Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 438
# 31
10-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyandfrosty View Post
meh. you were playin against a pugmade You also had the luxury of 2 more sci ships down range.

Isn't SNBs a buck 30?


Still it's better to roll it in a sci ship in a full on premade fight. Just ask Jorf
Well we weren't really a premade layout. Anymore it's whoever the first five ppl that can x up fast enough is on the team (which is a kind of nice problem to have...lol). We did have three sci and two tac which is pretty much our standard layout anymore.

As far as engy's are concerned, i agree they don't have a place on a good premade team anymore. The solution to that however is not to give them tac like dps, but to creatively figure out a way to find a niche within a team setup that is unique to its class. This has to come at the cost of your self heals though. As it stands, engy is a good first class for the brand new person coming into Sto due to its tanky self preserving Kirk like play style. You enhance engies ability on a team level, you have to take its self preservation abilities o compensate. I for one would welcome this, but the Kirk outcries from the other side of the tracks may very well drown us out.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 438
# 32
10-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Pretty sure he asked of anyone wanted to take over a week ago and no one replied. Feel free to volunteer if you'd like. I for one am thankful and don't think calling the thread half assed is warranted since Mai doesnt even play the game anymore and is only doing this as a psa for us
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,169
# 33
10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
bort mentioned he noticed my talk of DEM not functioning during over time tactical ability use and was going to look into it

also he mentioned in this thread about BFI doffs getting fixed on due to how overwhelmingly powerful they can be

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=401011


in my tac healer cruiser, i can alternate a power preset and go from the top cruiser damage dealers to a multi million healer. i tanked 2 bugs in a C&H for more then 10 minutes in it the other day. sure, if i was an eng i could have done it indefinitely, but then i also wouldn't be able to flip a switch and deal good damage. i may be more vulnerable, but my overall effectiveness is higher, and im more useful. an eng will have higher heal numbers though
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,735
# 34
10-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutx23 View Post
As far as engy's are concerned, i agree they don't have a place on a good premade team anymore. The solution to that however is not to give them tac like dps, but to creatively figure out a way to find a niche within a team setup that is unique to its class.
QFT, Kirking has nothing to do with it, engies need fixing
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 438
# 35
10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
QFT, Kirking has nothing to do with it, engies need fixing
I wouldn't call it a "fix". I'd like to see them "change" to be a more team oriented class than they are now. The current engy has a large player base that refuses to do anything as a team in this game and wants to solo everything without counting on support from anyone else. While our community hates seeing these "kirks" out there, cryptic can't ignore them.

Having played the devils advocate, let me now play the other side and throw out some ideas to consider. What if...engy's became the team support role. Remove extend shields as a bo power and make it an engy captain ability. I guarantee players will learn to use extend then since they're engy captain has it by default. Give engy's scattering field and make sci's scattering field a sensor related debuff (either debuff perception or accuracy of enemies within range) making it more "sciency". Take away rotate shields, but make miracle worker a team heal with the same cd as it has now. Make sci fleet boost accuracy (better sensors) and give engy fleet a boost to hull resist and shield resist (half the resistance of what each fleet ability is now). These changes would almost require a team to field engy captains more
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,735
# 36
10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutx23 View Post
I wouldn't call it a "fix". I'd like to see them "change" to be a more team oriented class than they are now. The current engy has a large player base that refuses to do anything as a team in this game and wants to solo everything without counting on support from anyone else. While our community hates seeing these "kirks" out there, cryptic can't ignore them.

Having played the devils advocate, let me now play the other side and throw out some ideas to consider. What if...engy's became the team support role. Remove extend shields as a bo power and make it an engy captain ability. I guarantee players will learn to use extend then since they're engy captain has it by default. Give engy's scattering field and make sci's scattering field a sensor related debuff (either debuff perception or accuracy of enemies within range) making it more "sciency". Take away rotate shields, but make miracle worker a team heal with the same cd as it has now. Make sci fleet boost accuracy (better sensors) and give engy fleet a boost to hull resist and shield resist (half the resistance of what each fleet ability is now). These changes would almost require a team to field engy captains more
I remember when Tac/cruiser where the joke. I'm not sure where this whole engies are PvEidiots comes from, but here is my take on it.

if you start the game and read the class description it is pretty clear that engie is healer. Who makes a healing toon when they don't want to heal??? the problem is that you might not have noticed before, but once you start to pvp ( the most team oriented settting in game) you realize how superflous your healing toon really is. Which is not a nice thing for all those players with engie main toons.

Wouldn't mind seeing your changes, still we have to keep PvE in mind, and see how engies perform there too, ...but yeah season 18 maybe
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013

Last edited by havam; 10-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 438
# 37
10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
I remember when Tac/cruiser where the joke. I'm not sure where this whole engies are PvEidiots comes from, but here is my take on it.

if you start the game and read the class description it is pretty clear that engie is healer. Who makes a healing toon when they don't want to heal??? the problem is that you might not have noticed before, but once you start to pvp ( the most team oriented settting in game) you realize how superflous your healing toon really is. Which is not a nice thing for all those players with engie main toons.

Wouldn't mind seeing your changes, still we have to keep PvE in mind, and see how engies perform there too, ...but yeah season 18 maybe
Well its been a damn long time since i read a class description for a new toon, but perhaps they should it to reflect the heals being for self preservation so players aren't tricked into engy's.

Also need to remember that the majority of engies (or any other class) DONT pvp, so the biggest thing that's team oriented for them is a STF.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 438
# 38
10-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh, and even when ppl were making fun of tac/cruiser (looks at horizon) I was a fan of running one in my preferred premade layout doing aoe damage to keep pressure on the healers. Back before FAW got nerfed and BFI doffs were introduced, one good tac/cruiser FAW boating could seriously tax a healers ability to keep shield on all there team mates and would totally screw them when you switched to a softened target with little shields left and no buffs from there healer left to help them. Even now, a 3xsci/healer, tac/scort, tac/galor is one of my favorite premade layouts that critz has run a lot in the past. The tac galor serves the same role, but has to do it with cannons now instead of FAW. He creates holes in the other teams defense that our scort can take advantage of with good team communication.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,169
# 39
10-04-2012, 03:49 PM
if they made the engie's 2 self heals castable on others, eng is fixed, undisputed king of healing. would just have to change a 0 to a 1 in a line of code for 2 powers, 3 if you throw in nadian too, and its done. least amount of work possible to make a nearly nonviable class the best at what its supposed to be the best at.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 438
# 40
10-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
if they made the engie's 2 self heals castable on others, eng is fixed, undisputed king of healing. would just have to change a 0 to a 1 in a line of code for 2 powers, 3 if you throw in nadian too, and its done. least amount of work possible to make a nearly nonviable class the best at what its supposed to be the best at.
Good point. I'd still like to see sci give up healing abilities and engy pick them up though. Sci should IMO be more cc based.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 PM.