Captain
# 11
10-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidiusrex View Post
The fact is: fleets take up database space. The purpose of a fleet is for a group of players to form a sub community. If every player had his or her own fleet, it would increase database overhead per character exponentially. It's also the reason why a player has only a handful of character slots, given everything that is stored for single character (ships, BOffs, DOffs, inventory, bank, mail, mission logs, etc.).

If you are going to try to advance a starbase with one person, it would be so prodigiously slow as to be ineffectual. You'd be lucky to make SB Level 2 in a year solo, never mind trying to get a Tier 4 Shipyard to unlock certain ships, or ranking other tiers to open up starbase contacts & vendors.

And I've seen plenty of MMOs "hide content behind a guild-only door". DAoCamelot, EQ, EQ2, WoW, CoH, CO...

There are still plenty of fleets that will let you join them, asking little in return, and granting you access to all a starbase has to offer...
I guess you have not heard about solo fleet "Starbase 001" - the first solo fleet to tier 3

Currently tier 3 Sci upgrade is done - in 2 days the Shipyard will come off CD and be finished and then the Tier 3 Eng Fab will be launched - so in 10 days the final Tier 3 upgrade itself will be launhed

Within 17 days from today Solo fleet "Starbase 001" will have completely produced a tier 3 Starbase

Last edited by levi3; 10-06-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Maybe what he meant to say, then, is that it would take a year using (to borrow a term from baseball and the infield fly rule) 'ordinary effort'.

500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
Career Officer
# 13
10-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons9 View Post
not really, because when they kick the 4 other starting players out the fleet should auto disband.
This is how it should work. there should be No Solo Solo's
Captain
# 14
10-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagurazaka77 View Post
Maybe what he meant to say, then, is that it would take a year using (to borrow a term from baseball and the infield fly rule) 'ordinary effort'.
If I wanted to I could take Starbase 001 to tier 4 by myself - but what's the point? The thing was just a insane project to see if I could make tier 3. Frankly I find the whole starbase thing a complete waste of resources for anything under 50 people. In fact the starbase is for the most part completely UNLESS! - It has almost zero funtionallity that could not be done elsewhere and the cost of the ships you get are crazy - just taking into account the fact they are Character only - not even taking into account the billions of lost EC and millions of dilth - to get tier 3 completed is over 3 million dilth(equilivant) - not including those mostly garbage cosmentic "special" projects

that's almost 20,000 zen - or 8 c-store T5 starships

So for me solo-ing it stops at Tier 3 - once completed -( it's behind schedule as i was expecting end of Sept but just got tied of the fast pace and cut back) I will be taking on up to 10 people who would like to waste their time and resources with me to take it to tier 4 - and possibly tier 5 if they change the requirements.

Its' purely a starbase project as i have no interest in managing or being in a "fleet" doing things with others at this point in the game. After 2700 hrs of gameplay I stick to doffing and the odd STF now.
Lieutenant
# 15
10-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Well the old Start a Guild Fleet and ya have 24 hours to have 5 people join should be in. Somtimes ya can have 5 great people wanting to start a Fleet but there not on all the time together. Which is a good thing as the fleet grows eash of the 5 can recruit in different time slots. Give it a 24 hour timer. its not hard plenty of other games have done it.
Career Officer
# 16
10-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Leave solo fleets and their starbases alone, its the only reason some of us are still playing the game.
Empire Veteran
# 17
10-08-2012, 04:00 AM
Quote:
The fact is: fleets take up database space. The purpose of a fleet is for a group of players to form a sub community. If every player had his or her own fleet, it would increase database overhead per character exponentially. It's also the reason why a player has only a handful of character slots, given everything that is stored for single character (ships, BOffs, DOffs, inventory, bank, mail, mission logs, etc.).
Thats debatable, I don't see how single player fleets is the monster of database space - the game has larger issues than mere database space, for instance the serious need to upgrade their server (which ain't going to happen) - Also by your logic they should also restrict character slots to about 4 to ease database space and/or load time slow downs due to character switching.

Quote:
If you are going to try to advance a starbase with one person, it would be so prodigiously slow as to be ineffectual. You'd be lucky to make SB Level 2 in a year solo, never mind trying to get a Tier 4 Shipyard to unlock certain ships, or ranking other tiers to open up starbase contacts & vendors.
False - I have 2 single player fleets solely for alt storage since I have so many characters - that is aside from the main fleet I belong to. I am half way to tier 3 on both alt fleets and it took me about 2 and 1/2 months - of course I admit my many alts surely helped in that process.

Fleets isn't a problem for this game - and people who argue against one man fleets stating that it should disband if there aren't at least 2 players in it are silly. Probably folks who want their own fleet roster filled, especially now that Fleets are actually in demand for membership to acquire resources for tier progression.

Funny, I tried some other fleet awhile ago that allowed fleet contribution to their projects - GUESS What - their settings for those allowed to buy from the fleet store were set to senior Officer and above.

In other words you are a slaved in your contributions, and if you're deemed worthy - then they give you permission to buy from your own fleet store. They need to revamp it to be either player specific or allow players to buy when they have contributed a set amount of contributions towards fleet projects.
Career Officer
# 18
10-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
I guess you have not heard about solo fleet "Starbase 001" - the first solo fleet to tier 3

Currently tier 3 Sci upgrade is done - in 2 days the Shipyard will come off CD and be finished and then the Tier 3 Eng Fab will be launched - so in 10 days the final Tier 3 upgrade itself will be launhed

Within 17 days from today Solo fleet "Starbase 001" will have completely produced a tier 3 Starbase
He he Levi3, you're mad mate! Are you gonna tell us how much real cash you spent? You're at the same level as our 300 man fleet with over 150 contributors and even there I've spent way too much cash and time.

However well done, an incredible effort, awesome in fact and I doubt anyone will every beat you as a solo fleet.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 19
10-08-2012, 04:12 AM
I tend to agree... 1 man fleets shouldn be allowed to exist... Im talking handles here...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 20
10-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I tend to agree... 1 man fleets shouldn be allowed to exist... Im talking handles here...
Why, what harm does it do?

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html