Career Officer
# 501
10-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptrichardson12 View Post
Still trying to figure out how this thing is actually going to be statted.

10 consoles is a given, likely with 3/3/4.
I'm banking on it having 9, then "down the road" they'll release a CStore variant and a Fleet Version, and the Fleet Version will have 10... and the Veteran Version won't count toward the Fleet Version.

Obviously I'm not expecting any of it's stats to be on a par with the Fleet Vessels. Cryptic is trying to make a living selling ships now, and I honestly don't believe they count subscription fees (be it monthly or LTS) as a substitute. If they did Vet Tokens would probably count toward the Fleet Galaxys, Intrepids and Defiants.

I think these ships will probably be "interesting" but I seriously doubt they'll be competitive with Fleet ships.
# 502
10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappyj0yj0y View Post
I'm banking on it having 9, then "down the road" they'll release a CStore variant and a Fleet Version, and the Fleet Version will have 10... and the Veteran Version won't count toward the Fleet Version.

Obviously I'm not expecting any of it's stats to be on a par with the Fleet Vessels. Cryptic is trying to make a living selling ships now, and I honestly don't believe they count subscription fees (be it monthly or LTS) as a substitute. If they did Vet Tokens would probably count toward the Fleet Galaxys, Intrepids and Defiants.

I think these ships will probably be "interesting" but I seriously doubt they'll be competitive with Fleet ships.
Why? To get the ship, you have to pay something around 300-600 dollars. It has to be at least lockbox grade, and that's before the 'modes' are taken into account.

Half the point of this ship is to be the 'shining light at the end of the road' for subscribers, something to KEEP them subscribed. So, it has to at least match the top ship in the game, or slightly exceed it. It's going to be rarer than Bugs, and it is only fitting that it be slightly more powerful, if not very more powerful (which would be a nice incentive).

That way they can release a crappier Cryptic take on the design that's T5 in stats (instead of T6 or something) that'll make people go for that as an interm item.

Last edited by cptrichardson12; 10-07-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Career Officer
# 503
10-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptrichardson12 View Post
Why? To get the ship, you have to pay something around 300-600 dollars.
You assume that Cryptic believes that money "counts".

A 600 Day Veteran token requires a $300 LTS, or 20 monrths of reoccurring subscription time... so at the standard monthly rate that's still $300. For that you unlock limited access to three $20 ships... and none of that counts toward their Fleet versions.

Cryptic seems to see subscription fees as money tossed down the drain, and vet rewards (which they're ending with this next one) as simply "bonus material"... not actually stuff you pay for.

Hell, look at the Yacht. It's positively mediocre for a shuttle, and was soundly outclassed by the Delta before the thing was even released.
# 504
10-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:

I bet this would be the case as well. They won't give away a ship that's more powerful than one they can sell to everyone else, 1000 day vets included. There are a lot more people that will be hitting the 1000 day mark than you might think. So I doubt they will want to give away, basically for free, a really powerful ship that they can charge you for in the CStore etc.

But, we'll see, maybe I'll eat my words. But this is the "New Cryptic" we're talking about.
Empire Veteran
# 505
10-07-2012, 08:42 PM
What a good way though to get people coughing up for subs/LTS than a with powerful ship. If it's up there with fleet ships then it might do just that.

Looking forward to the details on these forthcoming ships. I'm still 30 days from reaching 1000.
Enough time to drool over other peoples ones, cry that I don't have it yet, dream about how I'll set it up, then jump for joy when I get it
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Benthan, Voth Fighter. Favs - Bulwark, Fleet Corsair, Mogh, Nicor, Mat'Ha
Some others - Qib, Orion Marauder, Guramba, JHEC, JAS, Bastion
Empire Veteran
# 506
10-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I've been playing this game for a year, subbed since day 1. Just a gold, not a lifer. I really do hope that in another year and a half (presuming I'm still playing, and presuming this game is still around), I can only hope this ship is worth being that 'light at the end of the tunnel'.

Captain
# 507
10-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
I've been playing this game for a year, subbed since day 1. Just a gold, not a lifer. I really do hope that in another year and a half (presuming I'm still playing, and presuming this game is still around), I can only hope this ship is worth being that 'light at the end of the tunnel'.
Chances are that they will have better ships in a year and a half. Of course, it is doubtful that there will be another ship that have as many modes as these ones have.
Republic Veteran
# 508
10-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostusthorn View Post
Hrm,

So far can't say I'm impressed or actually interested in those ships. Which is a shame.

I'm VERY disappointed in the KDF ship that STOJamesLee posted as the 1k vet. I would MUCH prefer something meaner looking, more predatory. Like the one in your signature, Lotusthorn.
Empire Veteran
# 509
10-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Quote:
For a FREE Fed ship its not bad - A rather meh design / Reminds me of the Saber Class but with a more round saucer segment.

That is if the pictures I am looking at via google image Chimera Class starship is accurate.

Knowing Cryptic they may throw in their own spin on it.

I'm hoping this 1K Vet reward comes with that elegant ship skin that the Bellaphon and Sao Paolo Class came with.

I think its the type 0 material - the one with the bright white and brilliant colors.
Career Officer
# 510
10-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
For a FREE Fed ship its not bad - A rather meh design / Reminds me of the Saber Class but with a more round saucer segment.

That is if the pictures I am looking at via google image Chimera Class starship is accurate
There is no canon Chimera Class, so chances are you're not looking at the right ship unless you grabbed the image from this thread.

It's based on this design which was a submission for the contest that the Odyssey eventually won.