Career Officer
# 101
10-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
So is Season 7 going to be the last for STO? As it is for most T.V. shows?
Nope.

Any MMO that doesn't die at launch inevitably tends to live on for quite some time, or is killed by issues unrelated to success or lack thereof.

All this will do is tick off some (more) people and generate (yet more) bad word of mouth, which in turn will slow down the influx of new players to a degree, as bad word of mouth will tend to do.
# 102
10-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tali9999 View Post
Maybe you would prefer to see your Vet Rewards remain the old way.

Then probably no one would buy a Lifetime sub at this point.

But! You would be very special and unique with your Veteran ship. Only a very few of you are at 1000 days most likely.

You would enjoy your uniqueness, bragging rights and be showing off to everyone around until...

STO shuts down next month.

So... If selling Vet Rewards and goodies or anything can keep the game going so you can also enjoy your new stuff, why blame Cryptic for doing anything they can to get people to put money in this game?

Because in the end, anything that can keep the game going is worth doing, even selling Vet Rewards if need be. They will just rename the whole thing and move on from here. They need money, and everything is on the table and opened to modification. Like they say, Gameplay Experience May Change.

Vet Reward concept is an old school concept that is not very compatible with FTP MMOs. Even old City of Heroes got rid of it when it gone FTP.

Vet Rewards were not making much sense anymore and were not worth continuing because the more time passes, Devs end creating goodies that will be usable by always less and less players that manage to reach the far end. It is counter-productive. Well, nowadays it is viewed like that.
Yeah, but the thing is...Veteran Rewards... not many people are actually going to pay $300, or even $200 for LTS. Adding Veteran Rewards won't make it more appetizing to pay that much money for.

As it stands, it's a money-grab that's not going to get them what they want... all it's doing is pissing off many old-time subscribers (Gold and Lifer), pleasing a VERY SMALL group of late-lifers, and if they're lucky, getting a FEW people to buy new LTS.

It's not going to be too effective...
Original Join Date: January 2010
Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
Career Officer
# 103
10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tali9999 View Post
...until...

STO shuts down next month.
Pfft.

Get serious. Hyperbole undermines your case, it doesn't make it.

It's DAMNED hard to get an MMO to actually shut down due to revenue issues since it's comparatively cheap to put one into maintenance mode and run it in a closet somewhere.

And Cryptic's big seller is Zen by way of people trying to get lockbox keys. It's not subscriptions of any type, and more or less sub sales is never going to sink or float the boat.

This is a money grab. Don't mistake this for a fleeting attempt to keep the lights on. It's not.
# 104
10-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsical View Post
The way I see it Lifers are like me, people who love Star Trek and can see themselves spending years a game set in the Trek universe. If you really want to hate me for getting 1000-day rewards without having played 1000 days, I'm alright with it as it does not influence my love for all things Trek.
That is a very enlightened POV .

Quote:
However, I do have to question what are you doing in a Star Trek universe without adopting the good values Star Trek enshrines.
The "good values" that Trek enshrines also include busting your butt at SF academy , and a slooooooooooow climb up the ranks .

This move by Cryptic is akin to the JJ style "from cadet-to-captain , meet the New Captain Kirk !" .
Getting shoved out an air-lock and running away from an arctic monster does not qualify you to captaincy . Neither does pounding Spock's fist with your face .
JJ Kirk is no more Veteran than the next guy/gal who have $200 to burn .
Career Officer
# 105
10-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarikun View Post
But regardless, the big idea, IMO, is that Veteran Rewards should not be something you can dish out cash to get immediately. They're something you patiently wait for, having paid for, until you've been subscribed the proper amount of time.

PWE has ruined that concept.
It amazes me how ludicrous it sounds when people cry fowl because in essence they desire folks to wait in line, for "PERKS," out of all things. As I stated before that these perks should be given off the bat, It is akin to buying a collector's edition Plus.

The concept of "Vet rewards" is best removed all together; If anything, the Vet Rewards should just be in "TITLE" only. Much like accolades for accomplishments.

Why does it matter if you get it now or later? In the end you'll attain it. Thing is, its an ego thing going around stating "Look at my shiny Toy." I deserve it first because I played STO since day one, no other need apply.

I am happy that new Lifers get all the virtual perks right off the bat - I say again, play the game, enjoy STO, make friends, and continue to support STO

Last edited by stark2k; 10-10-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Captain
# 106
10-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappyj0yj0y View Post

This is a money grab. Don't mistake this for a fleeting attempt to keep the lights on. It's not.
How do you know the din't run out of cups ? Again .
Republic Veteran
# 107
10-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Well, the money grubbing has sunk to a new low. On the other hand, I had 11 days left till 1000 days now it only a couple of hours.
Lt. Commander
# 108
10-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
How do you know the din't run out of cups ? Again .
They dont drink out of cups any more, they drink out of boxes. lol
Career Officer
# 109
10-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarikun View Post
Yeah, but the thing is...Veteran Rewards... not many people are actually going to pay $300, or even $200 for LTS. Adding Veteran Rewards won't make it more appetizing to pay that much money for.

As it stands, it's a money-grab that's not going to get them what they want... all it's doing is pissing off many old-time subscribers (Gold and Lifer), pleasing a VERY SMALL group of late-lifers, and if they're lucky, getting a FEW people to buy new LTS.

It's not going to be too effective...
Actually, i believe alot of Gold subscibers will do like me and jump on the LFT opportunity because it is REALLY a WIN WIN situation this time.

Without yesterday advertisement, i would have kept my monthly Gold sub going just as usual because i was not seeing any good reason to pay upfront for Months of Subs.

Look. 2 days ago, if i decided to buy a Lifetime Sub, i would have get almost NOTHING. Nothing fast enough anyway to enjoy in a timely manner. Who wants to buy a Lifetime subscription in an old game where you would still have to wait 700 days before grabbing the coolest reward?

Today, it IS different. Yes, you pay upfront the value of 13 months of subscription but you DO get all the good stuff right here and there! Let me tell you that ALOT of Gold subbers are thinking fast right now and doing maths.

If you like STO and plan to play it for at least one more year, buying a Lifetime sub today is REALLY a clever move.
Career Officer
# 110
10-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappyj0yj0y View Post
Pfft.

Get serious. Hyperbole undermines your case, it doesn't make it.

It's DAMNED hard to get an MMO to actually shut down due to revenue issues since it's comparatively cheap to put one into maintenance mode and run it in a closet somewhere.

And Cryptic's big seller is Zen by way of people trying to get lockbox keys. It's not subscriptions of any type, and more or less sub sales is never going to sink or float the boat.

Go tell that to my City Of Heroes friends and to NCSoft.

Sometimes, it is simpler to shut down a game than put it into maintenance mode.