Captain
Feedback, including any notice of typos would be extremely helpful.

Title: Trojan Horse

Faction: Federation

Level: 41+

Description: Starfleet Intelligence has a daring and risky assignment for you. If successful, this mission could deliver a final crushing defeat to the Borg collective.

Author's note: This is a shuttle mission into a Borg cube. It's designed to be combat-heavy with very little text, puzzles, or even story. Warning: It is made for the experienced player. Your shuttle needs to have the best gear, and you need to use all your skills, doffs, batteries, and other tricks to make it through alive. This is not an easy mission.

Playtime: 30-45 minutes.
Ensign
# 2 Awesome mIssion
10-09-2012, 05:40 AM
This is a amazing mission, one of the best I have played to date and one of your best. The maps are superb, the story is awesome and the Exit the nest map would be one awesome shuttle race map
Keep up the good work
=/\= LLAP =/\=
Join date Jan 2010
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Brilliant job with that map. Brutal on framerates - murdered my laptop and then forced me to drop to medium on my desktop. But still beautiful and worth the extra effort.

The Thunderchild console is 100% cheating on this mission - tears through the probes in a few hits.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
10-10-2012, 09:43 AM
It was very interesting watching this mission evolve from a tester and spectator's standpoint, watching the balancing process and seeing how difficult it is to balance for a shuttle mission. Lest we forget, STO didn't have shuttles at launch, and the Foundry was not designed with shuttles in mind.

Kirkfat and I tested this mission as a team at a time when he was using fighter groups (Not sure if that's where he ended up), and we got absolutely slaughtered. Then we tested it separately and I got through it, though it was a challenge, while he continued to get pwned.

Still, nothing about the difficulty takes away from the brilliant map design. Well done KF!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 5
10-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
It was very interesting watching this mission evolve from a tester and spectator's standpoint, watching the balancing process and seeing how difficult it is to balance for a shuttle mission. Lest we forget, STO didn't have shuttles at launch, and the Foundry was not designed with shuttles in mind.

Kirkfat and I tested this mission as a team at a time when he was using fighter groups (Not sure if that's where he ended up), and we got absolutely slaughtered. Then we tested it separately and I got through it, though it was a challenge, while he continued to get pwned.

Still, nothing about the difficulty takes away from the brilliant map design. Well done KF!
Thanks Drogyn. I had to finally accept that there really wasn't much that I could do regarding the difficulty. The mobs are now weak orions and one weak Borg as the space boss. I can't get through it, lol. But, others can.

I can't use the fighters because they prove nearly impossible to target in the core map.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
10-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah fighters don't automatically have HUD reticules around them anymore. I had to tab-target, which I usually do anyway.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
11-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Played it, loved it.

I may have to play it again with proper Best of Both World Soundtrack running.

That was the first time in STO that I was standing in a room that looked like the original Borg ship from Q Who and BoBW with the large empty center area and levels and rows of rows of borg alcoves.

And that center core space map looked as close the the super zoom out shot from First Contact as you can probably get... well it also looked a lot like the Death Star from inside, but I guess, but what can you do.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Just finished playing this. I kind of cheated a little by going in a pimped-out Oberth instead of a pimped-out shuttle (I don't get much use out of it, and thought "eh, it's pretty much just an extra-beefy shuttle anyway"). That may have been a bad idea, as the space fights were not difficult at all. Only three encounters of two assimilation probes each in the whole first space section. Took a while to whittle them down, but they never so much as dented my shields. I'm going to retry it in a proper shuttle, and see what the difference is.

The escape section dragged on a bit, and I felt like it could use a bit more of an "outrunning the fireball" type feel (a lot more explosions, and set behind their proximity triggers so they seem to chase the player). As-is they feel too few and too spaced out.

Other than that, it was great! Brilliant map construction. Must of taken you forever, but damn it looked fantastic! The ground part was tense and tough.

*EDIT* I just replayed it in a runabout. Yeah, that was pretty satisfyingly tough. Full MACO set, plus top-tier weapons and special consoles, and I still had to use every ability and perk to stay alive. My fault for thinking the Oberth was just a better shuttle. Guess I just got so used to it being useless in regular missions that I assumed it was that low, LOL!

Last edited by connectamabob; 11-09-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
11-09-2012, 06:42 AM
It is really fun pretenting that you are on something of a timer here when you escape.

i knew it wasn't necessary to be fast, but as soon as the Cube went up, I hit full impuls and raced toward the exit. Takes a bit of piloting skills to pull it off, as the walls come really fast toward you and that effectively put the explosions behind me.

Would it be possible to actually add a timer that would block the exit if you fail it? Not practical I know.. because you can't make the player loop the chapter and make him retry, but one can dream, right?
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Explosion FX props do splash damage, so it should be possible to create an explosion cluster trap that kills the player, knocking them back to the last respawn point (can we set respawn points in Foundry?). It's just a matter of sorting out the right trigger logic.

The chasing explosions idea I mentioned before, for example: if you could figure out the right spacing between the leading edge of the trigger bubbles and the explosion clusters they set off, you could force the player to keep moving at X velocity or above if he/she wants to survive.

The problem isn't really creating an exciting kill condition, but rather figuring out how to reset the trap after a respawn. Hmm, I gotta go try some stuff now....

Worst comes to worst, if there isn't a way to reset the trap, you could rewrite it so the player is killed by the trap, but then wakes up outside (or maybe in sickbay) with a boff (or quest NPC) telling them they narrowly escaped but the player got knocked out out in the process, or were beamed out the last second or something. Like the conversation when you first get into the cube, but as a post climactic cooldown instead (though in this case that would require changing the first conversation to avoid narrative repetition).

Last edited by connectamabob; 11-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.