Empire Veteran
# 91
10-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Whoa, I just read the front page blog, I can't say I like the idea that new lifetime subs will get all the current veteran rewards. It demeans the nature of veteran rewards.
I don't see how it "demeans" the nature of the reward. The concept of "vet days" is an old school pre-PWE practice in the part of Cryptic. Its a game, simple as that. Life time are extremely expensive, so such a perk given instantly is fine by me - by the way I'm (852/900) so I'm only about 5 months away in receiving the 1000 day Vet award. Whether I get it now or 5 months from now I could care less - Lifers have been screwed from the get go, especially at the dawn of F2P - this helps to ease a Lifer's woe.

Quote:
Veteran Rewards were something special, something that long time players could really benefit from..
Again what so special about them? What benefit did it bring? The only thing I see was an excuse for folks to display their new shiny toy at best. Bragging rights that you own a LT account and have been playing since ancient Rome. Meaningless if you ask me. The accounts are very expensive to begin with, and every LIFER got screwed balled ever since F2P began. The Cryptic love for Lifers faded - everyone knows that.

Quote:
but now everyone can get them with new lifetime subs? I don't like that, it makes the veteran rewards less unique and meaningful. It dumbs it down.
Less unique? Meaningful? Dumbed down? What exactly does that all mean anyways? Why shouldn't a new comer Lifer received the perks that we already had enjoyed for over a year now. It pointless to be honest. You can still feel unique if thats what you want since Silver and Gold subscribers do not get a Lifer's perk.

Quote:
Pretty soon everyone's gonna have all the same rewards at Gold/Lifetime/Long-Time Players, and there will be no differences between long-time players and new players. Perhaps that is their goal, to meld the two? But as a long-time player, who is past 900 days, been playing since open beta, and who bought the lifetime in year 1 of this game, I feel like you are taking uniqueness away from me. Making my 3 years of playing, less meaningful. We should be rewarded for our time in this game, and just giving it away to new lifetime subs takes that away from those of us that have been in this game for several years.
So just because you were first in line it gives you the right to protest a sound business practice on Lifer account sales. You're still going to play STO regadless, you still will reap the benefits. Its utterly pointless in my eyes to whine about such a insignificant matter.

You worried about being a clone in a video game. In the end its a game and thats all that matters. Play Hard, Make Friends, and enjoy the game
Republic Veteran
# 92
10-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavadus View Post
I don't see why anyone would care. New LTS purchasers will not in any capacity influence previous LTS purchasers' gameplay.

STO has virtually no incentive for one to purchase a monthly subscription beyond the foundry, let alone a LTS. This was a great idea. In fact, I might actually buy a LTS now. Before this change I would never have even considered it.
Because you'll get, what, Veteran Rewards? Really? Obvious troll is obvious.

Regardless, the idea is that they've ruined the concept of "Veteran Rewards." One no longer has to wait the 1,000 days to get all Veteran Rewards... he can now pay for it. They've essentially put it in the C-Store. Which is LAME.
Original Join Date: January 2010
Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
Republic Veteran
# 93
10-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarikun View Post
Because you'll get, what, Veteran Rewards? Really? Obvious troll is obvious.

Regardless, the idea is that they've ruined the concept of "Veteran Rewards." One no longer has to wait the 1,000 days to get all Veteran Rewards... he can now pay for it. They've essentially put it in the C-Store. Which is LAME.
Except it's not in the C store, if it was then silver player can grind till they died and buy it with Zen.

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party

Republic Veteran
# 94
10-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Except it's not in the C store, if it was then silver player can grind till they died and buy it with Zen.
Ah, well technicality is true. Nicely done sir.

But regardless, the big idea, IMO, is that Veteran Rewards should not be something you can dish out cash to get immediately. They're something you patiently wait for, having paid for, until you've been subscribed the proper amount of time.

PWE has ruined that concept.
Lt. Commander
# 95
10-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
What is making people pissed here is the manner in which this is happenening.

A lot of us have been wainting for the longest time to finally get to 1000 days.

The suspense until we finally get some infos on what to expect, then the leaked pictures teasing us, then finally the official blog congratulating us for our loyalty and how the rewards are Cryptic'S way of thanking us for spending all this time with their game and then turning around 5 minutes later putting up another blog and sell out those "meaningful" rewards for the most loyal fans to anyone with some spare change...
BINGO!!!

Although i am more worried about why they are doing it......seems a bit of a desprate act to sell more LTS by changing the rewards thing at such a late date....sound almost like a everything must go sale.
Republic Veteran
# 96
10-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire2000 View Post
BINGO!!!

Although i am more worried about why they are doing it......seems a bit of a desprate act to sell more LTS by changing the rewards thing at such a late date....sound almost like a everything must go sale.
I second. That's... one of the big reasons. They built it up like it was a Veteran thing, then turned around to sell it for a quick buck.
Captain
# 97
10-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
BINGO!!!

So is Season 7 going to be the last for STO? As it is for most T.V. shows?
Republic Veteran
# 98
10-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
So is Season 7 going to be the last for STO? As it is for most T.V. shows?
I wouldn't count them out yet... but this DOES seem a little suspicious.

On the other hand, they have said they're looking for "Bonuses" to add to the Lifetime Subscription. So it also wouldn't seem remiss that they somehow thought this was a good idea, simply because of that.
Career Officer
# 99
10-09-2012, 11:50 PM
I only started playing STO when it became F2P and after 3 weeks I went LTS despite literally everyone telling me its a bad or uneconomical idea. As of today, I am merely a 250 day vet so the next patch day is going to be Christmas for me.

The way I see it Lifers are like me, people who love Star Trek and can see themselves spending years a game set in the Trek universe. If you really want to hate me for getting 1000-day rewards without having played 1000 days, I'm alright with it as it does not influence my love for all things Trek. However, I do have to question what are you doing in a Star Trek universe without adopting the good values Star Trek enshrines.
Career Officer
# 100
10-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Quote:
BINGO!!!

Maybe you would prefer to see your Vet Rewards remain the old way.

Then probably no one would buy a Lifetime sub at this point.

But! You would be very special and unique with your Veteran ship. Only a very few of you are at 1000 days most likely.

You would enjoy your uniqueness, bragging rights and be showing off to everyone around until...

STO shuts down next month.

So... If selling Vet Rewards and goodies or anything can keep the game going so you can also enjoy your new stuff, why blame Cryptic for doing anything they can to get people to put money in this game?

Because in the end, anything that can keep the game going is worth doing, even selling Vet Rewards if need be. They will just rename the whole thing and move on from here. They need money, and everything is on the table and opened to modification. Like they say, Gameplay Experience May Change.

Vet Reward concept is an old school concept that is not very compatible with FTP MMOs. Even old City of Heroes got rid of it when it gone FTP.

Vet Rewards were not making much sense anymore and were not worth continuing because the more time passes, Devs end creating goodies that will be usable by always less and less players that manage to reach the far end. It is counter-productive. Well, nowadays it is viewed like that.