Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
# 1 Can someone explain to me how.
10-07-2012, 09:23 AM
In game 24 hour chat bans work? Is it something a GM does or is it something that happens as a result of a few players flagging another player for spamming?
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 759
# 2
10-07-2012, 09:24 AM
It is community driven. When a player gets X number of spam reports from other players in the game the system automatically inputs a 24-hour chat ban on the player.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
# 3
10-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Thank you for the reply! Do you know how many reports it takes to do that? Or better yet is there a site or page you can direct me to explaining it? Thanks again.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 834
# 4
10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
it is kind of a broken system. my recruiter in my fleet will put a message or two up in zone chat or something (not even spamming it really) and people flag him. and he recieves a 24 hr. ban. (which is unwarranted). funny thing is he doesnt really use zone chat for any other reason.

so while it helps us self moderate the "special" users who flame nonsense, it also opens up a greifing key for people who find it fun to get people 24 hr. bans, or people who are set against fleets who dont like seeing the recruiting messages.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
# 5
10-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm glad im not the only one with the issue.. I'm up to my second 24 hour ban and It has me to the point of wanting to rage quit and tell everyone and there brothers mothers uncles sisters second cousin to stay away from STO. Community moderated Chat is a giant mistake IMO and should be the job of PW-Cryptic Appointed in-game moderators..

I got out of a game that glitched and screwed the team out of fleet marks so i said a few choice words venting in DS9 chat (wrong i know) I didn't spam.. I didn't keep ranting.. I made one statement and that was it .. a minute later I'm on a 24 hour chat ban.

Its fantastic to play a game that has the ability to pour salt on an already open wound.

Bottom line is it needs to be fixed. Otherwise I won't be held responsible for the rage trolling I start doing if and when i receive my 3rd 24 chat ban from other players who are, in most cases, the real trolls.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,069
# 6
10-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttenham View Post
it is kind of a broken system. my recruiter in my fleet will put a message or two up in zone chat or something (not even spamming it really) and people flag him. and he recieves a 24 hr. ban. (which is unwarranted). funny thing is he doesnt really use zone chat for any other reason.

so while it helps us self moderate the "special" users who flame nonsense, it also opens up a greifing key for people who find it fun to get people 24 hr. bans, or people who are set against fleets who dont like seeing the recruiting messages.
That happens because people think "what I dont like or want it must be spam" not to mention the smart arses who report people just for the sake of it .Of ocurse people who dont like a recruitment message/other kind of things (usually people can hate just because you exist) cant add that person to ignore but this never happens because cryptic thought to piss off players by adding something to exploit.I know people who exploit this are less guilty than those who are paid to prevent exploits which can only annoy (i dont know 1 person who has something good to say about "lets ban people" )


Quote:
Originally Posted by thyuberdude View Post
I got out of a game that glitched and screwed the team out of fleet marks so i said a few choice words venting in DS9 chat (wrong i know) I didn't spam.. I didn't keep ranting.. I made one statement and that was it .. a minute later I'm on a 24 hour chat ban.

It doesnt matter what you say ...people are not paid to ban you or to decide what is spam or what is not spam.Also I dont remember any rules on that chat.They should add chat rules then spam button.

Last edited by adrianm63; 10-07-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
# 7
10-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Agreed, Its one of many ridiculous systems that need to be addressed but the purpose of my OP was to figure out exactly how it happens and now I know. I'm debating on weather or not i should attempt a forums Crusade to try and get it changed but something tells me it would be in vein..
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 760
# 8
10-08-2012, 01:27 AM
I have never used reported any one. Nor have I ever been chat banned. But there is a very simple way to avoid falling victim to it. Moderate yourself.

Before you type anything ask yourself, will this annoy any ordinary person to the extent that they will report me? then ask yourself, will this annoy your average idiot to the extend that they will report me?

If the answer to either of the above questions is yes, don’t type what you were going to say. It relay is as simple as that.

Personal I am all for community moderation. Not because it is better. Obviously it isn’t. But because paying for moderators wouldn’t come out of perfect worlds profits, it would come strait out of the game development budget that is already too small by far.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
# 9
10-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwstolemyname View Post
I have never used reported any one. Nor have I ever been chat banned. But there is a very simple way to avoid falling victim to it. Moderate yourself.

Before you type anything ask yourself, will this annoy any ordinary person to the extent that they will report me? then ask yourself, will this annoy your average idiot to the extend that they will report me?

If the answer to either of the above questions is yes, don?t type what you were going to say. It relay is as simple as that.

Personal I am all for community moderation. Not because it is better. Obviously it isn?t. But because paying for moderators wouldn?t come out of perfect worlds profits, it would come strait out of the game development budget that is already too small by far.
While I can agree that is a solution. It isn't a solution I agree with. Basically its to my understanding then if I wanted to I could make 5 separate accounts, report people with said accounts and have random people 24 hour chat banned for nothing more then my grins and giggles. That's the clear signs of a flawed system and it doesn't take a genius to realize that people will and HAVE taken advantage of it.

And PW-cryptic Doesn't have to pay for chat moderators, It could easily get volunteers from the game community through an application process which is what many other MMOs have done. And before you say "But they can abuse their power as well" YES but at least we would KNOW who's a moderator and if they are abusing the ban hammer we would have someone to report.. WTF do you do if you get 24 hour chat banned because you answered someones question on which energy weapon type is better and a group of trolls decides they didn't like your answer or just didn't like your user name?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,484
# 10
10-08-2012, 03:48 PM
As for doing something about the unfair 24 hour ban, not much. It would take more time for a GM to verify that it was done by a troll(s), so you're better off waiting it out. And I suggest that if you're getting banned on a regular basis, don't type in zone chat. At least that way you can type in other channels.

And I know plenty of people who would readily volunteer to be mods in game. Heck I've seen the forum mods in game, why not just extend their mod abilities to the game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 PM.