Commander
# 11
10-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
Been there, done that, moved on to better setups.
Like?

Oh for those advising Transphasics,. The Unbuffed Plasma's do slightly more damage than the Buffed Transphasics. And it makes more sense to do Plasma's as it gives me more console slots for special ability consoles.

Thanks for the ideas so far though!
Commander
# 12
10-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I've noticed that torpedo spread splashes, and affects nearby targets even if they didn't receive their own cluster of torps. I've been using this to great effect with my Orb Weaver (I only gave up on the Varanus for now because I run STF's a lot, and the lack of a third tactical power really hurts, since STF's force you to run at least one tactical team...here's hoping for a Fleet Varanus that addresses this).

My suggestion:
Plasma torpedo in the front, and a damage console for them. Use spread 1 and 2, along with gravity well 2 and 3. Fit a couple graviton generator consoles to ensure that your targets stay tightly grouped. Then spam torpedo spreads at them. They'll take the kinetic blasts from each others' salvoes along with their own, and the DOT will help with extra hull damage.

If you're looking for a PVP build, that's a different story. I used to run my Varanus quite successfully in PVP (more kills than deaths, decent healing, tons of Ewar, and a lot of damage for a science ship), but I got tired of PVP when it got silly.
Commander
# 13
10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethon3050 View Post
I've noticed that torpedo spread splashes, and affects nearby targets even if they didn't receive their own cluster of torps. I've been using this to great effect with my Orb Weaver (I only gave up on the Varanus for now because I run STF's a lot, and the lack of a third tactical power really hurts, since STF's force you to run at least one tactical team...here's hoping for a Fleet Varanus that addresses this).

My suggestion:
Plasma torpedo in the front, and a damage console for them. Use spread 1 and 2, along with gravity well 2 and 3. Fit a couple graviton generator consoles to ensure that your targets stay tightly grouped. Then spam torpedo spreads at them. They'll take the kinetic blasts from each others' salvoes along with their own, and the DOT will help with extra hull damage.

If you're looking for a PVP build, that's a different story. I used to run my Varanus quite successfully in PVP (more kills than deaths, decent healing, tons of Ewar, and a lot of damage for a science ship), but I got tired of PVP when it got silly.
That build is exactly what I do do, only I've got universal consoles in he tactical slots
Although I've switched out the Graity well I for a Tractor beam 3. That along with tachyon beam tends to drop a shield facing

I suppose the only way I'm going to get more DPS is to loose some of the shield buff consoles for more power buffing consoles, and drop two of the universal consoles for more Tactical ones

Ok here's a stupid question, is there anyway to buff hte plasma fire burn? As that seems to be my main damage dealer. Will plasma consoles do that?
Commander
# 14
10-09-2012, 11:04 AM
In answer to my own question, the Plasma buff console adds to the plasma burn effect.
I guess I'll have to run a few more tests to see if I can buff the burn rate even further. I hope to god weapon power dosen't. The entire idea of this build was to minimise the need for weapon power.
Commander
# 15
10-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvee1 View Post
In answer to my own question, the Plasma buff console adds to the plasma burn effect.
I guess I'll have to run a few more tests to see if I can buff the burn rate even further. I hope to god weapon power dosen't. The entire idea of this build was to minimise the need for weapon power.
I've done some testing on this; weapon power setting doesn't affect the burn time OR damage, just the plasma energy weapon damage. The Plasma Infuser consoles did increase the damage done per second by the burn, but not its duration, during my testing, but the Plasma Envelope only increased the kinetic damage of the torpedoes themselves.
Commander
# 16
10-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Quote:
I've done some testing on this; weapon power setting doesn't affect the burn time OR damage, just the plasma energy weapon damage. The Plasma Infuser consoles did increase the damage done per second by the burn, but not its duration, during my testing, but the Plasma Envelope only increased the kinetic damage of the torpedoes themselves.
Then something has changed. When I stuck two Plasma envolopes on there last night my Burn damage went from 1500 to ~1700 over X seconds

I did notice on the reman set that it gives +15 to particle genrators on the prototype plasma projectile ability, so one other thing I'm going to test is if that alters the Burn.

Thanks for giving me someone to bounce ideas off.
Commander
# 17
10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Interesting; my testing was several months ago. Going over the patch notes, I didn't see any changes to that. Something definitely has changed, though...good idea with testing Particle Generators, though; I wouldn't have even thought of that.

It makes sense that the Envelope consoles actually help the burn, though; it was so confusing before, lol.

Also, recently, I heard someone in chat mentioning that the Starship Weapons and Starship Energy Weapons skills help the burn, although they didn't specify if this was duration, damage, or both.
Commander
# 18
10-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Also, recently, I heard someone in chat mentioning that the Starship Weapons and Starship Energy Weapons skills help the burn, although they didn't specify if this was duration, damage, or both.
Thanks, I have long history of abusing game systems and working out how things work

As to those skills, Issue I see is that you can't tell without burning a pair of respects, and despite being a lifer I don't have that many flying about.
Career Officer
# 19
10-10-2012, 01:14 AM
I was curious if any type of plasma console effects the burn from Eject Warp Plasma as well....
Commander
# 20
10-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
I was curious if any type of plasma console effects the burn from Eject Warp Plasma as well....
Dunno, go forth and test.

As to the particle genrators. No they don't have any effect on the Plasma burn. But I suspect they might on high yeild Plasma torps. But as I don't use HY plasma torps you
re on your own investigating that one.

However we appear to have gotten side tracked. Any more thoughts on the Varnaus?