quote:
The average is calculated and constantly adjusted from the playtimes recorded from every player who goes through that quest, so simply going AFK wouldn?t necessarily increase your reward. It would take a coordinated effort from many separate accounts to artificially raise the average, and as soon as it starts to be exploited, the average will adjust accordingly and fix itself.
Round-up source

So my question is this: How will grinders affect the mission's rewards?

Ex: My "Return to Terra Nova" takes about an hour to play, when reading everything. But it takes about 10 minutes if I just hit F and run from place to place.

If 50% of my players are grinding it as fast as possible, and 50% are reading it, then the average playtime would be like 25 minutes, right?

The folks who take the time to really play get rewards that are diminished by the folks who don't take the time to play. Meanwhile the grinders who spent 10 minutes pressing F get rewarded with a 25 minute reward.

And, we don't have a percentage of idlers to offset the effect of the grinders. Isn't this a problem with the system?

The grinders get rewarded, and the careful players get punished.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
10-02-2012, 11:56 AM
If I understand it correctly, those grinders, by the very fact that they are speed-playing, will be decreasing the quality of the reward. Yes, they'll get it quicker, but it will be less.

If the rewards end up being good enough, they will be an incentive for people to take their time playing Foundry missions so they get the max possible reward, rather than the quickest possible. I imagine there will be subsets of players that take both approaches no matter what happens.

I think there's going to be flaws with every system, but so far I would say that what's being described for NW is going to be better than the Foundry wrapper we have now. Not perfect, mind you, but a step in the right direction.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 3
10-02-2012, 12:06 PM
What a stupid idea, a slow reader gets better rewards. Sounds like a mission to avaoid.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG

Last edited by lordmalak1; 10-02-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Rihannsu
# 4
10-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
If I understand it correctly, those grinders, by the very fact that they are speed-playing, will be decreasing the quality of the reward. Yes, they'll get it quicker, but it will be less.

If the rewards end up being good enough, they will be an incentive for people to take their time playing Foundry missions so they get the max possible reward, rather than the quickest possible. I imagine there will be subsets of players that take both approaches no matter what happens.

I think there's going to be flaws with every system, but so far I would say that what's being described for NW is going to be better than the Foundry wrapper we have now. Not perfect, mind you, but a step in the right direction.
I was hoping that part of it would be enemy kill counts.

But yeah being able to AFK to up mission rewards is lame.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 5
10-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Yes, they're decreasing it for everyone, but they'll be getting a reward that is better then their average playtime.
Captain
# 6
10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post

But yeah being able to AFK to up mission rewards is lame.
Well as Mapolis says, there would have to be a ton of folks afking to see the reward increase. With this system a grinder and an afker get the exact same reward, based on the average play-time.
Career Officer
# 7
10-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I also wonder how they will track how long a mission takes.

Is it while you are in the custom maps? What if a majority of the mission takes place in ESD?
Rihannsu
# 8
10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Mapolis tell us, regarding the NW Foundry rewards system:

He adds:

Round-up source

So my question is this: How will grinders affect the mission's rewards?

Ex: My "Return to Terra Nova" takes about an hour to play, when reading everything. But it takes about 10 minutes if I just hit F and run from place to place.

If 50% of my players are grinding it as fast as possible, and 50% are reading it, then the average playtime would be like 25 minutes, right?

The folks who take the time to really play get rewards that are diminished by the folks who don't take the time to play. Meanwhile the grinders who spent 10 minutes pressing F get rewarded with a 25 minute reward.

And, we don't have a percentage of idlers to offset the effect of the grinders. Isn't this a problem with the system?

The grinders get rewarded, and the careful players get punished.

on the other hand, this discourages the so called "quickie missions" and encourages people to play the longer missions for the better rewards.
Rihannsu
# 9
10-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Well as Mapolis says, there would have to be a ton of folks afking to see the reward increase. With this system a grinder and an afker get the exact same reward, based on the average play-time.
A fleet mission with a "classified" starting location could work. Only peeps in the fleet know how to start the mission, and they know to AFK after starting it. Actually..... peeps could make missions labeled AFK just for this purpose and make them public....

This is why I like the idea of addig enemy kills to the calculation.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 10
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
But what if you want to play a non-combat mission