Commander
# 1 Vicious Varanus
10-06-2012, 05:09 AM
I went back ten pages, and not one Varanus thread. So I figured I would start one, asking for a little help. Now as a Gorn I fly a Gorn ship, However my Gorn is a tac captain, which raises some issues.

My basic premise at the moment is Some high tier science attack powers (Gravity well pimped to the max) and a number of lower tier Hull and shield heals. Weapons power is run at minimum, so Aux can be set to maximum.
For weapons I run with 6x PLasma torpedo's. The logic is with those I don't need to worry about weapon power, and the plasma fire gets around the enemy shields. In my previous science ship builds getting enough power to all the systems was always a pain.

But here is the issue I have. While I can kill things reasonably well, some times it takes a little longer than I'd like. To give an example, I'll use an STF (the one with the three spawn points attacking the Krang)
The BOP's I can deal with just fine. The Raptors one might get past me, but die abut 2Km past my ship, and the Neg'vah's I got no chance of stopping both, maybe one, if
the gravity well aftershock proc fires nicely.

So I'm wondering How I can up my punch. Any ideas?
I did think about losing my two torpedo spreads (set everything on fire!) for attack pattens and use Hagh'peng torps x6.

Part of the issue seems to be the ineffectivenss of fully pimped science powers. a Tachyon beam III or Charged particle burst III will only knock a targets shields down to 50%. I suppose a full cannon/Turret/1x photon torp build with lots of shield and hull heals, and all power to weaposns could work

So any ideas?
Thanks.
Career Officer
# 2
10-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Have you thought about doing some kind of power drain build with something like 2 torps and a DBB front, or 3 torps but personally I'd go with the dbb for inherent subsystem target bonus, and 3x turrets rear?

There's a thread around that goes into full detail about specific builds. It just seems to me that trying to go conventional dps route with a sci ship with just a lt tac boff is akin to forcing a square peg into a round hole.
Lieutenant
# 3
10-06-2012, 02:02 PM
This is my build, but with a science captain.

For weapons:
front: polaron beam array, photon torpedo, transphasic torpedo
rear: polaron beam array, plasma torpedo, hargh'peng torpedo

For deflector, shields and engines i'm still using non set items.
Deflector with flow capacitor and particle generator bonuses.

Consoles:
Eng: rcs accelerator - neutronium alloy - plasmonic leech
sci: borg console - particle generator - flow capacitor x2 (or flow capacitor and rule 62 console)
tac: warhead yield chamber x2

I use 2 projectile weapons doffs and 3 technicians. Or 3 and 2 depending on the situation.

The beam arrays are for target subsystems and leech.
The different type of torpedoes don't share cool-downs, just the one second in between each launch. I can fire the front torpedoes, turn around and fire the other two. And when the projectile doffs proc I can fire a photon almost every second, that's why I use them in front.

The technicians doffs are for aux to battery. 30% lower cool-down on boff abilities with 3 purple quality doffs.

Tractor beam repulsors for cubes when their shield are down or when aux to battery takes me down to 5 auxiliary power. Very little repulsion, lots of kinetic damage.

I find it is a very good drain build with a lot of kinetic damage. Great for team play, not so much for soloing.

At least I like it.
Lieutenant
# 4
10-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Well, if you're planning on a GravWell, maybe Transphasic torps may serve better. Since a recent patch, close to 80% of the damage is getting past shields, so their shields is no longer an issue. If you went for a Drain build with Tyken's Rifts, then their shields would be dropping enough that harder hitting torps would be more effective. For me, plasma's proc just doesn't hit/damage enough to be reliable for heavy targets (like those Neghvars), and I hate letting my target shoot down my torpedos!
Commander
# 5
10-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaizap View Post
Well, if you're planning on a GravWell, maybe Transphasic torps may serve better. Since a recent patch, close to 80% of the damage is getting past shields, so their shields is no longer an issue. If you went for a Drain build with Tyken's Rifts, then their shields would be dropping enough that harder hitting torps would be more effective. For me, plasma's proc just doesn't hit/damage enough to be reliable for heavy targets (like those Neghvars), and I hate letting my target shoot down my torpedos!
I'd missed the buff to Transphasics. However he 80% is only to mines, Torpedo's are at 40%. None to shaby. Depends on the numbers for my Torpedo's in burn rate, but might be worth a switch, I'll hae to have a look when I get home
1x Mad idea: 3x Cannons up front 3X Transphasic mines in the rear. Straffing run with gravity well and then a cloud of Transphasic mines...
Career Officer
# 6
10-07-2012, 12:41 AM
If you're going to do that, how about 2 transphasic mines and the cluster torp? The cluster is on a different cooldown from the mines, and at point blank you're assured to get it to deploy the full net. Then you can just use a dispersion pattern on one of the mines.
Commander
# 7
10-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhyena View Post
If you're going to do that, how about 2 transphasic mines and the cluster torp? The cluster is on a different cooldown from the mines, and at point blank you're assured to get it to deploy the full net. Then you can just use a dispersion pattern on one of the mines.
Apparetly the Cluster torp mines are not at 80% bleed through. But that said 3x Cluster torps and 3x Mine launchers could be funny.
Republic Veteran
# 8
10-07-2012, 08:08 AM
I'd throw least one dbb in there to use sst, if you want to use a torp/mine build...personally I'd throw some heavy hitting longer cd torps/mines on the rear.

Perhaps a plasma mine, transphasic cluster torp, and hargh'peng for a little bit extra aoe. disruptor dbb for the proc (I know it won't proc often but still a good proc for your build) and sst. Some torpedo doffs so you can rapid fire the forward plasma torps.
Commander
# 9
10-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
I'd throw least one dbb in there to use sst, if you want to use a torp/mine build...personally I'd throw some heavy hitting longer cd torps/mines on the rear.

Perhaps a plasma mine, transphasic cluster torp, and hargh'peng for a little bit extra aoe. disruptor dbb for the proc (I know it won't proc often but still a good proc for your build) and sst. Some torpedo doffs so you can rapid fire the forward plasma torps.
Isn't that going to have a really weird firing cycle? With a very low output of torps? I mean I've normally got 5-6 in the air at once.
Captain
# 10
10-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes. And most of them will be useless against shields. You need beam weapons to wear down the target. Even with grav well. Grav well, TY, etc, only "help" finish the target off. They won't be your primary damage-dealing abilities. You WILL need to rely on energy weapons.

I tried the 1-beam-from, 1-beam-rear, rest-mixed-warheads and it was utterly pathetic even against AI NPCs. You'll end up using TR and GW 3 or 4 times each before you finish off one medium level ship. Been there, done that, moved on to better setups.