Lt. Commander
# 1 Loot in STF Elite
10-10-2012, 05:51 PM
A little rant and wondering concerning the loot aka rewards of the STF Elite. Last weeks these loots are really a joke of a bunch uncommon or rare MK XI junk where you can't even make a decent EC on the exchange with, if you even get some loot. Where is the according Cryptic "The Elite difficulty means that the challenges will be greater, but also the rewards" slogan in the game.

Yes, I know, you get a lock box, wooooot, but I don't play that game of buying keys till you have a hole in your wallet for yet more junk. True, you get 1100 Dilithium Ore, but hey, you are limited to refine only 8000 a day.

IMO, this loot should be at least very rare items MK XI or above, or rare items MK XII, or mebbe a token so those that are playing these STF Elites can refine more then 8000 Dilithium ore a day.

Another remarkable thing. Last STF Elite I did, we did the mission in time, so we got the extra. Everyone on the team has chosen 'NEED' on the items and strangely, nothing of this is been distributed to anyone of the team ??? What use it has it then to complete a STF Elite in time according the expectations ???

Last edited by adorkabledori; 10-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
10-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Loot on 'elite' IS better than the loot on 'normal'. So the part about "The Elite difficulty means that the challenges will be greater, but also the rewards" is technically true. Whether or not the loot has any value on the exchange doesn't matter.

As an aside, the only reason VR items on the exchange have high values is because they are, well... Very Rare. If every piece of gear you got from an STF was purple, they wouldn't be very rare anymore. Over time, their values on the exchange would fall as well as the market gets flooded with them.

So although I would love to get VR drops all the time from STFs, it would not be the right thing to do.
# 3
10-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Latin is right. Loot on normals is garbage. On a good day. Loot on elites is garbage. On a decent day, but it's garbage you can sell/discard for at least decent EC. Also, on normals, the extra only has 3 items, whereas on elite it has 7. And those 7 items are significantly better (in value on exchange/discard value).

And you get EDCs. Gotta love those.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Latin is right. Loot on normals is garbage. On a good day. Loot on elites is garbage. On a decent day, but it's garbage you can sell/discard for at least decent EC. Also, on normals, the extra only has 3 items, whereas on elite it has 7. And those 7 items are significantly better (in value on exchange/discard value).

And you get EDCs. Gotta love those.
Oooooh woooow, you get EDC's You must be the funny one at home :

a. You can turn those in for Very Rare MK XI stuff, but it stops at a certain point as you have all what you needed, can't be sold on exchange for EC's as it's bound on character. Also, after the MK XI stuff, most of the frequent players do wanna step up to the heavier stuff.

b. You can turn it in for dilithium. Great, I would say but all of us is limited to refine only 8000 Dilithium ore a day. Metthinks you'll getting the picture. It's a painstaking long and slow process.

c. You can turn those in for Lock Boxes. Lols, excuse me, but not all of us is stupid to waste real money on stakes of this kind of gamble, where 9 of the 10 you are getting rubbish. BTW, doubting if this is even legal to have such a raffle. Coz that's what it is, a tombola/gamble game.

d. You can trade those in for Doff's. OMG, how many tactical ground & space Doff's do you need in you crew with the same abilities ??? 5 for each section, the rest is dead weight. Sell them on exchange, not possible, coz they are bound to character the moment you pick them up.

Same goes for the rare & very rare borg salvage, turn those in for weapons & gear ??? Same situation as in the EDC's.

Getting common & uncommon during the STF's, which are worth less then nothing on exchange or discharge, together with a bunch of batteries isn't getting rewarded according the level you are playing but more demotivating to play it any longer.
Career Officer
# 5
10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I've got to agree - STF Elite loot drops suck.

Last few grounds I've done I've been getting Mk XI blue Bat'leths - resale value? Oh, about 1000 ECs... Big whoop.

I think in the entire time I've been playing I've only ever equipped two loot items from STFs - one was a MK XI blue Neutronium Alloy console (which was handy but not really great 'cause you get them for free from the Undine mission) and a blue Mk XII Bat'leth which had about 2 DPS more than the Shard Sword of Kahless (and didn't look broken whilst my character was holding it).

At this point, I'd rather get a flat 10000 ECs from each STF run - I'd make way more money than with the vendor trash they hand out.

Also, yeah - EDCs - they're useless once you've gotten most of the stuff they buy. I've got a few hundred in the bank gathering dust...

Oh, and rare Proto Tech in Elite STFs is a real kick in the nuts - please get rid of it...

*Edit* and lastly, what the heck happened to large batteries?? I hardly ever see them drop any more - at least they're useful...
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012

Last edited by weylandjuarez; 10-12-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
... what the heck happened to large batteries?? I hardly ever see them drop any more - at least they're useful...
You answered your own question...
Lieutenant
# 7
10-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Heck I would just be happy with FINALLY getting my Gun and Shield...lost count a LONG time ago of how many runs I have.

On Average for Cure Ground Elite 3 times a week during the weekdays, anywhere from 3-7 times on a Saturday for 3 months now and not one Prototype Gun yet.

Last edited by liquidraven26; 10-12-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-13-2012, 03:57 PM
If those rare & very rare salvage and the items you create with weren't bound to character, then people could place them on exchange. Now I have a bunch in my bank, gathering dust like they are laying open in the desert. Got all the weapons I need, in every range and color. Yup, turn them in into dilithium but then the same problem as described above : only 8000 Dil ore to refine a day. A drop in form like a token where you would be able to refine by exp. 20,000 or 50,000 dilithium at once would be a nice thing.
Captain
# 9
10-15-2012, 12:32 PM
The drops are hit and miss when it comes to elites. The 'hit' side of it can be fun though.

I've been grinding elites primarily to pay for ship upgrades, which at first glance seems silly (grinding to buy better weapons to grind better). What it does for me is allow me to try out new combos, test weapons etc. Even more fun when they drop a new ship into the mix (Z-store, lobi, boxes). At this point it's all about dilithium to buy fleet weapons.

The drops are secondary to the 1100 dilithium per elite. Anything else is gravy (for generic ec ~25-75 ec on average).

Bonus drops - like blue borg tech or purple stuff are awesome, and happen 33% of the time in my experience.

'Holy-CR@P' purple drops like rare borg tech are rarer and much appreciated, if anything for the value in dilithium. Occasionally - like 1 per 30 elite STF's I get something that has serious value on the open market [Acc]x2 or 3, or XII Nuetronium etc. I've gotten the big ticket stuff maybe 5x in the past 6 months from STF's - 15+ times from boxes opened. Yeah, I like opening boxes.

Occasionally we will have a day where it seems to rain borg tech (one game in particular CSE where 3 of us got Engine tech at the same time).

Bottom line - STF's IMO are about dilithium. The drops are GRAVY.
Captain
# 10
10-15-2012, 01:20 PM
with the new reputation system, those random drop things will be a tale from the past.

as i heard it on the priority one podcast on youtube, all EDC and tech drops, etc...will be transformed in reputation, once reached a certain reputation you can get the sets you desire. No more chance of drops.
Go pro or go home