Captain
I originally posted this as part of my ongoing ship interior proposal, but have since decided this deserved its own thread.

The premise is that the current crafting system of paying with data samples has (IMHO) been sidelined by VA gear, as well as the lack of relevancy to established Trek canon of ship crews being able to fabricate nearly all required gear themselves without having to pull into a Starbase regularly.

- Players go to social hubs and buy from vendors one-time "schematic unlocks" for gear (weapons, armor, shields, engines, deflectors, kits), while newbies can also buy ready-made white quality gear if they wish to

- With the schematic unlocked, players can obtain from their ship's replicator white quality gear of their current Mk level with baseline stats

- Data samples can be used to upgrade these white quality gear by adding modifiers / increasing quality up to purple - the player visits a particular facility inside their ship to do so (perhaps a new engineering workshop room or a cargo bay)

- Custom kits, for instance combining a stealth module with a plasma grenade and ambush, could also be made this way.

- Item visuals can also be "crafted" this way.

The only caveat is that this idea effectively eliminates the need for Memory Alpha.

Thoughts?

Joint Dev/Community discussion on customizable and gameplay-relevant ship interiors:
Proposal Document // Feedback Thread
Captain
# 2
10-11-2012, 05:04 PM
I could never wrap my head around Memory Alpha dogmatic appearance in crafting... If anything, it slows down crafting because I have to skip between Earth and MA for resupply runs. It wouldn't be as annoying if I didn't have to go through so many loading screens!

And no, I refuse to get a freighter, or a D'kora. <.<

Maybe the freighter if we could have more skins...

Any way, maybe some high-end gear (that require high-tier unreplicatables) need to be crafted at MA, but for everything else can we have them done in the Engineering dept?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 3
10-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
I could never wrap my head around Memory Alpha dogmatic appearance in crafting... If anything, it slows down crafting because I have to skip between Earth and MA for resupply runs. It wouldn't be as annoying if I didn't have to go through so many loading screens!

And no, I refuse to get a freighter, or a D'kora. <.<

Maybe the freighter if we could have more skins...

Any way, maybe some high-end gear (that require high-tier unreplicatables) need to be crafted at MA, but for everything else can we have them done in the Engineering dept?
You realize there is a bank and mailbox at MA, in addition to an exchange...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 4
10-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
You realize there is a bank and mailbox at MA, in addition to an exchange...
Actually, I didn't! Didn't really like the Sciency types much.

Maybe I should actually step into MA some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.