Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
# 1 Wells Boff layout
10-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Having flown the Mobius for a while, I found it -- surprisingly -- difficult to come up with a good boff layout for my Wells Temporal Science Vessel. For one, because I'm an engineer (who just recently respecced a bit for sci); but primariy, I think, because the boff layout is simply a bit problematic by itself.

Lt. Commander Universal Station: ET1, EPtA2, DEM2
Lieutenant Universal Station: TT1, TT2
Ensign Engineering Station: EPtS1
Lieutenant Science Station: TSS1, HEM2
Commander Science Station: TSS1, PO1, EnS2, GW3

Aka: Whitestar

The Ensign Engineering Station allows for only thing, really: EPtS1. Now, I could have easily put another EPtS1 in the Lt. Commander Universal Station ensign slot, but that would undercut the effectiveness of EPtA2 (3x EPtS skills competing with each other, whereas 2 is just fine, for a chain). And I really wanted EPtA2 too. After all, I'm in a science vessel, so my usual low aux power level simply won't do. So, I added two purple damage control doffs that shorten the recharge time between EPtX skils (and Photonic Officer 1 helps too). And I'm rather pleased with the result: my aux levels are now at max almost constantly! (with only a few seconds for it to lower a bit). And, because of the shortened recharge time, I don't really miss the second EPtS1 either (especially not with the 2x TSS1 running concurrently).

The 2x TT looks a bit fugly, but can't be helped (as going 'vertical' would mean killing my second engineer station).

Now for science. At first I had Tyken's rift. It shares a cooldown with GW3, though (and I definitely wanted the uninterrupted latter). So, I went with Energy Siphon 2. I wanted Tachyon beam 3 there too, but ppl told me it's crap.

I also added a gravimetric scientist doff, to create an extra GW aftershock, and a purple warp corp engineer for improved power levels on use of an EPtX skill.

So, any suggestions? :)
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 278
# 2
10-11-2012, 08:07 AM
I do have the following suggestions, without making too many changes to your build.

Your Engineering Team 1 will conflict with the cooldown of your Tactical Team 1 and 2. Something has to give, and I think it should be Engineering Team. Replace it with Emergency Power to Shields I.

Replace Direct Energy Modulation 2 (it won't be much help to you) with Emergency Power to Auxiliary 3.

Replace Tactical Team 2 with either Beam Overload 2 or Fire at Will 2.

Finally, replace your two purple damage control doffs with two purple conn duty officers (tactical team version shortens the recharge time).

Making these changes will enable you to have Emergency Power to Shields, Emergency Power to Auxiliary, and Tactical Team running all the time,

I, too, am an Engineer.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,511
# 3
10-11-2012, 08:12 AM
To be honest, it's just nice to see the Wells getting some attention. Everyone saying how superior the mobius is and all that.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,078
# 4
10-11-2012, 08:15 AM
scrap the ltdcmdr engi, get a ltcmdr tac...way more usefull.

AP:Beta combined with grav well does some serious dmg...definately more synergy than a DEM2.

maybe add fire at will to spread that AP:Beta to all targets within the grav well.

if you actually want to use only one TT, get 2 conn officers...same effect.

a PH1 and a TSS2 in the commander slot would be my choice.

actually a scramble sensor for targets in the GW, so they shoot at each other may be nice...something i wanted to test myself.

so i would do something like this:

Lt. Commander Universal Station: TT1, FAW2, AP:Beta2
Lieutenant Universal Station: TT1, TS2...or EPtW1/EPtS1 (depending), AuxtSIF1/RSP1
Ensign Engineering Station: EPtW1/EPtS1 (depending)
Lieutenant Science Station: HEM1, TSS2
Commander Science Station: PH1, TSS2/TBR1, ScramS/TSS3, GW3

also your skilltree is way too overloaded with 9 point skills. 6 in most of them is sufficent and lets you keep some for aux performance for instance and others.
Also phasers and antiproton mixing (or is that from the temporal set)? if you fully skill flow capacitator get some polarons/tetryons/polarzed disruptors or so use that synergy.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 10-11-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
# 5
10-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohtoh View Post
Your Engineering Team 1 will conflict with the cooldown of your Tactical Team 1 and 2.
Yep, that is always an unfortunate side-effect of chaining TT. ET1 doesn't do much good, anyway.

Quote:
Something has to give, and I think it should be Engineering Team. Replace it with Emergency Power to Shields I.

Replace Direct Energy Modulation 2 (it won't be much help to you) with Emergency Power to Auxiliary 3.

Replace Tactical Team 2 with either Beam Overload 2 or Fire at Will 2.

Finally, replace your two purple damage control doffs with two purple conn duty officers (tactical team version shortens the recharge time).

Making these changes will enable you to have Emergency Power to Shields, Emergency Power to Auxiliary, and Tactical Team running all the time,

I, too, am an Engineer.
Hmm, I don't see how you can run 2x EPtS and 2x EPtA concurrently, as they all share the same cooldown. I.e.: it will work for 2x EPtS, and 2x TT1. But I don''t see how I could possibly squeeze 2x EPtA in the mix as well.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 278
# 6
10-11-2012, 10:07 AM
There are other posts which elaborate on the chaining of two different types of Emergency Power abilities. I currently chain Emergency Power to Weapons and Emergency Power to Shields.

Going with Emergency Power to Shields and Emergency Power to Auxiliary

Step 1> Activate 1st EPtA... puts 1st EPtS on a 15 second cooldown.

Step 2> When 1st EPtS cooldown ends, activate; it puts 2nd EPtA on 15 second cooldown.

Step 3> When 2nd EPtA cooldown ends, activate; it starts a 15 second cooldown on 2nd EPtS

Step 4> When 2nd EPtS cooldown ends, activate; it starts a 15 second cooldown on 1st EPtA.

Step 5> When 1st EPtA cooldown ends, activate; again it starts a 15 second cooldoan on 1st EPtS.

Its a constant cycle.

It is better explained here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=224469
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
# 7
10-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
scrap the ltdcmdr engi, get a ltcmdr tac...way more usefull.

AP:Beta combined with grav well does some serious dmg...definately more synergy than a DEM2.

maybe add fire at will to spread that AP:Beta to all targets within the grav well.

if you actually want to use only one TT, get 2 conn officers...same effect.

a PH1 and a TSS2 in the commander slot would be my choice.

actually a scramble sensor for targets in the GW, so they shoot at each other may be nice...something i wanted to test myself.

so i would do something like this:

Lt. Commander Universal Station: TT1, FAW2, AP:Beta2
Lieutenant Universal Station: TT1, TS2...or EPtW1/EPtS1 (depending), AuxtSIF1/RSP1
Ensign Engineering Station: EPtW1/EPtS1 (depending)
Lieutenant Science Station: HEM1, TSS2
Commander Science Station: PH1, TSS2/TBR1, ScramS/TSS3, GW3

Thanks for your advice! :) I couldn't bring myself to go all tactical again, like I did on the Mobius (with 3 tact stations, even), but I nonetheless followed a few of your very useful suggestions. Since i still didn't want to lose my 'always aux at 100' setup, I kept the dual EPtX chain, and eventually wound up with this:

Lt. Commander Universal Station: TT1, BFAW2, APB2
Lieutenant Universal Station: ET1, EPtA
Ensign Engineering Station: EPtS1
Lieutenant Science Station: HEM1, TSS2
Commander Science Station: TSS1, PH1, ScramS, GW3

With 2x purple damage control doffs that shorten the recharge time between EPtX skils, and 2x 'Hamlet' tacts for reduced TT time. And a purple one for the aftershock with GW3.

Now a word on the setup:

* Your idea to replace DEM2 for ATB2 was excellent! (And I could achieve this simply by swapping stations)

* HEM2 is rarely needed indeed, so I went with HEM1, TSS2 (little extra shield never hurts, as TSS not as powerful as EPtS to start with)

* Apart from only needing 1x TT1 now, another boon that comes with the 'Hamlets' is the +10 buff to attack patterns; so the APB2 is now even stengthened by the dual Hamlet doffs!

P.S. The 'phaser' in my above loadout was just a remnant of an earlier build; please, disregard it. It's an all AP boat (plus a quantum). I updated the loadout accordingly.

Thanks again for the advice. Good stuff here. :)

Last edited by meimeitoo; 10-11-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 75
# 8 Task Force Spectre
10-11-2012, 01:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilyavaztLHA

You want to know how to build Science? Join Task Force Spectre. Get involved and I'll spill the secrets of Science.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 549
# 9
10-12-2012, 03:00 AM
well, I have a different buld for my wells (and sci captain).. All I wanted was a science ship with some dps and abilities to debuff enemies and heal teammates... so at the moment this is my build (for pve):

lt universal boff: THY1, THY2
lt cmd universal boff: TT1, BO2, BO3

ensign eng: ET1

lt sci boff: TSS1, TSS2
cmd sci boff: PH1, HE2, GW1, GW3


front weapons: 2xDBB 1xquantum torpedo
rear weapons: 2xBA, 1x photon torpedo

omega shield
borg engine and deflector

eng console: 2xneutronium alloy 1xborg console
sci console: tripler cylinder, 2xfield generator, 1xfiel emitter amplifier

moreover I use 2 purple conn officer (TT version) to reduce at 15sec the TT cooldown

this way I have high shield's regeneration rate and thanks to TT, the 2 conn officer and TSS the ship rcan tank for a while. My only problem is the shared cooldown between TT and ET... but ET is still usefull.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
# 10
10-12-2012, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurialo View Post
well, I have a different buld for my wells (and sci captain).. All I wanted was a science ship with some dps and abilities to debuff enemies and heal teammates... so at the moment this is my build (for pve):

lt universal boff: THY1, THY2
lt cmd universal boff: TT1, BO2, BO3

ensign eng: ET1

lt sci boff: TSS1, TSS2
cmd sci boff: PH1, HE2, GW1, GW3


front weapons: 2xDBB 1xquantum torpedo
rear weapons: 2xBA, 1x photon torpedo

omega shield
borg engine and deflector

eng console: 2xneutronium alloy 1xborg console
sci console: tripler cylinder, 2xfield generator, 1xfiel emitter amplifier

moreover I use 2 purple conn officer (TT version) to reduce at 15sec the TT cooldown

this way I have high shield's regeneration rate and thanks to TT, the 2 conn officer and TSS the ship rcan tank for a while. My only problem is the shared cooldown between TT and ET... but ET is still usefull.

It's hard to work a beam overload build + pure sci, as you're going to have to choose between either (near) max aux or max weps power.

Also, THY1, THY2? THY1 isn't that good, really; but, more importantly, if you're going to be using a second tact boff, the ensign slot should really just contain 'the other' TT1. Save yourself 2 doffs in the process.

Also, ET1 on ensign eng? You have no EPtS at all! A bold choice! :)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 PM.