Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 121
# 1 Charged Particle Burst Problem
10-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Looks like they stealth patched it so that this skill benefits from Flow Capacitors instead of Particle Generator. Care to explain this devs?
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,101
# 2
10-03-2012, 01:15 AM
It's an AOE Shield Drain. Having it affected by Flow Capacitors is consistent with other Shield Drain abilities.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 3
10-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
It's an AOE Shield Drain. Having it affected by Flow Capacitors is consistent with other Shield Drain abilities.
This makes perfect sense^^

Do you have any thoughts regarding CPB's utter uselessness? In PvP, players are resisting it into oblivion, and in PvE the NPCs have ridiculously high shield capacity.

In PvE it has always been crap, but in pvp it used to be useful because it was a way to get around silly high shield-damage-resists. Now it has a equally silly-high resist of it's own to compete with, and is rendered worthless...
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,429
# 4
10-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
It's an AOE Shield Drain. Having it affected by Flow Capacitors is consistent with other Shield Drain abilities.
maybe flow cap and particle should buff it, doubling the benefit from skill points it gets might just make it worth using again.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 271
# 5
10-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Should Buff what?
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,429
# 6
10-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpenfold View Post
Should Buff what?
the ability in the thread title
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 121
# 7
10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Well, you have to admit that Starship Particle Generator did in fact boost CPB before. Does this mean I should respec? Should I discard my four purple Mk XII Particle Generator consoles?

Although it certainly does fit within the parameters of flow capacitor's definition, it also fits into the definition of particle generator. If I recall correctly, it stated that it enhances your exotic particle damage. And isn't that what CPB is doing? Throwing out "exotic" particles to damage enemy shields.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,972
# 8
10-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassemsto View Post
This makes perfect sense^^

Do you have any thoughts regarding CPB's utter uselessness? In PvP, players are resisting it into oblivion, and in PvE the NPCs have ridiculously high shield capacity.
[...]
Both are not really an issue, in my experience. Sure, it is no Iwin button, but it does decent shield damage, and will totally prepare the enemy fighters for the next torp spread, for example. And it does that shield damage to all facings and to all enemies in a 5 km sphere, costing them shield heals across the board.

CPB is not useless, at least not at full aux with 220+ in Flow Caps. If you buff it, it might get OP, actually.

Last edited by sophlogimo; 10-04-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,972
# 9
10-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savingj View Post
[...]
Although it certainly does fit within the parameters of flow capacitor's definition, it also fits into the definition of particle generator. If I recall correctly, it stated that it enhances your exotic particle damage. And isn't that what CPB is doing? Throwing out "exotic" particles to damage enemy shields.
But it isn't damage. It is shield drain.

Isn't it that Flow Caps modifies the Shield Drain, while Particle Gens modifies the cloak disable duration?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 10
10-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Both are not really an issue, in my experience. Sure, it is no Iwin button, but it does decent shield damage, and will totally prepare the enemy fighters for the next torp spread, for example. And it does that shield damage to all facings and to all enemies in a 5 km sphere, costing them shield heals across the board.

CPB is not useless, at least not at full aux with 220+ in Flow Caps. If you buff it, it might get OP, actually.
OP? against whom?

CPB buffed to the maximum at every expense, can do about 6k shield damage. Note, this is a heavy investment, uses your only Cmdr slot, and has a loong CD.

Say you want to kill a borg cube. What is the shield cap of a borg cube? about 30-40k. It also regens shields at an alarming rate, meaning the regen alone is almost enough to rebuild 6k shields before your CPB CD is over.

Say you want to kill a player. Say a non-sci ship with 13k shields "only". He also has 6 points in resistance = about 75% resist. That means you drain 1.5k off his shields.

How can this be considered OP? No, wait, how can it be considered even useful?

CPB may be useful for de-shielding the very smallest of pets. Even a BoP, Advanced Runabout and Borg Probes have more shields than CPB can take out. Now how in the depths of space can it be considered OP to build your whole ship around the ability to strip the shields from the smallest entities in game?

or... is this just another of your attempts to say the opposite of the obvious to create anger and strife in the forum and ultimately have the thread closed? (I do not use the T word, as that will only lead to me being punished)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 AM.