Rihannsu
# 31
10-03-2012, 05:00 PM
They could decide to do a 2409-version of the Luna-class, and take the opportunity to revisit the default Luna model in the first place.

I made pretty heavy use of the Luna-class during my first year of playing STO. I'd be glad to see it get something of a facelift. It's always been of pretty average quality. While I never felt the deflector on the sensor pod was such a big deal (I excused it under the '30 years later' clause) it did bother me to see the ship with sloppy geometry around the front of the stardrive (which should have had a much more definite arrowhead shape) along with the odious addition of twin torp launchers on the 'lower lip' on the saucer's rim.
Commander
# 32
10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
My Science captain proudly flies the USS Europa, with the registry number as close as I can get it to the "official" list I found.

While the Luna-class is being looked at, any chance of dropping the nacelles and/or pylons just a little so that they no longer obstruct the saucer's impulse exhausts? That's bothered me for a while, enough to look at the original design and confirm that they shouldn't (barely).
Commander
# 33
10-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaeko View Post
They could decide to do a 2409-version of the Luna-class, and take the opportunity to revisit the default Luna model in the first place.
Did somebody say 2409 Luna? Also.
Ensign
# 34
10-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
My Science captain proudly flies the USS Europa, with the registry number as close as I can get it to the "official" list I found.

While the Luna-class is being looked at, any chance of dropping the nacelles and/or pylons just a little so that they no longer obstruct the saucer's impulse exhausts? That's bothered me for a while, enough to look at the original design and confirm that they shouldn't (barely).

No that is the way I designed the pylons. Actually that is a complaint that Cary Brown (One of the Runner-ups in the Contest) had.
Ensign
# 35
10-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronh42 View Post
Did somebody say 2409 Luna? Also.
Can't say I am a fan of the 2409 looking design of the Luna. I can see the Luna getting a Sensor Pod and Nacelle swap out by 2409, bu I am not a fan of the Saucer you have there.
Career Officer
# 36
10-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Hello Sean. I'm a big fan of the Luna ever since I first saw the contest winner announced (and have used her in STO off-and-on since the beginning). After seeing the ISS version's multi-vector mode I was wondering if the USS version can separate the saucer in an emergency?
Ensign
# 37
10-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunkl View Post
Hello Sean. I'm a big fan of the Luna ever since I first saw the contest winner announced (and have used her in STO off-and-on since the beginning). After seeing the ISS version's multi-vector mode I was wondering if the USS version can separate the saucer in an emergency?
No that is one thing that Marco did not want the Titan to be able to do. That is why when I created the ISS version I added the Multi vector attack mode.
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-15-2013, 02:58 AM
Necessary necromancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourangeau001 View Post
No that is the way I designed the pylons. Actually that is a complaint that Cary Brown (One of the Runner-ups in the Contest) had.
I'm not so sure. Upon comparing several of your Luna profile depictions to that of the in-game model, it does appear that the in-game model's pylons are a bit higher (perhaps only in a relative sense), and entirely obstruct the impulse drive exhaust, whereas it appears that your artwork only depicts the lower edge of the Luna's impulse drive exhausts to be on the same plane as the pylons.

Granted, one can always explain away any such obstruction with the notion that the exhaust does not propel the ship like a damaging rocket (the old subspace drive explanation), but in STO, many impulse drives have very noticeable, brightly coloured thrust trails that, unfortunately, blast directly through the pylons. And it's the only model in the game that does this.

Also, they neglected to provide a hull texture directly beneath the sensor pod. It's just an empty grey area, and very noticeable. Most unfortunate, since your design, when properly modeled, can be quite beautiful.