Career Officer
# 11
10-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah, had a pile of lowbies in the Fleet Alert this evening, we couldn't even get past wave 3. Thanks Cryptic. If you want level 1s in with level 50's you gotta nerf the bad guys some more!

Raising a lvl 1 Miranda to '50' is not the same as a real 50. They have less guns, less consoles, less skill points, less Boff powers... less everything!
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Captain
# 12
10-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I see norghs (and other-non Qin's) all the time in STF's, and yet we win (with optional) most of the time. I still don't see the point of this thread, if you want a sure win do a private with your buddies who all fly battleships.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Commander
# 13
10-05-2012, 05:48 AM
I kind of agree with the sentiment expressed by the OP. But I think you should simply have scaled and like level grouped ques akin to the general purpose fleet actions (SB 24 for example) so that people of all levels can enjoy these events without worry or concern. No one wants to hold a team back or be seen as a liability but they do want to play the game.

While I was leveling up my current toon, I once thought I que?d up for SB 24 in my rookie ship but some how ended up in a Fleet Alert. It was actually caused by the mouse cursor leaving the FA highlighted down the list when scrolling to find SB 24 to double click on it. Stuff like this can happen sometimes if one is not fully paying attention. Man, I was so embarrassed and slunk down in my chair but had no time to just drop before the event began. I started too anyway but fleet members encouraged me to play it out. I killed five ships through the match as it didn?t seem to scale my weapon damage well but I never died while a group of 4 level 50?s I was stuck with seemed to die every time they spawned. O.o

I still haven?t figured out what was up with that group. Sometimes? Level just doesn?t matter...
Career Officer
# 14
10-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Yesterday I wound in a pug with 4 lowbies and we managed to save just 1 freighter. I got 2 whole fleet marks out of it and it was a compete waste of time. They simply do not have the firepower necessary to compete effectively in fleet events at VA level.
I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008
Career Officer
# 15
10-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakesfistatsky View Post
Yesterday I wound in a pug with 4 lowbies and we managed to save just 1 freighter. I got 2 whole fleet marks out of it and it was a compete waste of time. They simply do not have the firepower necessary to compete effectively in fleet events at VA level.
Starbase Blockade does not need firepower to save freighters.....
If you only managed to save 1 freighter you cannot blame 'lowbies' for your failure to save anymore, on my own I can save a freighter, sometimes 2 freighters at once if they spawn near each other (I'm a science captain btw) and my fleet mates can do exactly the same when I taught them the tactics I came up with, be they science engineering or tactical.
Please have a look at the below link to my post on tactics for starbase blockade, if you can follow this I guarantee that you will get at least 6/7 freighters saved no matter what team you are with 'lowbie' or not

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=390871
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
10-05-2012, 06:47 AM
The ideal of raising non 40/50-levels to that level has no meaning if the weapons on the ship are still low performing for the mission. If low ranking characters are going to play with high ranking players (espeically those with mod gear/MK XI/XII) then the low-ranking players have to receive a major power/points boost to make this useful.

The obvious solution if to keep LT to CPTs in one group and raise everyone up to the base level of the higests ranked player in to the group, and to have RA/VAs as another group. The only problem would be population base (especially for the KDF) to maintain game play for that type of mission.

Really, I see Fleet Action more feasible if a non-faction varian is made (just like STFs), so that teams are easier to build and all players can easily jump into one. There is always an excuse for why a KDF is attacking another KDF, and FEDs can always be going up against MU FEDs. Either way, theire needs to be some tweeking to make the gameplay more reliable than just throwing a bunch of oddly ranked players into a group and telling them, "Good Luck with that."
Career Officer
# 17
10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel64 View Post
The ideal of raising non 40/50-levels to that level has no meaning if the weapons on the ship are still low performing for the mission. If low ranking characters are going to play with high ranking players (espeically those with mod gear/MK XI/XII) then the low-ranking players have to receive a major power/points boost to make this useful.

The obvious solution if to keep LT to CPTs in one group and raise everyone up to the base level of the higests ranked player in to the group, and to have RA/VAs as another group. The only problem would be population base (especially for the KDF) to maintain game play for that type of mission.

Really, I see Fleet Action more feasible if a non-faction varian is made (just like STFs), so that teams are easier to build and all players can easily jump into one. There is always an excuse for why a KDF is attacking another KDF, and FEDs can always be going up against MU FEDs. Either way, theire needs to be some tweeking to make the gameplay more reliable than just throwing a bunch of oddly ranked players into a group and telling them, "Good Luck with that."

Wow...really? The only one we saved was saved by me. I spent the entire match saving the other players from fiery death. They were completely ineffective. But as you were obviously there, I defer to you esteemed wisdom in these matters.
I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008