Lieutenant
# 1 Grav Well Question
09-28-2012, 07:24 AM
A quick question about grav well...

I know Grav Well radius is increased by 'Graviton Generators' skill...

But does its pull strength also increase? ie making harder to throttle away?
Captain
# 2
10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Not sure. I maxed out my skill points on that one, then on top of that added 3 sci consoles boosting me about an extra +80 skill points total, and using Grav Well 3 (fired with high aux levels), it still barely slows down most borg probes or spheres... I have to eject warp plasma on top of it to get any real damage.

From what I've heard they totally nerfed sci skills, including grav well, before I ever rolled a sci character, so I don't know what it was like in the good old days, I just know NOW it's still pretty weak.
Career Officer
# 3
10-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
... From what I've heard they totally nerfed sci skills, including grav well, before I ever rolled a sci character, so I don't know what it was like in the good old days, I just know NOW it's still pretty weak.
If you really want to see what 'Gravity Well' can do, have 2 Science Players with 'Gravity Well 3' fire it at the same target at the same time... A place with lots of enemy ships flying around close together, (such as the Fed Mirror Event) is a good place to try this...
Commander
# 4
10-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthe25 View Post
A quick question about grav well...

I know Grav Well radius is increased by 'Graviton Generators' skill...

But does its pull strength also increase? ie making harder to throttle away?
Nope, just increases radious
Captain
# 5
10-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Graviton Generator doesn't help Grav Wells, though. Particle Generators do.

Graviton Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starsh...ton_Generators

Help tractor beams or repulsors, among other things.

Particle Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starsh...icle_Generator

help damage to grav well, warp plasma, aceton assimilators, isometric, tykens rift, theta vent, and feedback pulse as well as a couple others. I think the repulsors on that link is a mistake.

So, when I started my KDF sci what I did was max out the particle generator, but I knew what skills I would focus on from the start (TR, VM, GW, Iso, Magnetometric pulse, etc) and they all benefitted from particle. So I didn't spec any points into Graviton.

Should I not have done that? Or what?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Then why the hell do you need 6 points in Graviton Generators to get GW3 if it does nothing for it?
Captain
# 7
10-06-2012, 01:19 AM
that's stupid as heck. I think they mixed them up, personally. So many bugs/oversights in this game. Which sucks because I spec out for GW3 my entire build, but can't train it when all is said and done!
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
10-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
Graviton Generator doesn't help Grav Wells, though. Particle Generators do.

Graviton Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starsh...ton_Generators

Help tractor beams or repulsors, among other things.
Your link to the wiki says it helps Gravity Well. What do you base your assertion on?
Captain
# 9
10-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Reading past discussions, talking to people in-game, as well as thoroughly reviewing everything I could before starting my sci build. I put a lot of research into it because my first builds were "see what points I want as I go" and I knew to get the most out of the weak sci build I'd need to be very specific.

EDIT: Also look at it in-game. Particle Generators has a comprehensive list. Graviton just has 3. 2 of them tractor beams, and photonic shockwave. None of which were important to my builds.

Last edited by rodentmaster; 10-06-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Captain
# 10
10-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
Your link to the wiki says it helps Gravity Well. What do you base your assertion on?
Player Testing --> Link

(Graviton increases GW's pull, but Particle increases its damage)

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]