Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 71
10-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
The feds have no raider size class of vessels. though it has been said the Aquariuos is close.

This is not to say that the feds do not have vessel that can be used like a raider.
The Defiant is a better decloaker/Alpha Striker.
The Aquariuos, thanks to its 2 Universal BOff slots, can be set-up to do the same.
The MVAM with its LTC Science BOff can be set up to mimic the SciBop in layout and effectivness.

Tactical surprise attacking and buffing, tactical plus science surprise attacking and debuffing. These are the mainly used roles of the BoP and the feds have the vessels to do the same and often better.

Yeah, that's another thing I forgot to mention. The Federation faction has escorts that can generally do everything that the BoPs can do, but better. Possible exception is the MVAE, because it doesn't have the EBC and doesn't have quite as many sci boffslot options. It still works quite well.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,306
# 72
10-11-2012, 09:59 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
I'n cannon Romulan cloaking devices were
Superior to Klingon cloaking devices I'n every
Way.
The defiant had a Romulan cloaking device
And I'm sure that in the interest of co-operation the RSE gave Sisko to very top model cloaking technology they possessed.

Quote:
Klingon cloaking devices were Romulan low end
Models that the Klingons had to reverse engineer
To produce themselves
Yes, acquired in aprox. 2269 during a vessel swap between the two factions, 140 years before STO. And thanks to canon evidence the KDF not only back engineered it but improved upon the technology as well.


Quote:
That's cannon STO game balance is another
Story
We could have canon use of claoking in STO if the cloak dynamic was changed to be all battle cloak for cloaking vessels and the fed only had on cloaking ship at all. The galaxy-X dreadnaught, becuase the cloaking Defiant from canon was destroyed.

Even if we ignored that fact and just made claoking the same across teh game the cries of unfair would still rise up when the fed realized they have only two cloaking vessels total and are getting no more while the KDF has several.
Frankly thats a can of worms best left unopened and claoking can remain the way it is ingame.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,614
# 73
10-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Oh Snap, not this topic again...

I think as a Mod I hate it even worse than a KDF player does.

All it ever does is start arguments that get nasty.

And frankly, I'm on the side of the KDF players for this one. The Defiant does not need, nor should it get, a battle cloak. Not unless every other vessel with cloaking technology also gets it.

Yes, that's right. Battlecruisers with Battle Cloaks. Then there'd be no doubt the KDF is "OP".

Furthermore, as long as we're playing "Why Not?", why not give every KDF vessel the Enhanced Battle Cloak?

I mean, the Klingons have had that technology since the time of Admiral James T. Kirk. I see no reason why they shouldn't have it on most of their fleet by now.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 521
# 74
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
haven't read this thread yet, but am responding just to what I had read in the subject.

As I have responded many times over the years, if the defiant gets a battle cloak like the BOP, then something has to give. In the BOP's case, it lost shields, hull, tac slot, bloff slot, and the same should be for the defiant.

I believe the player should have a choice though.. to equip or not equip the battle cloak... so if I do not want my ship stats messed with, then I don't have to equip the battle cloak.
Member since January 2010. I AM NOT A PWE FAN!!!!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,969
# 75
10-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfomega View Post
As I have responded many times over the years, if the defiant gets a battle cloak like the BOP, then something has to give. In the BOP's case, it lost shields, hull, tac slot, bloff slot, and the same should be for the defiant.
I certainly know some KDF players complain about the Defiant being OP.

The only way to not change the ship is simply make it a Battlecloak with a hideous timer, something like 5 minutes and then it became far less useful because Cloaked Defiant Captains usually run it like a Cloaked Battlecruiser Captain, its for the initial Alpha strike ... not as like BoP that use it to disengage.

In fact I play more like a KDF in a Defiant that some KDF battlecruisers that dont even bother to cloak before opening fire with all weapons on a target.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,332
# 76
10-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlross View Post
I don't see how it would break the ship. That's stupid. I don't see why the Klingons can have it but the defiant or galaxy x can't.

We are only talking about 2 ships.
Not everyone uses them anyway.

It probably won't happen but I wish it would. Why should only Klingons have it?

And btw, there is no need for name calling ******!
I would be more for the Gal-X having the battle cloak than the Defiant getting it. That being said, I don't think any Fed' ship should get the battle cloak.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 278
# 77
10-13-2012, 04:26 AM
Another point is that Klingon ships have the cloak build into their ships, on the Galaxy-X and on the Defiant you have to sacrafice a console slot.

My solution would be give the Quin Heavy Raptor a turn rate of 17 like the Defiant, but add to the Fleet Quin Heavy Raptor not only the better turn rate also giver her a Battle Cloak. That way both factions get equal ships.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 512
# 78
10-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Could have sworn the KDF ships sacrificed something to install that innate cloak, but here's my quick spitballed suggestion:

Make a craftable cloak console that works on anything, but is "experimental" - read, unreliable and has a longer cooldown than the cloaks in game currently. Could alternately have a time limit or a power drain component... something to make it inferior to the current consoles/innate cloak.

Make a Very Rare, difficult DOff mission that uses multiple crafted cloak consoles to make a special account-bind-on-pickup Battle Cloak console.

The Battle Cloak console alone should be worthless. Give it a base hull, shield, and crew % based debuff (doubt it could disable a BOff slot), and the ability to upgrade any *other* cloak into a battle cloak - a crafted experimental cloak console becomes an experimental Battle Cloak (with all the problems of the experimental cloak), a C-Store or Innate cloak becomes a straight Battle Cloak, and an innate Battle Cloak becomes an Enhanced Battle Cloak.

I might also suggest that the T5 Tactical Escort and it's variants and the Dreadnought Galaxy-X be converted to having an innate cloak (and lose a console slot), OR that the KDF ships be converted to using and coming with a character-bound (non-experimental) cloak console (but gaining back a console slot as a balance point to do so - this is my preference!). I'd also love it if you put a crafted Experimental Cloak Console on an Oberth it could pass through solid objects, but if the timer/power runs out before it is safe on the other side it blows up.


Basically, if you want a Battle Cloak, it should cost you (or me) a (additional) console slot.
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 4-4-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 10-13-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 948
# 79
10-13-2012, 09:41 AM
No. We already took carriers. We take battlecloak then there is NO REASON to play a Klingon.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,754
# 80
10-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohd View Post
Could have sworn the KDF ships sacrificed something to install that innate cloak, but here's my quick spitballed suggestion:

Make a craftable cloak console that works on anything, but is "experimental" - read, unreliable and has a longer cooldown than the cloaks in game currently. Could alternately have a time limit or a power drain component... something to make it inferior to the current consoles/innate cloak.

Make a Very Rare, difficult DOff mission that uses multiple crafted cloak consoles to make a special account-bind-on-pickup Battle Cloak console.

The Battle Cloak console alone should be worthless. Give it a base hull, shield, and crew % based debuff (doubt it could disable a BOff slot), and the ability to upgrade any *other* cloak into a battle cloak - a crafted experimental cloak console becomes an experimental Battle Cloak (with all the problems of the experimental cloak), a C-Store or Innate cloak becomes a straight Battle Cloak, and an innate Battle Cloak becomes an Enhanced Battle Cloak.

I might also suggest that the T5 Tactical Escort and it's variants and the Dreadnought Galaxy-X be converted to having an innate cloak (and lose a console slot), OR that the KDF ships be converted to using and coming with a character-bound (non-experimental) cloak console (but gaining back a console slot as a balance point to do so - this is my preference!). I'd also love it if you put a crafted Experimental Cloak Console on an Oberth it could pass through solid objects, but if the timer/power runs out before it is safe on the other side it blows up.


Basically, if you want a Battle Cloak, it should cost you (or me) a (additional) console slot.
You forgot to upgrade the B'rel retrofit cloak. Also, the Oberth thingy is problematic for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbmoney View Post
No. We already took carriers. We take battlecloak then there is NO REASON to play a Klingon.
Except the Klingons also benefit from the idea for several reasons.

1. All BoPs can now fly B'rel style.
2. Virtually all Klingon ships can use battle cloak reliably.
3. All KDF ships would be able to use battle cloaks.
4. The B'rel retrofit gets a further enhanced cloak.

All the feds get is the ability to cloak their ships, and a battle cloak for the Defiant-R and Galaxy-X.

True now, the ships that don't come with innate cloaking would be somewhat disadvantaged in that respect due to the unreliable functionality of the console, but...

I want this!

Edit: Huh. I just realized doing that would require a massive combat revamp.

Either we'd have to be able to target by heading rather than by entity (guesswork fire, anyone?) or we'd have to get some MAJOR stealth detection upgrades as an option. Otherwise we're just causing massive amounts of PvP zombie matches due to ships cloaking and decloaking practically at will with little chance of getting shot down. Unless the experimental battle cloak had a chance to randomly shut down and automatically come online (B'rel style, except with no weapons triggering it), periodically giving windows for the opponent to destroy you. Might not be a bad idea to do the same for upgraded standard cloaks, as most ships can't be blown up in a tiny 15 second window, even if you took their shields down!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.

Last edited by dalolorn; 10-13-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:55 AM.