Lt. Commander
# 21
10-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I tend to agree... 1 man fleets shouldn be allowed to exist... Im talking handles here...

I am curious as to your reasoning on this.
Captain
# 22
10-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlar View Post
I am curious as to your reasoning on this.
I am curious too. I could say there should be no fleets bigger than 300 because most people don't really get to know each other and the senior members usually form a cliche that shuts out the lower ranks. In fact I hear all the time how people are commiting their time and resources to build the king his space castle and the serfs are excluded fro getting the good stuff - unless the have contributed collosall amounts of stuff.

Having these starbases is just one way Cryptic has gated access to certain content - so you have to join a fleet if you want access to that content - how fair is that?
Empire Veteran
# 23
10-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
He he Levi3, you're mad mate! Are you gonna tell us how much real cash you spent? You're at the same level as our 300 man fleet with over 150 contributors and even there I've spent way too much cash and time.

However well done, an incredible effort, awesome in fact and I doubt anyone will every beat you as a solo fleet.
It can be done, but it does require some extensive time and the occasional real dollar. The real dollar is mainly to invest in zen points to Dilithium conversion, plus to buy keys to sell on the exchange to provide funds for those hard to find Doff's

It is true, that if you are a player with your own Fleet with no additional members, and are a casual player, than you're S.O.L. - That is if you are expecting to make it to at LEAST tier 3 within a year - its not going to happen.

I admit that I am a diehard STO player from the moment I get out of work in the am to the afternoon. Farming Dilithium with many of my alts, and farming doff packs twice a week. However; if I was a super casual player, like most people are who play STO, then I agree it is a very difficult process if you're impatient.

So here is the issue in regards to solo fleets:

A) Casual players with limited amount of Chatacter alts, slow pace Dilithium farming & Weekly Doff farming - Will have a difficult time in progressing quickly. Can be done, but will be extremely slow (The 1yr or 2yrs estimation kind to even reach tier2) - This is especially true if you're a Silver player.

B) REAL Money at play - Some folks are able to have that extra spending cash than others - this is very much true. There is even a rumor that one player keeps buying $15,000.00 dollars U.S. worth of zen just to control the Dilithium market. If that is true (which I find hard to believe) Than that individual is insanely rich or a complete utter fool.

The thing is that some folks are well off in real life that they are able to spend $5 dollars to several hundred dollars on a weekly basis. In my case I spend $15 to 20 a month, which is around the same price I would be paying if I was a gold Subscriber - I am gold but of the LIFER kind.

C) Its all about how many alts you own - The more alts the more Doff and Dilithium to Zen exchange you will have, its that simple. The only thing that you need to concern about is acquiring the huge amounts of commodities such as shield batteries, phaser heavy turret sat etc... the stuff that real currency cannot buy.

So it is possible to reach tier 3 within 3 or 4 months with dedication, many many alts, and the occasional $5 or $10 dollars a week or month, however; reaching tier 4 and above is an entirely different story.

Last edited by stark2k; 10-09-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Captain
# 24
10-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
B) REAL Money at play - Some folks are able to have that extra spending cash than others - this is very much true. There is even a rumor that one player keeps buying $15,000.00 dollars U.S. worth of zen just to control the Dilithium market. If that is true (which I find hard to believe) Than that individual is insanely rich or a complete utter fool.

This IS not a rumour as such I believe. Someone is controling the dilth market. Since I have been around I have never seen it as constant to 1 point all day long as it has been recently. With almost equal amounts on the sell and buy side. Watch real markets and this dilth market this does not occur without manipulation. It's too static, to regular, to even - does not happen in a un-manipulated market.

Who is doing this? Is it one person or a few or is it Cryptic? But for sure it is just to stable with no price swings intra-day to be natural.
Career Officer
# 25
10-09-2012, 06:21 AM
I would support dropping the team requirement to 3 and including a nontrivial EC cost. That would accomplish several goals.

I don't have a problem with people making one-person fleets for the purpose of RP or storage, but anyone who is doing it because they want to "own" a fleet (ego) or that they think they can make a Tier 5 base without much difficulty (delusions of grandeur) really should take a moment to pause and reflect. Don't be upset if no one wants to join a 2-3 person fleet with a Tier 0 starbase. They not only have little membership and are lacking starbase progression (making them 3 months behind everyone else and missing all the feature projects) but will have extreme difficulty in recruitment because only of the first two mentioned factors. If people were told upfront that having a max-level starbase would require 1 million fleet marks, 20 million dilithium, and at least 1 billion energy credits that may have saved a lot of people's time and energy and better pooled people's resources.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Captain
# 26
10-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
If people were told upfront that having a max-level starbase would require 1 million fleet marks, 20 million dilithium, and at least 1 billion energy credits that may have saved a lot of people's time and energy and better pooled people's resources.
Didn't one of the Dev's say that the cap for dilth would be in the 1-2 million range? They certainly blew that quote into a billion pieces of dilth!!
Career Officer
# 27
10-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Didn't one of the Dev's say that the cap for dilth would be in the 1-2 million range? They certainly blew that quote into a billion pieces of dilth!!
Yes, Heretic had said that tentatively the Tier 5 starbase upgrade project would be 1.25 million dilithium (and that active projects at that tier would cost around 30,000 dilithium with upgrades about 3x that). Currently the Tier 4 starbase upgrade project (that is, not counting the shipyard, fabricator, array, etc.) is 1.9 million dilithium and the dilithium costs are approximately tripling per tier (note, Tier 4 shipyard/fabricator/etc is 900k dilithium). Just the Tier 3 active projects have dilithium costs in ballpark of 54,000 dilithium.

Tentative dilithium costs as of June 6, 2012:
Tier 1 starbase upgrade: 22,000
Tier 5 starbase upgrade: 1,250,000
Tier 5 shipyard/comm array/fabricator: ~90,000
Active projects at lowest tier: 3,700
Active projects at max tier: ~30,000

Actual dilithium costs:
Tier 1 starbase upgrade: 64,800
Tier *4* starbase upgrade; 1,900,000
Tier *4* shipyard/comm array/fabricator: 900,000
Active projects at lowest tier: 10,000
Tier *3* Active projects: ~54,000

To be fair to Heretic, he did say it was the "subject-to-change Dilithium cost" but c'mon? That's no small tweak.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)

Last edited by phyrexianhero; 10-09-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I join a fleet. Im at 180k fleet credits contributed towards the starbase. The fleet is almost tier 3. And these arent easy credits. Im not on when the projects flip. So i dont the expertise and fleet mark points. This is doff huntin and buying the consumables.

Anywho. A little over a month almost 2 tiers and guess who still isnt given access to purchase items. Yeah this guy. That is what is broken. I would rather start my own and take time to work for the items than bust my arse and them beg someone to let me get the items. Just to be denied.
Captain
# 29
10-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenjacen24 View Post
I join a fleet. Im at 180k fleet credits contributed towards the starbase. The fleet is almost tier 3. And these arent easy credits. Im not on when the projects flip. So i dont the expertise and fleet mark points. This is doff huntin and buying the consumables.

Anywho. A little over a month almost 2 tiers and guess who still isnt given access to purchase items. Yeah this guy. That is what is broken. I would rather start my own and take time to work for the items than bust my arse and them beg someone to let me get the items. Just to be denied.
Well when my Tier 3 solo is completed in 14 days i will be recruiting people who want to join a pretty much leaderless fleet - I am just a doffer now and building the base that is it. Anyone who reads my post knows that I am pretty non-conformist to put it mildly. I am really against the king of the castle type fleets. That said the people jioning my fleet from tier 3 onward will have to know that this is going to be small - no more than 10 people - and the solo objective at this point is to build the starbase and nothing else.

I figure if I can make it to T3 by myself, than 10 people should have no problem completing it within the next year. I also don't think provisions should be restricted as long as the person contributes. Of course keeping the fleet size to 10 with the requirements to T4 each person will end up with more than a million easy. I think I have 35 ship provisions - and I only want a couple defiants - the starbase and shipyard will just collect dust without anyone else.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Levi3 im in. Message me when ur ready.