Starfleet Veteran
The idea of "reputations" is a great one, however the system they're using to impliment them is junk.

Reputations should fluctuate with each mission you do based on the faction you're most loyal to. For instance, if you do a mission for Starfleet Command to blow up a Romulan base, then you should (by default) gain faction with the Federation, Section 31, Starfleet Command, Federation council, ect. You should also lose ALOT of standing with the Romulan Empire, the Tal'Shiar, Romulan High Command and any other Romulan assets, though you could gain faction with some rogue elements like "Romulan dissidents".

The more "points" you gain for each faction, the more lucrative and special the missions are. This is reflected by the fact that you're earning the trust of the entities you're working for. Higher standing, opens up better missions and contacts. Double crossing your faction earns you some serious backlash.

This concept of performing missions on the Romulan colony to gain so called "faction points" would be fine, except that number never decreases as a result of the number of preciously rare Romulan Warbirds you've blown out of the sky. See what I'm getting at? The system they describe is just another point counter (designed to unlock bonuses as points get higher) and not an actual measurement of "reputation" based upon which faction you serve.

Yes, this means that some people "Freelancers" could play both sides of the war effort. Some people could even conceivably "defect" from one side to another by earning a high enough reputation with the opposing faction (to the point where military missions are offered) and annoying their original faction (to the point that missions are no longer offered.)
Captain
# 32
10-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah this reputation system sounds like way more trouble than its worth. If you bring notice to how your behavior goes against federation values that should get you kicked out of the organization or put at a desk job.
Rihannsu
# 33
10-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capthayden View Post
For instance, if you do a mission for Starfleet Command to blow up a Romulan base, then you should (by default) gain faction with the Federation, Section 31, Starfleet Command, Federation council, ect. You should also lose ALOT of standing with the Romulan Empire, the Tal'Shiar, Romulan High Command and any other Romulan assets, though you could gain faction with some rogue elements like "Romulan dissidents".
We arent playing F:NV and we are not independent contractors either.

Reputation seems to be part of a rewards system, no reward system makes you lose points outside when said points are used and in STO the only system they seem to be using is a tiered system, you gain points to reach a tier to gain rewards, the Fleet Mark system is a currency system and its the only one were your idea would kinda work.

Kinda.

Reason is Starfleet and KDF Officers are supposed to follow orders, if you disobey or act in a way that is against the spirit of the orders given you be relieved of command or in the KDF fashion being relieved of command by means of a bladed instrument by one of your officers.

A dynamic system does not work too well in STO due to the very nature of WHO you are supposed to be.
Captain
# 34
10-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
We arent playing F:NV and we are not independent contractors either.

A dynamic system does not work too well in STO due to the very nature of WHO you are supposed to be.
Thats the main problem i see here too. As a starfleet officer you can either follow orders or not. Well you can get more popular with certain kind of factions, but not as much as some freelancer could.
Some things that work with other MMOs just don't work with Star Trek very well, a reputation system is certainly one of them. But when i look around on Starfleet academy or ESD i see very few people even trying to wear a starfleet like uniform. Most seem to think they play some sort of Mass Effect game if you look at their "uniforms".
The same applies to ships, we get more and more non Starfleet ships in Starfleet, i am still puzzeling about the point of that.

So the devs seem to like the idea of turning us players into something like mercenaries that have just loose contact to starfleet. But in order to do that in a believeable way they need to roll the complete game inside out, changing all missions and change the Rank system and some more other things too.

STO moves more and more away from Star Trek as i like it IMO.
They should just release the rights of Star Trek and create a sci fi universe of their own. Seriously i think, it would be a much better game then STO. Most of STOs balancing issues wouldn't be half as serve and they wouldn't be half as emotional important as now.

Thank you for reading.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

The "TT and/or AtB less builds" - Thread

Last edited by yreodred; 10-05-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 35
10-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
Thats the main problem i see here too. As a starfleet officer you can either follow orders or not. Well you can get more popular with certain kind of factions, but not as much as some freelancer could.
Some things that work with other MMOs just don't work with Star Trek very well, a reputation system is certainly one of them. But when i look around on Starfleet academy or ESD i see very few people even trying to wear a starfleet like uniform. Most seem to think they play some sort of Mass Effect game if you look at their "uniforms".
The same applies to ships, we get more and more non Starfleet ships in Starfleet, i am still puzzeling about the point of that.

So the devs seem to like the idea of turning us players into something like mercenaries that have just loose contact to starfleet. But in order to do that in a believeable way they need to roll the complete game inside out, changing all missions and change the Rank system and some more other things too.

STO moves more and more away from Star Trek as i like it IMO.
They should just release the rights of Star Trek and create a sci fi universe of their own. Seriously i think, it would be a much better game then STO. Most of STOs balancing issues wouldn't be half as serve and they wouldn't be half as emotional important as now.

Thank you for reading.
Yeah the ongoing problem I have with this game is that somewhere in the totem pole the integrity of the game and the Star Trek Franchise is sold out to make an extra buck to those that don't really care much for what the game is modeled after and is made for via the licensing they always talk about they have to get.

Comes to another point of why I love the KDF side over the federation side because of that fact that this game the federation side gives the feeling of its not the federation at all. Plus it definately at the least needs something thats not one of those eye sore of a exploration mission but something like Pi Canis that KDF gets to do for dilithium too. Since the game has gotten so grindy the more grind it gets the less I want to play my federation toons. On top of that its rare you will see anymore than 1 or 2 players in a given instance that looks like they resemble anything of Starfleet.

Pretty much though what they expect and what players are expecting now is to try to ignore the quick cash grabs that are being put into the game and take in the little bit of Star Trek each season might bring if any. By the time they start doing redo's of the lockboxes you'll mostly see just about every other player in some ship that is not KDF or Federation but those are the only 2 factions that will probally ever be in this game because they put everything into lockboxes and any money being spent to support this game and make it grow further is just putting back into the lockbox system and no additional mission content either que or FE based (only way PvP will get any better either is if someone comes up with a way that ppl will pay to pvp in a massive scale to put $$$ in the eyes of those at the top of the totem pole).
Career Officer
# 36
10-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Ask Cryptic: October 2012, Question #2
Quote:
Q: (awesometific) It seems that the Klingon/Fed War story line has fallen by the wayside and there doesn't seem to be a reason for the factions to be separated. Are there any plans to either reinforce this story line or drop it all together and move the narrative forward?

Dstahl: We plan to move the narrative forward over the next three seasons, starting with an indirect attempt by both factions to bring the Romulans to their side of the conflict.
I hope to hell that I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like you're planning to add the Romulans into the Federation and / or Klingon factions. Dont!

There was a poll that you guys put up a month ago asking the community what they most wanted out of the game right now. Think I remember a Romulan Playable Faction leading that poll. The fans have spoken. Can the development team deliver? If this latest Ask Cryptic is anything to go by, and if I'm reading it right, then you're planning to ignore the wishes of the fans completely, and are going to shove the Romulans in elsewhere (rather than give them the faction they deserve).

The Romulans aren't ready to join the Federation, and even when they do get to a point that they are, they sure as hell wouldn't join with the Klingons. With the exception of Sela and her band of merry soldiers, when have the Klingons and Romulans ever cooperated with only each other? These two species aren't overly fond of each other, so it is my hope that they are very much kept apart from each other in terms of alliances.

Star Trek: Online (eventually) needs more than two factions; the Romulans are the logical choice for faction number #3. I don't want to see them wasted as castaways that are incorporated into other factions. If you're not in a position to create a third faction just yet, that's fine, you don't need too, but don't integrate the Romulans into a current faction.
Career Officer
# 37
10-06-2012, 12:45 AM
A new TIER of Ships?

You better not make any of the current Ships obsolete, the Fleet Ship nonsense was hard enough to stomach already.
If all my C-Store purchases and LockBox Ships will be made obsolete by the Admiral Rank, i don't know if that would make me want to get them... or if it would just make me rage quit.

Oh and disappoint that Foundry gets no love from the Reputation System, i just finally want an in-game reason to PLAY Foundry and get some epic Loot out of it.
Be that a *Lobi* Store for Foundry kind of thing, or through the Rep System...

I am surprised that Season 7 is already next month, with the bigger team size will we get more Seasons per Year again?
I expected it to hit somewhere around 12/2012 01/2013 to be honest...
if so when can we expect Season 8? more like 3 or more like 6 months after S7?

With more Romulan Stuff in S7, do we get to hear / see Obisek again?
(still one of the few really memorable characters in STO)

When Kits get turned into single items...
i love the idea, finally some more diverse builds than the default 5.
but i also see some huge negatives here.

right now i need 5 inventory slots to have all kits on me at all times for each profession, splitting these 5 kits up would already result in 20 required slots for the items,
then add a few new ones through... whatever monetized pay to win (pay for power) way and boom half the inventory / bank is full with kit items...
Career Officer
# 38
10-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Will we again see a data feed for the captains database, and captains log?
Empire Veteran
# 39
10-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Ask Cryptic: October 2012, Question #2I hope to hell that I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like you're planning to add the Romulans into the Federation and / or Klingon factions. Dont!

There was a poll that you guys put up a month ago asking the community what they most wanted out of the game right now. Think I remember a Romulan Playable Faction leading that poll. The fans have spoken. Can the development team deliver? If this latest Ask Cryptic is anything to go by, and if I'm reading it right, then you're planning to ignore the wishes of the fans completely, and are going to shove the Romulans in elsewhere (rather than give them the faction they deserve).

The Romulans aren't ready to join the Federation, and even when they do get to a point that they are, they sure as hell wouldn't join with the Klingons. With the exception of Sela and her band of merry soldiers, when have the Klingons and Romulans ever cooperated with only each other? These two species aren't overly fond of each other, so it is my hope that they are very much kept apart from each other in terms of alliances.

Star Trek: Online (eventually) needs more than two factions; the Romulans are the logical choice for faction number #3. I don't want to see them wasted as castaways that are incorporated into other factions. If you're not in a position to create a third faction just yet, that's fine, you don't need too, but don't integrate the Romulans into a current faction.
He said 'indirect attempt'. That is the Reputation system, where both factions do missions involving the Romulans, trying to get them on their side.

But like he said, it's an attempt. Nothing's been decided yet on if the Romulans will become another playable faction, or intergrated into a different faction.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Empire Veteran
# 40
10-06-2012, 02:26 AM
I can't wait for season 7 to come with new things to do right before the holidays especially so you can dive into them and have lots to do. The black cloud I am kinda seeing right now because I do understand its a business and PWE wouldn't be letting resources go outside of lockboxes if there wasn't some dilithium/zen/c point sink involved. The idea what I am thinking is its going to be mostly a new variant of the doff system for the most part with some angry romulans trying to make a living in their new colony. Also that I'll prolly be hitting the F key and the 3 key to rifle but the angry romulan thugs.

Here is to hoping that I am wrong and that its going to be something different than the norm.