Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 37
# 31
10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I got an LTS at the end of Open Beta and am presently just under 2 weeks from my 1000 days... and for me this does feel like a bit of a downer.

I was looking forward to my 1000 day ship... feeling as though I'd earnt it by waiting my 1000 days for it. Having these rewards helped keep me playing the game as I knew every 100 days I had some new "shiny" coming to play with... it was something I looked forward to as much as FE's and the like... and it kept me logging in each week/month. (And yes - most of the rewards aren't that much... but its still nice to have something to look forward!)

Now... it looks like we're just giving everyone everything as quick as we can... levelling is now super-quick... LTS perks are given out regardless of time played... there's just less and less incentive to keep with the title!

At the end of the day this doesn't really effect me that much... I still get my ship (2 weeks early)... but this has me more concerned about the longevity of this title and the incentive people have to stick around.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,368
# 32
10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
You guys are so funny ... well not buts lets start to debunk things.

1) TIME!

Until early this year you Subscribers were paying for ONE thing, THE ABILITY TO PLAY THE GAME!!!

This IS what the subscription model happen to be and now for ...

2) Veterans Rewards.

The PURPOSE of Veteran Rewards is to keep subscribers paying every month and no I mean PAYING, not PLAYING because the system does not track days online and only subscription time.

With F2P it seems you people got COLLECTIVE AMNESIA and forgot that WAS the purpose of Veterans Rewards and now it was a "perk" of being Gold, never mind there was no Gold members prior to the F2P model and so it was never a "perk".

3)Litimetime.

Now Lifetime Membership is kind of a problem, prior to F2P it was "give us a lot of crash and never pay us again" to play the game and they got a few perks along with it, with F2P model that ceased to exist so it was paying to play a Liberated Borg and getting the Veteran Rewards perk.

So it was pointless, everyone that had the cash and the desire became a Lifetime Member long before the F2P model, the ones that did not AND were subscribers were pretty much being asked to sink $299 (Currently $199) so they could play a Liberated Borg.

Now the new Free to Play members looked at it and did the same as the ones that had cash and the desire back in the subscription days, the ones that had the cash and the desire became Lifetime Members and the rest did not ... but reason why they did not was because they would have to be ... oh, almost 3 YEARS before they could get the Veteran Rewards.

In conclusion.

This is not about time spend in the game, this is about trying to sell Lifetime Membership that is increasingly harder because the pre-F2P players already brought it and the ones that did not are highly unlikely to buy it and the F2P era new players either brought Lifetime Membership and the ones that did not are even more unlikely to buy it that "Gold Members".

Oh I am not going to get it, I do say at least its a sales pitch that makes me consider it as before it was something I ruled out ... I do wish they also reward players by play time and also by money spend, to be fair ... unlike the current segregation system of Silver/Gold.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 608
# 33
10-09-2012, 06:45 PM
If the veteran awards involved work that was beyond just sitting around waiting for the timer whether you are in game or not, then older lifetimers might have a good argument.

But personally I can see why it would bother people that waited this long, although logically I'm not sure making an issue out of it would be warranted.

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,979
# 34
10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm surprised they kept the sale going while they announced this. I would more think they'd end the sale and then say "Oh by the way... go LTS and get all the perks right now!"
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
I am excited about getting the rewards from the veteran program. Come January 2013, I break even and play gold for free. Cool Stuff. Thanks.

However, I do agree with the concern of original post. The new forum title, and the in game titles give the holder a bit of distinction, and its a justifiable vanity. I view the in game titles like the accolades they currently. I have to run 300 STFs to get the Fed Medal of Honor Accolade, why not require 1000 days sub for Guardian. I can already put "career officer" if I want to show I'm a lifetime member.

I guess we'll all find out October 11.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
# 36 odd thinking...
10-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargan View Post
Because it's a VETERAN rewards program, that's why! We're the ones that have loyally supported the game from the beginning. Why should someone who hasn't been in the game for 1000 days get the 1000 day veteran title? This is really a kick in the junk to all the STO loyalists.

If people really truly loyally support the game then they should be pleased at anything that will add to the success of the game and to its longevity. If this incentive encourages more people the buy life time subscriptions then GREAT!!! I have 2 LTS around the 740 day range. One could say, "why am i still waiting for things i paid for 2 yeas ago?" It is a valid point of view also.
Rather than be concerned about trivialities like jumping monkey pets, titles and most of the junk that comes with the veteran rewards programs, why dont they give gold plays a discount to go LTS or better yet stop charging the monthly gold players as soon as they have contributed the cost of LTS. That to me would be something of value and a deserving reward for people that have paid for gold.

As for how long have we played bragging rights, there likely should be something done for such people that care about those things. Maybe a different colour for forums and/or bigger fonts, medals the can be pinned to the uniform and can be read in player bios when other players check you out, unique titles "Beta Boys or Babes", bumper stickers for your ships, "Ive been playing since the big beta bang and all i got was this stinking shuttle" etc... Im just gently teasing because i think the original players deserve respect and credit for playing amidst the beta bugs.
Perhaps the powers that be should look at these things when they come up with rewards.

1. How long you have played
2. How long/much you have paid
3. How actively have you played
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,929
# 37
10-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Are players getting it for free, can silver players grind their hearts content and buy it off the store. No

So yes it's fair that someone is spending 300 bucks and getting more for it than before.

Yeah we knew they were going to have a ship for 1000 day vets, but we did not know what it was going t be. It could of been a reskin of the Luna class, or a reskin Odyssey class.
Who cares what ship or how much. The point is people waited in line for a year and here comes someone waltzing past us that didn't have to wait a single second and to get all the rewards we had to wait 100 days between to acquire.

So you're saying that's fair? You saying if you waited in line for that long, it wouldn't bother you a single iota? I find that hard to believe.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
# 38 Good Post
10-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
You guys are so funny ... well not buts lets start to debunk things.

1) TIME!

Until early this year you Subscribers were paying for ONE thing, THE ABILITY TO PLAY THE GAME!!!

This IS what the subscription model happen to be and now for ...

2) Veterans Rewards.

The PURPOSE of Veteran Rewards is to keep subscribers paying every month and no I mean PAYING, not PLAYING because the system does not track days online and only subscription time.

With F2P it seems you people got COLLECTIVE AMNESIA and forgot that WAS the purpose of Veterans Rewards and now it was a "perk" of being Gold, never mind there was no Gold members prior to the F2P model and so it was never a "perk".

3)Litimetime.

Now Lifetime Membership is kind of a problem, prior to F2P it was "give us a lot of crash and never pay us again" to play the game and they got a few perks along with it, with F2P model that ceased to exist so it was paying to play a Liberated Borg and getting the Veteran Rewards perk.

So it was pointless, everyone that had the cash and the desire became a Lifetime Member long before the F2P model, the ones that did not AND were subscribers were pretty much being asked to sink $299 (Currently $199) so they could play a Liberated Borg.

Now the new Free to Play members looked at it and did the same as the ones that had cash and the desire back in the subscription days, the ones that had the cash and the desire became Lifetime Members and the rest did not ... but reason why they did not was because they would have to be ... oh, almost 3 YEARS before they could get the Veteran Rewards.

In conclusion.

This is not about time spend in the game, this is about trying to sell Lifetime Membership that is increasingly harder because the pre-F2P players already brought it and the ones that did not are highly unlikely to buy it and the F2P era new players either brought Lifetime Membership and the ones that did not are even more unlikely to buy it that "Gold Members".

Oh I am not going to get it, I do say at least its a sales pitch that makes me consider it as before it was something I ruled out ... I do wish they also reward players by play time and also by money spend, to be fair ... unlike the current segregation system of Silver/Gold.

I just read this, it is a great post and agree very much with what you say. i started playing about two years ago. i upgraded to LTS a week or two into the game and would have got it from the get go had i known you could. I then bought a second account and went LTS right away. Why? Because i knew that it would be cheaper in the long term. The longer i played the less it cost me each month; at least under the old system. I dont regret FTP as my investment in the game would be pointless if the game was shut down. The same goes for the beta players, what would be the point of boasting about playing a game early that no longer exists??? Any new blood and cash injected in STO protects all the investments we have made with money and time into our game...
Anyway, people read this fellows post 2 or 3 times, he is bang on!!!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
# 39 800 Lobi
10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azniadeet View Post
As a 670-odd day veteran, I can sympathize with those upset. There is definitely something to be said for having the elite symbol of a veteran ship... I'm happy to be getting that sweet ship, but at the same time, I'm upset that I'm just going to be one of hundreds that get it all at once, rather than earning it myself ~a year from now.

I need a new skin for my Ferengi Na'Far shuttle so people know i paid the full 800 lobi price!!!! not the pauper 300 price it sells for now. Yes i need people to know how big my lobes are!!!
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,990
# 40
10-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Who cares what ship or how much. The point is people waited in line for a year and here comes someone waltzing past us that didn't have to wait a single second and to get all the rewards we had to wait 100 days between to acquire.

So you're saying that's fair? You saying if you waited in line for that long, it wouldn't bother you a single iota? I find that hard to believe.
Nope, because I'm not waiting in line for anything. What line is there a line outside Quinn's office for rewards. Are vets sitting in ESD and just waiting for stuff every 100 days. I barely think about the vet rewards till maybe a week, then I get it and move on.


Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 PM.