Lt. Commander
# 31
06-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nador_Ekoor View Post
Join the Feds?? Never!!! Free Cardassia

Join the Jevonite Order and fly the new improved GALOR class Cruiser. For Cardassia!!!
They seemed to be wearing their own uniforms in the new screen shots and the character creator vid. The only other one in the vid in their own uniform was the Nausicaan which are going to be on the Klingon side.
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post

Possible if Cardassians join the Feds.
I think its more likely they would join up with the Klingons or become an independent race controlled by AI. Then of course later become player controlled. But only time will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Cardassians if playable are most likely an ALLY of the Federation. Separate but because of better relations and the military protectorate status with basically almost the same access and content.
OR the Klingons might have taken them over. I really do NOT see them Allying the Klingons. The two do not get along at all.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Picture 1: I'm just loving the detail on that Galor. And my props to the artist who did the Badlands. It's beautiful.

Though one point of criticism. You shouldn't be seeing background stars when in the Badlands. After all I don't recall seeing them in DS9 nor Voyager.

Picture 2: Well, the graphics is good. And it looks like personal shields are definitely in. :p

Picture 3: Wow, looks like 8472's are going to be hard to take down.

News: Interesting to hear that Crew Ranks are dependant on yours. (You get a promotion, they get a promotion).
I think we knew everything that was said in the article. I recall previously hearing about the Crew ranks being tied to yours, etc.

I liked the Terrestrial layouts -- better than giant mushrooms or another 'fantasy setting', however I do worry it will be like SWG random PoIs -- which crates and structures placed out in the middle of no where, rather than having some sense of purpose.

Also, I am curious what 'empty' space will look like with a ship. There always seems to be a planet, asteroids, a nebula, etc. Most of space is 'empty' (dark matter excluded), so I hope we are not conically tied to zones littered with stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nador_Ekoor View Post
Join the Feds?? Never!!! Free Cardassia

Join the Jevonite Order and fly the new improved GALOR class Cruiser. For Cardassia!!!
I think the recent Path Articles seem to suggest the potential for 'Federation Sympathies', which might allow Fed players to choose to play Cardassians in the roles of tasks force or joint efforts -- much like how we are going to see the Gorn/Nausicans/Orions operating in tandem with Klingons (but more likely subjugated):
Quote:
The Cardassians take a major step toward self-sufficiency when they vote to replace the Reconstruction Committee with democratically-elected leaders. In the weeks leading up to the election, two groups dominate the debate: a civilian coalition with Elim Garak as a prominent member, and a hardliner group calling for the Cardassians to withdraw from the Federation-Cardassian Treaty of 2386 and reestablish the military.

Garak's coalition wins a narrow victory, and in its first act reforms the Detapa Council as a representative body. The council faces its first controversy when it votes to send six ships as a token force to assist the Federation's recovery efforts in Romulan space. Popular opinion is against the decision, and polls show that most Cardassians feel that they should reserve their resources. The Federation Council's decision to cut funding for Cardassian reconstruction by 30 percent makes aid to the Romulans even less popular, and support for the council plummets.

Speaking to reporters from the shattered remains of the University of Culat, Elim Garak defended the Detapa Council's actions. "We've seen what suspicion and backroom deals have brought us," Garak said. "We know what happens when we turn our backs on the rest of the galaxy and just worry about what happens on our own street, in our own city, on our own planet. Maybe it's time to try something different."

Source: http://www.startrekonline.com/timeline/2389

So if Garak's government position is not broken by the time of STO, it would appear that the Cardassians are aligned with the Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm with Vorador: best ship yet.

At this point I have no more substantive complaints to make regarding ship appearance, especially bearing in mind that this is a MMORPG, not Crysis. If all ships from now on look this good, "how ships look" falls off the bottom of the complaint chart, I think.

And if they can be made to look even better in the time between now and Launch Day?

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
I think the recent Path Articles seem to suggest the potential for 'Federation Sympathies', which might allow Fed players to choose to play Cardassians in the roles of tasks force or joint efforts -- much like how we are going to see the Gorn/Nausicans/Orions operating in tandem with Klingons (but more likely subjugated):

So if Garak's government position is not broken by the time of STO, it would appear that the Cardassians are aligned with the Federation.
However, his party's first two decisions along with continuing the previous decision of dismantling the military...has certainly changed popular opinion and continued votes which support the Federation's agenda will certainly destroy their chances of maintaining control. Looks like there will eventually be a civil war within Cardassia...IF the Federation aided the elected government and won, this is the only way I see Cardassia supporting the Federation. But if a civil war is to occur, it needs to happen within the next 3-5 years in order for the Cardassians to recover again and make them playable within the Federation.

Someone said the Cardassians would ally closely with the Klingons, I don't see this happening...the Cardassian's hatred for Klingons is much greater than their hatred for the Federation. It's also a trust issue...If I hate both, but must choose one...which one do I trust more would end up being the question.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Looked at the first picture, cool, Cardassians. I'm a little bit of a fan of their ships.

Looked at the second picture. Okay, good to see a little more of the ground stuff.

Looked at the third. Took a closer look at the alien in the armor...

HOLY FLIPPIN COW!!!
Lt. Commander
# 39 More guild commands?
06-19-2009, 11:18 PM
From the Article..

--
1UP: Finally, will the player ever have the chance of attaining the rank of Admiral and be put in charge of a fleet of ships, or to become Starfleet Commander?

CZ: Admiral, yes. Commander of Starfleet? I don't know about that. How would you decide which player to put in charge of all of the others?
---

What about a Guild Command during a major conflict? Every fleet needs a C2 (Command & Control) ship to direct others for a more coordinated attack. Could put some extra commands in there which can utilize group assignment hot keys much like we do for games like Starcraft and ******** single player games. [Select a group of units, ctrl + 1 for group assignment, give attack command for over here...]

That kind of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Galor- YES!

Ground Combat- YES!

8472- Ye..... Wha?...really?
8472 in armor- ..... *Scratches head* Are you sure?....
8472 In alpha quadrant vs Cardassians- That's it! *throws arms up* i'm gonna go join my DnD group and use my Half-Orc monk

Over all good stuff, It will take some time to accept 8472 depending on how they are implemented. But they should not (my apologies paulo999) even be considered as playable. They're too badass for PC characters. TO make them playable would mean to nerf them down in the name of "balance" and this is the one race that made VOY plausible.